Snow?

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Hawesy said:

More greyness, haar and low cloud today. It finally looks like we’ll get our first proper sunshine in a week tomorrow! 😊

And indeed we have sunny skies! Very exciting! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Rained all night, but this morning I've been woken by some mysterious burning ball of bright orange in the sky, I've googled it and it would appear that the end of the world is coming and this is the start.. panic. 🤣🤣

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

Rained all night, but this morning I've been woken by some mysterious burning ball of bright orange in the sky, I've googled it and it would appear that the end of the world is coming and this is the start.. panic. 🤣🤣

"The rose and glow of approaching fire mistaken, for the rising sun"

New Model Army - From Here

• Like 4

Looks like a day of everything tomorrow with lots of heavy showers rattling through with thunder possible too and looks like a spell of strong winds in the afternoon especially southern Scotland 2378865B-7A10-48E0-9E4B-B10E46EE86B1.thumb.gif.8efebcc67b21e4ab911467c9af7b2f1e.gif8C759045-5EF9-43DC-8C3B-674E1A0B6EA7.thumb.gif.49fd6fb200f83ed432e670d76da3ef3b.gif3E3F3766-6A57-47CF-8AFF-4920BA7B8EB1.thumb.png.38332980229e0968624dafa12e9de1d4.pngD0BDAB0E-0BA5-45AB-9A47-ADE32B2ADBEC.thumb.png.cc537aaa38e41e3b441c865381b837b0.png

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 5

Oh look, some blue sky, such a rarity the last few days..

image.thumb.png.64320c77e535aaae849f60451bfda737.png

Very usable day.

Dry, variable cloud and a max of 20c with occasionally brisk winds.

Thought it would be a good day to get some exterior painting done.  Didn't count on the multitude of kamikaze black flies that decided to end their days on the fresh paint. 🤔

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 7

Heavy rain early door's. Sun came out for a bit but the cloud is coming back in and the wind is picking up.

Mrs snaws Birthday today and our wedding anniversary so been a busy morning here. Had hoped for a trip to the beach but not in this. And the planned steak dinner on the patio has been postponed too..

• Like 2

Just a quick one. Does anybody else on here have a winter stock cupboard for when the snaw hits and the shop shelves are raided? I've just started on mine but wondering what others may stock up on?

• Like 2

I've always got a good stash in, living deep in the outback you never know when you might get stuck in the house. I'm also a bit of a prepper 🤓    Candles, matches, tin openers, Kelly Kettle, alternative methods of heating & cooking, bottled water, dried foods in case the power goes off and the freezer is useless.  (Our longest power cut was almost 6 days).

Get multi purpose foods like porridge oats - they will make breakfast, oatcakes, flapjacks, and thicken soups. Dried fruit for cakes and puddings. Lentils for soups. Tins of carrots and potatoes - dead cheap, and make good soup. Bread mix or flour and yeast.

I could go on andonandon. lol

• Like 5

@mardatha I've got oats by the barrel load. Tins of veg, beans and soup. Tinned corned beef and spam. Pasta, rice, noodles and packet mixes galore. I've got flour and bread mixes. Cake mixes. Bottled water and powdered milk. I also have a list for extras that I'm shopping for tomorrow. Also got a camping stove for emergency cooking.

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

@mardatha I've got oats by the barrel load. Tins of veg, beans and soup. Tinned corned beef and spam. Pasta, rice, noodles and packet mixes galore. I've got flour and bread mixes. Cake mixes. Bottled water and powdered milk. I also have a list for extras that I'm shopping for tomorrow. Also got a camping stove for emergency cooking.

And, from a rather more 'elderly' perspective, you could always have each of each of those things on its own... as long as it's with Spam!:oldlaugh:

• Like 6

I've got food in the kitchen food in the back bedroom and food in the airing cupboard. Menu plans for using aforesaid food. Brexit, the virus, and winter added together don't fill me with confidence. I'm in prepping forums and the guys in there get excited by solar power, water filters and gennies, if you wanted a good forum PM me.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

5 hours ago, mardatha said:

I've always got a good stash in, living deep in the outback you never know when you might get stuck in the house. I'm also a bit of a prepper 🤓    Candles, matches, tin openers, Kelly Kettle, alternative methods of heating & cooking, bottled water, dried foods in case the power goes off and the freezer is useless.  (Our longest power cut was almost 6 days).

Get multi purpose foods like porridge oats - they will make breakfast, oatcakes, flapjacks, and thicken soups. Dried fruit for cakes and puddings. Lentils for soups. Tins of carrots and potatoes - dead cheap, and make good soup. Bread mix or flour and yeast.

I could go on andonandon. lol

As a former brownie and guide guider, (whose organisation's motto is 'be prepared') and who lives on Deeside, notorious for it's snow, I am never prepared for winter with the exception of salt for the path and a snow shovel in the boot. Tesco is 150m down the road, Morrisons is 150m up the road and the Co-op is 150m behind the house so no need to panic unless it's for pandemic shopping in which case I'm still struggling to get flour 6 months on!

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, Sanserit said:

As a former brownie and guide guider, (whose organisation's motto is 'be prepared') and who lives on Deeside, notorious for it's snow, I am never prepared for winter with the exception of salt for the path and a snow shovel in the boot. Tesco is 150m down the road, Morrisons is 150m up the road and the Co-op is 150m behind the house so no need to panic unless it's for pandemic shopping in which case I'm still struggling to get flour 6 months on!

Flour is in plentiful supply in most shops im going in currently.. it was definitely a bit crazy for a few weeks end if March and into April.. what part of deeside are you in? Looked at a house in Ballater last year but couldn't make it work