Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Fine windy start to the day with the ground getting dry enough for dust to blow on the farm track. However the afternoon brought even more wind and heavy rain to lay the dust.              It even reached 14c about an hour ago.

• Like 6
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

I think the cold front just went through here ;) That was WILD for about 20 minutes (I had to go get some milk too) that was fun!

• Like 6

Quite a squall not long passed through here. Driving rain and very windy. Now passed and it's all of a sudden dry and calm. Feeling very mild with it. Car reading 12c coming home from work.

• Like 6
10 minutes ago, JamesM said:

Quite a squall not long passed through here. Driving rain and very windy. Now passed and it's all of a sudden dry and calm. Feeling very mild with it. Car reading 12c coming home from work.

I noticed that quite literaly as soon as it stopped raining went eerirly calm

• Like 5

Totally drenched getting out of the car in Thurso at about 16:45, felt like there was some joker in the Co-op car park with a hose, aiming it at all-comers. 30 minutes later and all was quiet.

• Like 7

Rain finally stopped and a wee bit calmer now and still very mild. More rubbish weather to come at the weekend. Winter, where are you? Longing for clear skies and frosty days. 

• Like 8

That was pretty intense earlier! I almost got sucked off the pavement into the Firth of Clyde just down the road from me at McInroy’s point ferry terminal. 
Wind direction shifted to WSW/W and big gusts came through. (Pretty windy all day)
I love how we are all weather geeks and quite a few of us got caught out in it! ?

Winter arrives again on the hills/mountains tomorrow and Thursday - freezing level dropping to 200/300 meters. 
Should be a decent cover on the Cowal Peninsula hills/mountains just across the water from me - would be nice to see some snow again! (Even if it is on higher ground)

5EA70259-D8E1-4000-8545-393B06B446A2.thumb.png.ec0005462bf60516ec6b97131cbfe51b.pngDCC94929-4CE6-4C75-A9A4-F4174F6FF9B1.thumb.png.9b22e8f9ec76dcc75bb1c0cfe5da72de.png

Maybe even a chance of a wintry mix on low ground early Thursday morning - we shall see.

Have a good night! ?

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 7

Stormy old day, bad enough to shred one of the plastic greenhouses ?

Strongest winds accompanied by short bursts of intense rain but overall surprisingly dry today.

Incredibly mild once again, highest temperature seen was 14c when driving through Alford at 19:30 this evening.

And why do people never tie down trampolines when windy weather is forecast - check video in this bbc news article!

• Like 6

More wind in my pants after a curry... that was rubbish. storm my weeble. and to make matters worse my sleet has been moved back for thursday morning. now only 2 hours.. i give up i really do. may just pop into the mad house and call time on this dreadful winter.

Edited by bigsnow
  • Like 6
41 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

More wind in my pants after a curry... that was rubbish. storm my weeble. and to make matters worse my sleet has been moved back for thursday morning. now only 2 hours.. i give up i really do. may just pop into the mad house and call time on this dreadful winter.

Forecast for here tomorrow is wall to wall sunshine and much lower temperatures. Sounds like a cracking day. Unfortunately the heavy snow that was forecast for Thursday morning has disappeared. 

• Like 6

Started to get very windy here again just before 9pm we had some gusts just under 60mph for at least 45 minutes the wind has dropped a bit now but still some big gusts every few minutes and I just found out a few short moments ago a few miles away from me the road has been closed because the power lines have blown over onto the road.

• Like 5

What a strange day temperature wise, when I got home from work the temp on the car showed 10deg, inside the garage the termometer showed 10deg, the road surface temp was 10deg and the cloud temp was also 10deg...I've never seen such consistant temperatures inside and outside before.

All this weird weather...I've a feeling we are going to be in for one hell of a pasting when the cold arrives.

Edited by Klippie
  • Like 5

Much calmer today. Current temp 2.6c which is vastly preferable to the double figure nonsense we've had over the last few days. The sky is clearing and the ferry is just pulling away from the pier. It didn't run on Monday morning either, so odd will be really p1ssed off that they'll be going to school today. Aaaaw, wee shame! Been a while since I've seen clear skies but I'm not kidding myself as there's more crap weather to come. Best make the most of this calm period and take a turn around the garden to see what rubbish has blown in. 

• Like 5

Hallelujah!

4C, dry, bright and calm.

Overnight snow for all of the Scottish ski centres. Snow remains in the forecast for the ski centres up to Tuesday.

Small steps.....

• Like 6
1 hour ago, bigsnow said:

They stole my sleet the ba**ards.. I give up I really do.????

It was heavy sleet and 1.5C above Penicuik at 7.30am. They stole it!!

• Like 6