Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

3 minutes ago, NUT said:

Guess what? Just had ANOTHER flash of lightning/rumble of thunder

Think we heard that one here in Falkirk (unless the kids are having a stompy disco upstairs). 

• Like 5
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

Working in Fife Sunday night to Thursday night, keeping an eye on this thread as I hope the weather isn’t bad as it’s outside work. Doesn’t look good for me unfortunately, may double up on thermals and wet gear ?

• Like 6
9 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Mmmmmm,

Latest Met office update for this area is a mixture of sleet and snow on Saturday,with heavy snow for Monday.

Sounds good, if the forecast holds.

It's certainly going to be cold enough on occasions next week for snow, but also marginal too, so the forecast will change several times before Monday. 

In the meantime, today we have windy and very mild forecast. It already sounds quite breezy outside. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

Looking forward to my cycle to work ??

And....to hell with that! My commuting carriage of choice will be a Lothian Buses 44 which just happens to stop right outside a fine purveyor of Scottish morning rolls and good coffee!

"Much more sensible on a day like that" says my wife who insists I need to lose weight ??

• Like 6
26 minutes ago, 101_North said:

And....to hell with that! My commuting carriage of choice will be a Lothian Buses 44 which just happens to stop right outside a fine purveyor of Scottish morning rolls and good coffee!

"Much more sensible on a day like that" says my wife who insists I need to lose weight ??

As begbie said though its a ducking tightrope

Mad rainy windy cycle or a mad bus journey where the public attempt to interact with you. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ravelin said:

It's certainly going to be cold enough on occasions next week for snow, but also marginal too, so the forecast will change several times before Monday. 

In the meantime, today we have windy and very mild forecast. It already sounds quite breezy outside. 

Tomorrow looks like being a wintry affair. Unfortunately the Lochnagar hike has been cancelled due to weather - 60mph winds and heavy snow = potential disaster. Have to make do with the local hills.

• Like 7
26 minutes ago, edo said:

As begbie said though its a ducking tightrope

Mad rainy windy cycle or a mad bus journey where the public attempt to interact with you. 

You are not wrong sir! I'm sitting here with my roll and coffee and wondering if it really was the correct decision! I hate buses! On the plus side I have no reason to not stop for a pint after work ?

• Like 5

A very blustery and sunny day out there, though very mild at the same time as its currently 12c.

Wondering if the lack of winter has something to do with this story - link

West looks best again for next weeks snow potential, the West Aberdeenshire Snow Shield will no doubt do its business over the next few days for this area.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, jellybaby1969 said:

Another sleety mess to lower levels....

Yep. Plenty of sleety pish at times tomorrow too I supect!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 101_North said:

Yep. Plenty of sleety pish at times tomorrow too I supect!

I'm thinking more snow than sleet tomorrow, uppers looking less marginal than of late. I'm not expecting anything on Monday, maybe some wet flakes mixed in, but these situations rarely bring anything other than rain to Edinburgh. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

Flooding in Paisley after a very wet morning.  

feb21paisleyflood.png

I was over at my Dad's at Kilmacolm this afternoon and it was just a wall of water, even for a wet part of the lowlands it was far worse than normal. The road in the pic above always floods, it used to be the dip under a low railway bridge. The railway is long gone but the road still dips and floods. 

• Like 6

The Tweed valley in front of my home has flooded five times since we moved here in July 2017. Three of those five times has been in the last two weeks.

From 3am tomorrow for seven whole days, my temps only range between -2C and a few hours of 3C on one day forecast. Sleety mix it is.

• Like 7

I cannot remember a wetter day for a long time here. Roads are awash, water pouring off the fields. 

Castle Semple Loch at Lochwinnoch is the highest I've seen it by a long way in the 15 years I have lived in the area. 

Its fair to say my normal route home was off tonight.

IMG_6036.thumb.PNG.505a1504ae0e8d78d1f886e9a45f34c7.PNG

• Like 9
25 minutes ago, JamesM said:

I cannot remember a wetter day for a long time here. Roads are awash, water pouring off the fields. 

Castle Semple Loch at Lochwinnoch is the highest I've seen it by a long way in the 15 years I have lived in the area. 

Its fair to say my normal route home was off tonight.

IMG_6036.thumb.PNG.505a1504ae0e8d78d1f886e9a45f34c7.PNG

71mm of rain there over the last 36 hours according to SEPA. We've had about 36mm in the last 24hrs and around 50mm over the last 36 hours. All made worse by the recent wet weather!

• Like 5

A wee trip to Aviemore with PG junior. Wed: rain. Thurs: beefy snow showers and sunshine - felt like proper winter. Fri: back to persisting it down. 

Flooding in the countryside surrounding the A9 on the drive hame looked significant. 

Back in Comrie, rainfall for the month so far is 250.3mm (30 year average is 79.1mm - for the whole month). 

Starting to wonder if we're heading into (or have reached?) record breaking territory a la December 2015.

The Earn remains scarily high and it's hosing it down. Again. 

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 8
  • Paul locked this topic