Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

I'm remembering that in the Jan 2018 serious snow that hit Ayrshire/Lanarkshire/Borders the Meto warnings were very dynamic with ambers appearing nailing significantly heavier periods of snow within the general showers 12-18 hours before they hit. Was impressive how locally correct these became with 500 Square km pinpoints being nailed-on seemingly like magic. 

Keep refreshing that wx warning page this evening! 

• Like 5
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

Wind is coming WSW/W now and high tide has arrived here - gusts still as expected 50/55mph.

There is more chance of me seeing 30cm’s of settling snow tomorrow at sea level than there is of Central Scotland getting gusts anywhere near 70mph to 85mph today.

Sun is out and currently 10c! 

Cove road is a 30 minutes walk from my house - hopefully no homes affected.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 6
Just now, Ross90 said:

Well it's 12:40 and i'm calling it now, the bbc were talking rubbish.Unless there's a rapidly forming sting jet nowhere in the central belt is getting 85 mph gusts.The weather has been very much in line with what the met has been predicting for the last few days.Winds peaked maybe slightly up on yesterday in the mid 50s between 10-11am here.A yellow warning was all it was worth, even Brendan has stronger winds at it's peak.

I think when looking at forecasts for almost any type of weather but especially wind whichever model goes for the lowest speeds is usually the most accurate. 

It's breezy at worst here in Callander, not sure it's happening.

• Like 2

59.6mph just now. That's the highest we've had here since 18th September 2018 (64mph). Amazing how you can hear surges like that approaching over 10 seconds or so, as the sound builds. Had to shore up the fence as a few more like that and it's coming down.

• Like 6

8c, gusty winds and occasional passing showers of rain but overall sunny - nothing notable weather-wise so far.

Impressive squall line over England now though....

image.thumb.png.116add8a44b508f295d5831372a937ee.png

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 5

7C, a few blobby showers and a bit draughty, could be starting to pick up a bit but it'll have to get its skates on if the forecasts are right.

Met office says sustained 30mph here, now, which is crap. 10 to 15mph with occasional slightly stronger gusts.

However the latest from the airport just over the water is 26mph so what do I know?

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 7

I would say my last noteworthy severe gale event was Storm Gareth last March - wind was from a North Westerly direction and the constant roar through the night/early hours kept me awake! (60/65mph here)

Storm Gareth advances with floods and 75mph winds

_106000330_prestwickweather.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A Met Office warning of potential disruption remains in place after strong overnight winds and rain.

I think Hurricane Bawbag raised the bar with regards to storms and of course the media attention in Scotland it received. ? Also the first ever Met Office red warning for wind issued in the UK.

Scotland storm blackout hitting thousands

_57217948_jex_1259114_de27-1.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Police tell people in Scotland not to travel, as severe winds of up to 165mph hit the country, leaving more than 50,000 people without power.

It really all depends on what wind direction affects you most/how sheltered you are - makes us all have different views/favourites on previous/current storms. 

Storm Ciara was showing as a really big wind event for Scotland on the models/charts a few days ago - think we all realise now why there was no Amber warning for wind. (It’s all pretty standard stuff for us all - notable thing for me is the prolonged strong winds over a number of days)

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 7

165 mph, they should have added at the highest weather station... some of those headlines ? that one was one of the longest lasting that i can remember, a good 7-8 hours of 60-80mph gusts.

The two strongest storms i've experienced by a distance were the 1998 boxing day storm and Jan 3rd 2012, they're the only ones that reached 90 mph in inland parts of strathclyde in my lifetime.

• Like 2

Very wet overnight and now we just have squally showers. Curently 8c.

Perhaps the BBC should have delayed this story for a few days 

_110815799_plateauncairngorms.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Enthusiasts say they have noticed a difference in conditions on the hills in recent years.

as the mountains especially the western ones look like getting a good top up of snow this week with all the gullies getting well filled in the strong winds. The snow  drift scars on the mountains in the late spring and early summer  could be quite impressive.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Best snaw is gonnae be at ma hoose. ?

--

Wind stairtin tae whistle. Rain oan. Aff we go. 

Hi I’ve got a few days off so I’m heading up to Scotland in the search for some white stuff,not sure where best to head,fort William,was thinking with it being more in the west,is it high up there.or was looking at Aviemore,will that still get the showers from the west as it is a bit further east..Any recommendations would be appreciated 

Cheers jason

6 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

Aye, windier now...

6 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

Aye, windier now...

What are the chances of the A82 being open tomorrow? does it close a lot due to snow? I am thinking of going to the Kingshouse Hotel in Glencoe

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

The two strongest storms i've experienced by a distance were the 1998 boxing day storm and Jan 3rd 2012, they're the only ones that reached 90 mph in inland parts of strathclyde in my lifetime.

Yeah the Jan 2012 one was bonkers here. Never heard anything quite like that in my life. That constant roar, interspersed by the sound of the occasional 150yr old beech tree thudding down outside.

Wasn't there something in May, maybe 2011? That was quite damaging here as the trees were coming into leaf.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, jason6347 said:

Hi I’ve got a few days off so I’m heading up to Scotland in the search for some white stuff,not sure where best to head,fort William,was thinking with it being more in the west,is it high up there.or was looking at Aviemore,will that still get the showers from the west as it is a bit further east..Any recommendations would be appreciated 

Cheers jason

What are the chances of the A82 being open tomorrow? does it close a lot due to snow? I am thinking of going to the Kingshouse Hotel in Glencoe

They're pretty good at keeping that open.....but plan for the worst just in case. Sleeping bag, spade, food and wotnot ? Gawd I haven't had to carry all that stuff for years. Used to carry it around in the car boot as standard when driving about the highlands and Perthshire in winter, and needed some or all of that kit once or twice. Still a good idea in colder spells.

PS - 62mph now.

Edited by Benvironment
  • Like 4