Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

I've never paid much attention to the weather type radar for this area before but it's picking up Glen Dochart down into Loch Tay and also Loch Voil up and along to Loch Earn and past Crieff and down through Strathyre. All as areas of sleet or rain:

Screenshot_20200211-191233_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 9
8 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Can anyone have a stab at whether ppn in Caithness tomorrow is more likely to be snow than it was today?

Evening HC,

In my far from educated opinion: Certainly lower 850s and (dare I mention it!) wet bulb freezing levels (they were up at 500m there today) tomorrow but I’d still be surprised to hear of any significant accumulating snow at or close to sea level...hope I’m wrong of course!

• Like 8
13 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Can anyone have a stab at whether ppn in Caithness tomorrow is more likely to be snow than it was today?

Much more likely, 950s are 3C colder up there tomorrow compared to today. What height will you be at?

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

I think there will be a good chance of it being snow as colder 850 temps move in  and dew points and temperatures look fine anim_zer5.thumb.gif.859523ea28216fdd5a715022d578d5ff.gif nmm_uk1-45-36-3.thumb.png.d611376761cae3a19d08d7e4b93e80da.png There is actually a small feature being shown which could enhance the precip image.thumb.png.0fcb10456ed5e9460fe491cf8ff898ed.png 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Hawesy said:

Evening HC,

In my far from educated opinion: Certainly lower 850s and (dare I mention it!) wet bulb freezing levels (they were up at 500m there today) tomorrow but I’d still be surprised to hear of any significant accumulating snow at or close to sea level...hope I’m wrong of course!

1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Much more likely, 950s are 3C colder up there tomorrow compared to today. What height will you be at?

I'll be at about 100m most of the day - got some rather isolated spots to visit... Today was horrendous in thick horizontal sleet, can't really get much worse.  Snow would be welcome!

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I think there will be a good chance of it being snow as colder 850 temps move in  and dew points and temperatures look fine anim_zer5.thumb.gif.859523ea28216fdd5a715022d578d5ff.gif nmm_uk1-45-36-3.thumb.png.d611376761cae3a19d08d7e4b93e80da.png There is actually a small feature being shown which could enhance the precip image.thumb.png.0fcb10456ed5e9460fe491cf8ff898ed.png 

Yeah that 'small feature' looks interesting! Something or nothing!

• Like 5

OK. Giving up this cold snap. Heavy snow outside again as there has been all day but it's not sticking. Frustrating day as the charts looked much better for today. Thankful to have at least got yesterdays fun with the kids. 

• Like 9

Sunny day today with a max of 5.5c, but feeling bitter in the wind.

Really gusty winds this evening - going by the completely subjective criteria of rattling roof tiles its actually stormier this evening compared to Storm Ciara over the weekend.

Still dry though, the West Aberdeenshire snowshield is impressively powerful.

• Like 9

One remarkable feature of this cold spell here is that the temperature has sat at between 1.3C-1.6C for a couple of days while the sleet has lashed down on and off but far more on than off. Close but no rollie let alone a cigar.

• Like 7
39 minutes ago, 101_North said:

OK. Giving up this cold snap. Heavy snow outside again as there has been all day but it's not sticking. Frustrating day as the charts looked much better for today. Thankful to have at least got yesterdays fun with the kids. 

Dont worry we still have the will it / wont it to come on Thursday with lower pressure moving up from the south ... ? Has been good to get some snow this winter though many of us could have had some decent lying snow if everything had went right but you win some you lose some, still might catch a few showers tomorrow.

• Like 7