Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

So frustrating - hammering down again but simply temporarily replacing what melted after the last shower. So close to being a great event. Fingers crossed it becomes less marginal at some point. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

A few snowflakes blowing around in the wind, and sun, this morning in Alford from one shower that had managed to breach the Cairngorm Snow Shield. It really was very light though and the rest of the day so far has been bright and sunny, with a keen wind.

The MetO forecast for Alford has more chance of snow this evening and overnight, but with the wind still being shown as westerly then I'm not going to hold my breath. For the NE we really need a front to move in, or for the wind to be coming from a NW direction through to E for showers to be of any use.

• Like 5

Another deluge of hail swirling around in the wind here in the Lanarkshire lowlands. It’s the only thing that’s properly turned the ground white, despite heavy snow showers on and off all day.  I expect it will disappear again once the sun re-appears.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Can someone explain the wet bulb temperature,,,many thanks 

The showers look a little lighter tomorrow too

I think it’s the temperature as read by a thermometer with wet cloth wrapped on the bulb, and it therefore indicates the lowest temperature the air at any given time can potentially reach through evaporative cooling.

But someone who really knows what they are talking about can correct or confirm this!

• Like 4
Just now, Spindrift2017 said:

I think it’s the temperature as read by a thermometer with wet cloth wrapped on the bulb, and it therefore indicates the lowest temperature the air at any given time can potentially reach through evaporative cooling.

But someone who really knows what they are talking about can correct or confirm this!

I'm no expert, but that's my understanding of it too. When you see snow falling on puddles or wet grass and it kinda does nothing for ages but then all of a sudden everything goes white, that's the point at which wet bulb temperatures are approached freezing. Locally, the ground level air mass can be cooled enough by heavy precipitation for wet bulb temperatures to change, but in showery, windy, mobile conditions, wet bulbs are mostly determined by the overall air mass and therefore those wet bulb temperatures are harder to shift downwards.

• Like 9
9 minutes ago, Spindrift2017 said:

I think that Mr Hawes is the person to ask about wet bulbs. Here they are too high (or soaking) just now as that last shower despite being quite heavy did not stick. Took a walk between showers but got caught in it. Bumped into some surprised visitors in theTechnology Park area. 

E60B40EE-F5B0-4CAE-B92F-F30A34BDCA3C.png

• Like 9
16 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Just enough snow on the ground for the kids to have some fun. Incoming storm in the distance...

1F72754D-2F5F-4F4F-BABA-99812DCA6619.thumb.jpeg.5ea0d9fefb7b5b567e438d060c5344dc.jpeg

Good pic, that's beginning to rumble away here now ?

• Like 5

Woah, just looked out the window and a CG came down just in front of me with instant thunder. It appears to have knocked out my security camera as I just tried to connect to it to get the footage and it's not working!

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 8