Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, mardatha said:

All fine down here MS  ta. Looking forward to an epic winter to round off a very weird year!

Surely it's going to be a weird winter to end the weird year? 

• Like 5

May not be too exciting but loved the colour of the setting sun and the leaves turning this why I love autumn 

20201010_181413.jpg

• Like 7

Foul night outside. And seems as though its gonna stay that way for a few days yet..

Oh well a few if these will help. Happy Saturday everybody 

20201010_180743.jpg

• Like 6

Certainly a cool day here with odd light drizzly showers and a fresh NW wind.Up most of last night calving cows ( Why won"t they do it in daylight hours ) in steading . Just as well as rained the whole time. One eventually calved by vet suffered a bit of damage to a hip but finally on its feet drinking off mum late pm today.A big cool down compared to just 10 days ago but with potential to dry up good for cattle outside.Maximum of 9c here today.

• Like 7

Up in Highland Perthshire for the weekend for what was supposed to be a birthday get together that was much curtailed by the new regulations. Anyway heavy showers here brought in on a strong at times NorthWesterly wind and feeling rather cold. Higher mountains pretty much in cloud all day so not sure if snow is still on the tops. My daughter and her pals are climbing Ben Vorlich and Stuc A'Chroin tomorrow so hope it is a bit quieter then. 

• Like 9

Still calm here too, and bright and dry. And chilly.

Temperature currently 2.4deg.C up from a min of 1.6deg.C at 08:09, r.h. is 97%, no wind, no rain, no cloud and pressure at 1029.2hPa rising slowly.

• Like 6

Still dry and calm here. Anybody up in the islands? Son is heading for the Uig ferry and going to Lochmaddy = what's it like up there? He isn't a good traveller.. 🤓

This would likely deposit snow on the hills at worse.... 

gfsnh-0-276.png?12

Only for fun at that range though. 

Today started wet and brrezy but cleared to occasional sun in the afternoon. Never warm but not cold either. 

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

Some folk getting excited over in the mad house. Wonder how long before we see toys and prams being rolled out. 😂😂

It’s common already in the winter thread from some 🙄 I can understand if we were say halfway through winter and it had been 💩 but the current outlook is promising to me with the snow cover and cold air looking like it will be advancing quite far west out of Siberia in the next 10 days or so and with the potential for the Greenland high u wouldn’t rule out our chances of getting into a NE / E flow at some stage bearing in mind it’s still October too 👌

• Like 6

Lovely day high up above Tweeddale. Went off piste and ended up pinned against a deer fence descending the hill. Not so good. Pretty though. 

PXL_20201011_141404424.jpg

PXL_20201011_134856528.jpg

• Like 9

In other news I see the Cairngorm Funicular is to be repaired:

WWW.HIE.CO.UK

Cairngorm will benefit from more than £20 million to make it a year-round attraction, generating significant economic benefits for...

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, Sanserit said:

I was reading that thread this morning...they take life very seriously, don't they?

Lovely walk today but regretted wearing my 3-in-1 jacket as I was roasted less than half way through my 5 mile walk! High of 16c, low of 6.8c and marginally over 1mm of rain.

62658CFB-8328-4FFC-9B52-D768E2D06DEE_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b48a519851570aa837e202499f6520d8.jpeg 28D94D13-E48F-497C-893B-D0E030DB3757.thumb.jpeg.b6724136962c9216b995b64dc438e0ec.jpeg

Wait til u see how much it kicks off when the models show UK snow chances 😆🤪 Think a recent example is the failed easterly a few winters ago think that one still gives @Mr Frost nightmares 🤣 ️ 

• Like 6

Showery morning, drier afternoon if mostly overcast.

Generally light winds and a max of 10c.

Snag_2ecd971.thumb.png.31f31c3f7d74092824a76a90e613e105.png

Snag_2f5f460.thumb.png.a8e3264f88b6c74830a9ea725c9fa17f.png

Nature at its most brutal on show in the garden this afternoon.  Family busy feeding the birds then a sparrowhawk decided to join the feast; within just 3 seconds what was a dunnock turned into a single feather lying on the ground.  Kids completely dazed at the speed of the event and I was astounded at the brass neck of the hawk to swope down with so many humans close by.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Yesterday was a perfect day for a wander through Glen Fruin. Today isn't.

Temperature currently 8.3deg.C up from a min of 7.1deg.C at 01:48, r.h. is 97%, very light breeze from the south, pressure at 1016.6hPa falling, there's total cloud cover and a bit of mist and 3.4mm of rain has fallen so far today.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

Raining again.. and the heating is on again.

Not only has my heating been on, the lights are on here!

To quote my kids...it's minging out there! High so far of 9.4c and 3.05mm of rain which isn't boding well for getting out and walking today - just hope it brightens up towards the end of the afternoon.

• Like 2