Norrance

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Just now, bigsnow said:

@101_North you might want to leave the bike at home and walk to work that morning.

Where were you with that advice yesterday? Just about killed me dragging the extra mince pies back up the road in a gale after work 🥵🥵🤣😂

Bit of a breeze out this morning.

50 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Bit of a breeze out this morning.

A touch draughty... and seems to be slightly damp too.

@Hairy Celt surprisingly dry here this morning. how long that will last who knows. all doom and gloom over in the mad house still this morning. Uncle Barty is coming to end winter, folk signing out till next winter. same time next year lads.

Disgusting weather. Going to be breezy this afternoon here in Edinburgh....

Looking ahead, is Sunday the first bringing of snow to the masses? :ninja:

Has been wet but surprisingly the wind has not yet (unless that still to come) almost calm out there at the moment

3 hours ago, bigsnow said:

@Hairy Celt surprisingly dry here this morning. how long that will last who knows. all doom and gloom over in the mad house still this morning. Uncle Barty is coming to end winter, folk signing out till next winter. same time next year lads.

Heavy snow forecast for Alford Thursday morning. Looks like you're getting an upgrade on the sleet.

Posted (edited)

If anyone uses oil for their central heating, Scottish Fuels have a promotion running.

€30 off orders January- April.

Quote Code WIN30

Might be handy should a cold snap appear.

Currently 12C here with strong SW winds. Had to stick the bins in the garage as they were starting to move around. Peak winds are forecast around 2pm with 50mph gusts. 

Edited by Sceptical

Posted (edited)

Central belt (east central anyway) appears to have escaped the worst for now?   Slight wind is all.  10.6c/SSW/10mph

Edited by Blitzen

Got the soup pot bubbling away. Lighting the fire soon, got knitting and books to hand, torches too. Cleaned, trimmed wick and filled oil lamps. Nothing else I can do. Bring it! 🌪️🌧️🌀

29 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Central belt (east central anyway) appears to have escaped the worst for now?   Slight wind is all.  10.6c/SSW/10mph

Blowing a gale up here, coming right in the front windows, from the south west I think. Heavy drizzle. All ready here too mistyQ for possible powercuts.

Posted (edited)

Wet and windy day here so far with a top gust of 50mph the same as yesterday. Out in the Western Isles I've been told Benbecula airport reported 74mph and Barra airport 75mph gusts this morning but again yesterday they had gusts similar to that which had no weather warnings out for wind.

Edited by Zenarcher

Picking up a bit in Lanarkshire over the last hour, top gusts around 50mph so far, similar to yesterday.

Yesterday was worse here.

A few trees have come down between Keig and Whitehouse around Alford. I also noticed a few trees hanging against other trees - care required 

Temperature driving across Tillyfourie was 14C about 20 minutes ago.

Getting a bit breezier but nothing compared to what was forecast

24 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

A few trees have come down between Keig and Whitehouse around Alford. I also noticed a few trees hanging against other trees - care required 

Temperature driving across Tillyfourie was 14C about 20 minutes ago.

get your saw out and thats next winters wood sorted.

1 hour ago, bigsnow said:

get your saw out and thats next winters wood sorted.

😆👍

Wind picking up here a bit in Falkirk. Thoroughly miserable day all told, was pitch black when my S1 son walked down for the bus. 

Quite tame really where i am, top gusts around 50 - 55mph but mostly in the 40s.Every 'stormy' spell over the last year or so has been watered down quite a bit by the time it arrives.

The wind has picked up here again just after 4.30pm with gusts according to the local weather station just under 50mph. The Western Isles had a windy afternoon with 81mph being the highest gust reported out there at Barra airport.