Snow?

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Its actually a beautiful day in Glasgow. Can just see the first clouds moving in from the west.

Yeah, we've just driven through Glasgow and are under them there clouds at Linwood...here she comes!!

• Like 3

40-45 mph for a time during the night but nothing above 40 so far today in Motherwell.Looks like today and tomorrow has been watered down a bit and it probably won't even be as windy as Brendan was through the central belt.

• Like 3

An interesting one for tonight, I wouldn't be surprised to see rotation within the rain. Helicity values very high anim_rxz0.thumb.gif.c75d383090542278d3c63c66dbb3822f.gif

"Helicity

A property of a moving fluid which represents the potential for helical flow (i.e. flow which follows the pattern of a corkscrew) to evolve. Helicity is proportional to the strength of the flow, the amount of vertical wind shear, and the amount of turning in the flow (i.e. vorticity). Atmospheric helicity is computed from the vertical wind profile in the lower part of the atmosphere (usually from the surface up to 3 km), and is measured relative to storm motion. Higher values of helicity (generally, around 150 m2/s2 or more) favor the development of mid-level rotation (i.e. mesocyclones). Extreme values can exceed 600 m2/s2."  https://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=helicity 

shear also present nmm_uk1-39-12-0.thumb.png.124d504adca91fc27d42ebfb23183c74.png

• Like 6

Hi I’ve got a few days off so I’m heading up to Scotland in the search for some white stuff,not sure where best to head,fort William,was thinking with it being more in the west,is it high up there.or was looking at Aviemore,will that still get the showers from the west as it is a bit further east..Any recommendations would be appreciated 

Cheers jason

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, jason6347 said:

Hi I’ve got a few days off so I’m heading up to Scotland in the search for some white stuff,not sure where best to head,fort William,was thinking with it being more in the west,is it high up there.or was looking at Aviemore,will that still get the showers from the west as it is a bit further east..Any recommendations would be appreciated 

Cheers jason

Hi Jason

Fort William itself  is fairly low lying and rarely gets snow in my experience. Obviously Ben Nevis is there but I don't think you want to be going up there over the next few days. Aviemore and the Cairngorms national park is a better bet generally. The A9 has high points on the road up so you have to be careful with snow gates being closed etc.

I am speaking in general terms. I have not seen the specifics of forecasts in these areas over the next few days.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip to Scotland.

Edited by Starsail
  • Like 5
1 minute ago, Starsail said:

Hi Jason

Fort William itself  is fairly low lying and rarely gets snow in my experience. Obviously Ben Nevis is there but I don't think you want to be going up there over the next few days. Aviemore and the Cairngorms national park is a better bet generally. The A9 has high points on the road up so you have to be careful with snow gates being closed etc.

I am speaking in general terms. I have not seen the specifics of forecasts in these areas over the next few days.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip to Scotland.

Hi Jason,

Yes as has just been said Aviemore is your best bet if your looking for some snow over the next few days. I suspect that the strength of the wind on Monday and Tuesday will bring in quite a few showers so hopefully you'll get lucky and enjoy what we have to offer! Fort William will be far too mild for anything that's going to land 

• Like 4

Amber warning for rain has just been issued for SW Scotland, Lothian Borders.

Issued: 16:04 (UTC) on Sat 8 Feb 2020

Heavy and persistent rain falling through Sunday morning will bring widely 30-50mm and as much as 70mm in around 9-12 hours, this on top of rain which will already have fallen through Saturday.

4F637F8C-3657-46E4-9100-45AE6432FD22.thumb.jpeg.e6a1a50e057fdd173cd4a1e8b21be60e.jpeg

Very windy here now with heavy rain. I am hoping to see some snow when at work on Monday night but I am not sure if it will. I think it’s just a case of wait and see what happens as some forecasts are going for snow and others for rain.

• Like 7
15 minutes ago, rob4al said:

Hi Jason,

Yes as has just been said Aviemore is your best bet if your looking for some snow over the next few days. I suspect that the strength of the wind on Monday and Tuesday will bring in quite a few showers so hopefully you'll get lucky and enjoy what we have to offer! Fort William will be far too mild for anything that's going to land 

I'd probably head for King's House Hotel at Glencoe or Bridge of Orchy, both High altitude and should get some heavy showers. Also in good locations for the west Highland way to walk a bit higher up if its milder than expected. Aviemore should get some snow though! 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 5
47 minutes ago, jason6347 said:

Cheers jason

Best snaw is gonnae be at ma hoose. ?

--

Wind stairtin tae whistle. Rain oan. Aff we go. 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 7
32 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Interesting. That's a very localised area in the amber warning zone, east of Eskdalemuir and towards Kielder. It's the leeward side of the Southern Uplands that in my experience, gets heavy rain much less frequently than we do on my side of the hills but those Tweeddale towns can be prone to flooding when it does happen.

Edit - Tweeddale, not Tweedsdale. D'oh !!

Edited by moffatross
spelling
  • Like 5
36 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Issued: 16:04 (UTC) on Sat 8 Feb 2020

Heavy and persistent rain falling through Sunday morning will bring widely 30-50mm and as much as 70mm in around 9-12 hours, this on top of rain which will already have fallen through Saturday.

4F637F8C-3657-46E4-9100-45AE6432FD22.thumb.jpeg.e6a1a50e057fdd173cd4a1e8b21be60e.jpeg

Very windy here now with heavy rain. I am hoping to see some snow when at work on Monday night but I am not sure if it will. I think it’s just a case of wait and see what happens as some forecasts are going for snow and others for rain.

SEPA info 

A FLOOD ALERT has been issued for Scottish Borders. from this morning

Heavy and persistent rainfall has been forecast for Saturday night and Sunday in this area, which will lead to a risk of flooding from rivers and surface water from late on Saturday and into Sunday. 

Coastal flood warnings for Dumfries and Galloway 

feb08amberraintw.png

• Like 5

Tonight has been a bit of a let down so far considering 5-6pm was forecast as the period of strongest winds, 50 - 55mph max in the lower parts of Strathclyde.

Edited by Ross90
  • Like 5
3 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

Tonight has been a bit of a let down so far considering 5-6pm was forecast as the period of strongest winds, 50 - 55mph max in the lower parts of Strathclyde.

Aye, and I'm hoping we're off the hook for the time being too, but maybe a wee bit too early. The Met Office forecast has the wind peaking around 6 pm, but so far it's pretty standard wind and rain stuff for Moffat i.e. it's like the fire brigade are outside our hoose and are hosing the windows, but not like they're trying to remove the roof at the same time!! ?

• Like 5
48 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

In the weather forecast just before the main Six O'clock News on Radio 4 they did say that the amber warning currently in place for much of England and Wales could be extended further north as more information about the storm comes in as there is some concern as to the impact of the winds in the urban areas of the Central Belt tomorrow afternoon. Just something we are going to have to keep an eye on I guess!

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Ross90 said:

Been well squally here last hour or so. So much so that I wasn't really expecting much wind this evening, so defo no let down!

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, rob4al said:

In the weather forecast just before the main Six O'clock News on Radio 4 they did say that the amber warning currently in place for much of England and Wales could be extended further north as more information about the storm comes in as there is some concern as to the impact of the winds in the urban areas of the Central Belt tomorrow afternoon. Just something we are going to have to keep an eye on I guess!

ICON now has a maximum wind gust of 100mph into the Glasgow area at lunch time tomorrow! 

Should  say most of other models are in the 60-80mph range.. 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 5

Was actually quite nice early on but wind and rain set in as it got dark. The gusts are really ramping up now. Easily the strongest of the winter here. Driving rain as well. 

Trampoline both tied and weighted down!!

• Like 5