Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Cobbled together some footage from Tuesday night. We're fortunate I think, being up so high, that we got to see pretty much every flash going!

Like a true pro.....I didn't have a fully charged battery 😉 So had to break off a few times to charge it for 10 mins or so but otherwise it's all in real time. I'll never forget it!

Brilliant. I believe the area with the highest number of strikes in Scotland that night was around Scotlandwell so pretty close to you.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Brilliant. I believe the area with the highest number of strikes in Scotland that night was around Scotlandwell so pretty close to you.

Ah that’s interesting. We only had a handful where the bang came within a second or two but there plenty of flashes originating from somewhere off to the right (west).

• Like 4

After the stunning weather day yesterday, all back to reality today.

Overcast if not downright murky at times with a few brave attempts at sunshine in the late afternoon.

Very small diurnal range over the last 24 hours - min of 14c, max of 17c!

After having no birds at the feeders the last few days, this morning they were swamped by sparrows (20+ which is unusual for here).

• Like 3

Overcast and hazy in West Lothian this morning but by the time we got to Callander around lunchtime, it was a fairly decent day. Sadly, lost the clear skies by the time we arrived in Stirling mid-afternoon but it was bright enough. I enjoyed being able to wander around without the excessive heat of yesterday and the dogs, even more so.

• Like 2

Cloudy here today. Cool with a slight breeze. Looking at the bbc online it would seem that temperatures are going to be in the mid teens as we head toward the end of summer. Is that it? Summers over? When do we start looking at sea ice and QBO, MJO and all that other stuff?? 

• Like 1

Took a while but low cloud has cleared another stonking afternoon still quite warm too 

• Like 1

Another day of Aberdeenshire Permagloom™.

Warmer though with a max of 18c with light winds - enough drizzle first thing in the morning to wet surfaces.

Met Office forecast is for more of the same for the next few days 🥱🥱

• Like 5

Cloud that came in yesterday teatime never lifted today. Damp early but dry since. Light Easterly breeze with little variation in temps. Max of 16.9C.

• Like 3

Lovely day and warm by the time I left Bathgate just after 5pm, sunshine as far as Kinross then murky pretty much the rest of the way up the A90 with drizzle starting somewhere between Brechin and Laurencekirk. However, as often happens, by the time I turned off onto the A957 Slug road, it had cleared up and there were even a couple of patches of blue making an appearance by the time I got over the top of the hill and drove through Durrris. Hoping for a dry weekend to catch up outdoors and get laundry dry. Evenings are definitely drawing in now tho, noticeable change in the light levels indoors of an evening.

• Like 1

I tried to get the auld yin to take me over to Peebles but nooo he couldn't be bothered. Stuck up here in the grey again.

7 hours ago, mardatha said:

I tried to get the auld yin to take me over to Peebles but nooo he couldn't be bothered. Stuck up here in the grey again.

Peebles would be a good bet again today, give him a friendly poke in the ribs.

15 hours ago, Quinach said:

Another day of Aberdeenshire Permagloom™.

Warmer though with a max of 18c with light winds - enough drizzle first thing in the morning to wet surfaces.

Met Office forecast is for more of the same for the next few days 🥱🥱

The Fife permagloom is remarkably similar 😃 Typical easterly dross. https://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/weather/current/EGQL.html Leuchars hourly readings capture the excitement. 

Was looking enviously at a friend’s photos from Glencoe yesterday! 😪

• Like 2

Have uploaded more of my videos from Tuesdays storms, got this from one of them 980177608_lightning10.thumb.png.86c1f5cc6aac449154f6f0b860baaae2.png

1 min 18 the strike in this one must have been really close (wont post them all but there are more on my channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPC1J11-uXtGtev-gYA2jlA 

• Like 7

Sun finally forced its way through in Glasgow. Lovely afternoon, making the most before we seem to get an early taste of autumn this week. 

Noticed that some leaves are coming down off the trees early too, maybe related to the early summer heat then mid summer rainfall? 

• Like 3

Nice videos @Kirkcaldy Weather

I am currently going through all the clips that I got from the storm and editing them then putting them into a video 🙂

The visibility was poor as I was stuck in my car. I planned to move away from the storm and get some shots with my tripod but I got stuck in the village I was in for a few hours due to the flooding  🙄

• Like 3

A dull few days here with fog off the sea every morning to be followed by late afternoon sunshine. Very humid with grass never really dry.Not crop ripening weather. Just the dog days of summer.Highs of about 18c

Swifts went from the house a few days ago so high summer is over..Still swallows and housemartins rearing second/ third broods

An autumn sound this evening as a flock of geese came into to land on a grass field.Probably local ones and not migratory

• Like 6

Surprisingly the sun broke through here this afternoon though looking further East over Dundee it still looked cloudy. Temps only got up to 17.4C but it felt milder.

• Like 4

Took longer for the cloud to break today had a decent few hours then at about 7 or so cloud came in again (seems this gonna be the trend to the wind direction changes)

• Like 4