Norrance

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

10 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Je suis à Arc 1600, en France. Dans le pub. Avec une grande bière. 

Excellent :oldgrin:. I can experience your pleasure from a distance - while working on a construction site in Caithness it's always good to have a few ways to escape...

Beautiful start to the day with clear blue skies, light winds and the temperature is already 5c.

Enormous number of geese flew over the house towards the NW just after dawn, literally thousands of them in multiple waves - definitely the most seen in the last few months.  Crappy camera phone does not do the spectacle justice...

image.thumb.png.f4402101e586bbb49a108805137f5713.png

Very windy overnight and again this morning  Blue Skies and sunshine however and ground is still drying.. Currently 7c

Things looking a bit more promising going into February? 

Uppers a bit more like you'd hope for in winter anyway! 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Quinach said:

Beautiful start to the day with clear blue skies, light winds and the temperature is already 5c.

Enormous number of geese flew over the house towards the NW just after dawn, literally thousands of them in multiple waves - definitely the most seen in the last few months.  Crappy camera phone does not do the spectacle justice...

I hope that is not them heading home thinking that Winter is over😟

Here sunny and feeling warm at 7.6C.

Stunning day, almost spring like. heating off and no need for the stove to be fired up either. 

3 hours ago, Quinach said:

Noticed a massive flock of geese in the vale of Alford around 0930. I've lived here since 2004 and have never seen geese in these numbers before - a genuine WTF moment!

Given the bright conditions and distance between the geese and myself, a rough estimate of numbers could be made. I reckon well over a thousand and that's a conservative figure.

The geese were circling over an area as opposed to following their usual flight paths - unusual behaviour. Possibly an early departure from their wintering grounds?

Definitely a sight to behold.

Currently 9.5C and wall to wall sunshine.

Edited by Sceptical

@Norrance stop with the pictures of snaw i cant bare it any longer...😫

Edited by bigsnow

1 minute ago, bigsnow said:

@Norrance stop with the pictures i cant bare it any longer...😫

In the absence of snow and cold, this has to be the best alternative. Sunny, calm and mild enough to sit outside having a cup of coffee.

Feels like spring has started 🤔

6 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Oh you said stop, sorry 😂

Holy crap, that's huge amounts of snow!

the weekend wasn't too bad at all and has been mentioned the sunsets we're pretty amazing last night but a new day new week and the cloud has crept in and that's the week basically tad breezy too

29 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Not quite St. John's 

20200120_140703.jpg

20200120_140625.jpg

It's might only be 5.9C outside but a combination of MrsC having the heating on plus the solar gain is making the living room a little warm:

20200120_144009.thumb.jpg.391d718fef6544667391e2127899ddbc.jpg

Met Office way out with their temperatures forecast for my area.

Forecast 5C.

Actual 0C.

Nice sunny morning in Caithness (apart from the wrong temperature, 10C) then a brisk wind picked up and spoiled the afternoon.  Somewhat cloudier later too but without yesterday's pyrotechnics.

Rate we're going, I might have wasted my money on another set of Weatherproofs - I could have gone straight to summer tyres.  That might be a plan actually: if we all dress and behave for summer weather, it might encourage winter out of its shell. :unknw:

"Rate we're going, I might have wasted my money on another set of Weatherproofs - I could have gone straight to summer tyres."

Just bought new leggings about 2 weeks ago .Put them on last week and its got dryer ever since.Replaced our 11 year old car last September a bit over budget  so have never bought winter tyres for it so far so good. Calculated risk as Mrs.Northernlights retired after 38 years teaching last Easter so technically car does not need to go out every day and we could survive if weather got really bad. Currently very windy and 9c