Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

It started off pretty cloudy here this morning but by lunchtime the cloud had largely gone, leaving it almost cloudless for the rest of the day. The temp responded, getting to a high of 22.8C, and staying above 20C all afternoon (12-6pm). Can't really complain about that, pity the forecast for tomorrow is cloudy with temps in the low to mid teens. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

It’s been a lovely day here so far but clouds thickening and beginning to feel cooler at 17c - we did reach 19.7c earlier tho it felt considerably warmer in the sun. Dogs seem happier too now that the sun’s not beating down on them.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Sanserit said:

It’s been a lovely day here so far but clouds thickening and beginning to feel cooler at 17c - we did reach 19.7c earlier tho it felt considerably warmer in the sun. Dogs seem happier too now that the sun’s not beating down on them.

And the reason it felt considerably warmer was because it was! My browser hadn't refreshed the stats properly and we actually reached 23.8c...no wonder the dogs and I were feeling the heat 🤦🏼‍♀️

Glad I'm not the only one the gremlins have affected today tho...

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Northernlights said:

A dull few days here with fog off the sea every morning to be followed by late afternoon sunshine. Very humid with grass never really dry.Not crop ripening weather. Just the dog days of summer.Highs of about 18c

Swifts went from the house a few days ago so high summer is over..Still swallows and housemartins rearing second/ third broods

An autumn sound this evening as a flock of geese came into to land on a grass field.Probably local ones and not migratory

I love this dog days of summer idea. I post about it pretty much every year. To me it's when we get this pleasant spell of weather at the end of August into the start of September, when the evenings are noticeably shorter and the sun is lower but you can still get a bit of warmth. It's like summers last lingering message to us. Summer but not summer. That it's almost over kind of feeling. There's a tinge of sadness but yet some joy in the remaining warmth, as well as anticipation of what the autumn will bring. I love sunny autumn days, I hope we get plenty of those.

• Like 7

A forecast high for today of 16C was well out. It was above 18C for the whole afternoon with a high of 20.8C around 3pm. Early cloud disappeared to leave very little cloud through the afternoon, which with light winds felt very pleasant. 

Ran through all 7 beehives this afternoon (started with 4 in spring, but in 2 of those something happened to the queens early on) and all now have queens, 6 of which are laying, the other is a recent swarm so she's not laying yet but we did see her. All hives still bringing in nectar and storing it so we should get more honey off them in a week or two, hopefully with at least an element of heather. 

• Like 7
27 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

I love this dog days of summer idea. I post about it pretty much every year. To me it's when we get this pleasant spell of weather at the end of August into the start of September, when the evenings are noticeably shorter and the sun is lower but you can still get a bit of warmth. It's like summers last lingering message to us. Summer but not summer. That it's almost over kind of feeling. There's a tinge of sadness but yet some joy in the remaining warmth, as well as anticipation of what the autumn will bring. I love sunny autumn days, I hope we get plenty of those.

Good way to put it. Noticed the light has changed , bit hazy and sun lower, about now , changes from summer to end of summer. I am looking forward to fresher air in Glasgow.

• Like 4

After a very nice week we had a mainly cloudy day. Was getting quite fond of the cloudy starts and sunny endings. 

I was inside anyway watching the Moto GP so wasn’t missing any sun on the decking. Watched a horrendous crash in the Moto 2 race. Rider hurt but is ok. Thought that was the worst one I had ever seen but no. Within an hour one in the main race was worse. Both riders involved eventually walked away so are lucky. It is what happens to their bikes after the crash that is nuts. Thankfully they are ok but it was so close to being so much worse. 

I’ve been a motorbike rider for quite a few years and I know others on the forum are as well. Riding a motorbike is dangerous I know but these guys take it to the limits and beyond. I also cycle a lot and that is more dangerous than the motorbike. 

https://www.espn.co.uk/motogp/story/_/id/29673232/morbidelli-zarco-involved-huge-crash-austrian-gp

• Like 5

Raining 🌧   and the wind is back again. Looking at the next 2 weeks I dont see anything for folk in the North East to get excited about. Unless mid teens for temperature and showers is your thing.

• Like 2

I see the MO have got the warning out early this time no surprises after the chaos last week, Tuesdays the new storm day ? 🥴😅 “Heavy showers are expected to develop on Tuesday afternoon. Whilst most places will miss the worst, some showers could be slow moving and there is a chance of that 20-25 mm of rain might fall in an hour with perhaps 50 mm in 3 hours. The showers will ease during Tuesday evening.”

Kirkcaldy included in the warning area this time too 😉🤣 D01F2FFC-BE91-4646-B716-1823EFC32DE7.thumb.jpeg.c5ca0035d2e98bedff16e83a6a65acfc.jpeg

• Like 5

Turned out to be not too bad a day with a high of 20c which let me get some alterations done that were long overdue on my part. Mist descended just after teatime and last time I looked out the drizzle had started though not enough to register on my rain gauge.

• Like 4

After a couple of fine days, back to Aberdeenshire Permagloom™.

Sun tried to break through at times but never managed.

Not cold though, max of 16c in light winds.  Heavy drizzle outside at the moment.

Another sign of autumn coming, Robins are back - two of them in fact and the feeders must be a prime location as they were fighting each other off and on all day!!

• Like 5

Went up to St Cyrus today, there was some of that Aberdeenshire permagloom right enough! The sun shone weakly for about 10 minutes. Then it was down to Seaton Cliffs for some Angus permagloom. By the time I got back to Fife the haar and drizzle had set in. The last few days have been grim out east. 😀

• Like 6
1 hour ago, mardatha said:

Anybody know where robins disappear to in summer?

They are actually still around, they're just less visible as procreation and bringing up the kids removes them from general view.

Once the youngsters have fledged then they tend to "reappear" in the public mind.

A lot like us humans actually - kids tend to cramp your nightlife.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Quinach said:

A lot like us humans actually - kids tend to cramp your nightlife.

They cramp your life life too. THEY COME BACK. THEY HOME. Move house while they're away!!!

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, mardatha said:

They cramp your life life too. THEY COME BACK. THEY HOME. Move house while they're away!!!

Sorry, but that doesn't work. We moved house once the two eldest moved out, but they still found us and moved back in. I largely blame Covid-19 for that though. Next time we'll move further and not tell them our new address.

Real drizzly gloom here.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 3