Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

I thought storms are usualy supposed to like clear the air..............if anything it's like a oven again infact easily the hottest of this spell it's a absolute roaster!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Sanserit said:

OMG that looks like the early local reports of one fatality are going to be grossly underestimated. Thoughts are with all affected - passengers, staff, emergency services and families 😔

Latest report I saw said that there were only six passengers and six railway staff on board as it was the early Glasgow train. Took some time to be reported as it was 9.45 before emergency services arrived they said. 
Meanwhile saw this pic of the road alongside the South Inch in Perth heading to the railways station. 19,000 strikes last night apparently. 

6F12C765-D156-4BFF-AB9F-621FD8D20A0D.jpeg

0CB3FF66-A6E3-428D-9F6D-2F2417EB6D5C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
24 minutes ago, NUT said:

I thought storms are usualy supposed to like clear the air..............if anything it's like a oven again infact easily the hottest of this spell it's a absolute roaster!

The storms were part of a Trough last night so the air mass did not change unlike it would do with Frontal rain usually. So that’s why it’s remained hot and humid as there was no fresher air behind the storms.

19 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Latest report I saw said that there were only six passengers and six railway staff on board as it was the early Glasgow train. Took some time to be reported as it was 9.45 before emergency services arrived they said. 
Meanwhile saw this pic of the road alongside the South Inch in Perth heading to the railways station. 19,000 strikes last night apparently. 

6F12C765-D156-4BFF-AB9F-621FD8D20A0D.jpeg

0CB3FF66-A6E3-428D-9F6D-2F2417EB6D5C.jpeg

Yep... that's it! I'm just behind this street and thankfully was unaffected... however, several other areas of Perth were very badly flooded... not nice at all!

Tim

• Like 2

Storm over Ayrshire heading north on route to East Kilbride /Glasgow area but I doubt it will make it personally... 

Edit:nearly dead already!! 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

I might be down in Ayrshire, a good 70 miles from Edinburgh, but around 2am last night I popped my head out and could see constant flashing lighting up the sky all around me. I thought, are we due something? So I checked the lightning maps etc. Nowhere near me! Never in my life have I seen lightning flashes from that far away, at least from here. 

• Like 2

Crazy storms seen in the last couple days, great photos and vids on here.

The last very very warm day, max of 29c (at my unofficial temp gauge) and humidity making that feel intense. Was not comfortable to wear uniform for work in.

Tomorrow more like the low 20s, perhaps mid 20s at work in the far SW. The sun is certainly lower in the sky these days 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, rossco89 said:

I might be down in Ayrshire, a good 70 miles from Edinburgh, but around 2am last night I popped my head out and could see constant flashing lighting up the sky all around me. I thought, are we due something? So I checked the lightning maps etc. Nowhere near me! Never in my life have I seen lightning flashes from that far away, at least from here. 

Same here in East Kilbride, i thought you couldnt see lightening from that far, Certainly no thunder could be heard even from Motherwell , Cumbernauld or Airdrie. 

Had some time to mull over last nights storm. I'm in a good position to compare it to the experiences I had in Beaumont just a year ago and I'm convinced last nights storm wiped the floor with anything I experienced there. Here's why....whilst in Beaumont I was lucky(unlucky 🤔) to experience being in the red warning zone for a Tornado and witnessed some incredible intensity of winds, hail, rain and thunder as well as explosive lightning, however, it was always short lived. Although the intensity  of each parameter was probably higher in Texas, the sensations experienced faded too quickly leaving you somewhat thrilled but ready for more. Last night, although the intensity of each parameter as mentioned, may not have been as explosive, it was the longevity and frequency of each that left you kinda pulverised by the end of it 😂 unbelievable scenes if I'm being honest, never thought in a month of Sundays I would be saying a storm in Scottish summertime, in Fife, would beat a red tornado warning zone storm in Texas but there you go! 😂🌪️⚠️🤠🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

On a side note I managed to get to sleep at around 1am only to be woken at 3am on an emergency call from work, power loss from a lightning strike took the place down, when I arrived the plant was completely flooded, I'm talking under a foot of water everywhere. By the time I left tonight at 7pm the water was gone.... Talk about extremes! 

RIP to the lives lost today in the rail accident, need to get learning from the incident to make sure this never happens again 😔

• Like 7

Even with a high of 'only' 24C in Inverurie today the sun just seemed to bore into you when outside. It felt incredibly hot, possibly because it also still felt quite humid. 

Glad there's no more storms forecast for tonight, I need some sleep. 

• Like 3

Lovely afternoon in West Lothian, very warm in the sun then off to South Queensferry as I’ve never been before, followed by a beautiful sunset this evening. What a difference a day makes.

9C0C31CB-ACF9-4CDF-A9C7-A86431A10842.jpeg

70D5F33F-6DBF-4EDC-9AC8-088DD4575C61.jpeg

19C6FAB9-82C5-4B2F-B8D6-EDF19247ABAE.jpeg

• Like 6

Just been outside and the place is being lit up again. Here was me thinking, must be due something this time, surely. Nope. It's lightning from cells over the Isle of Man and the north of Wales... 

• Like 4

The total rainfall from the storms here was 94.74mm which is ridiculous the August average here is 60.9mm and my current monthly total is 143.51mm 😳 thankfully a nice bit of drier weather now, the wrf nmm EU currently shows the next rain here on the 17th possibly thundery but that's a long way off so most likely will change. A bridge at the local golf course got washed away and I know one of the local restaurants suffered significant roof damage. 

• Like 2

Sun's not managed to break through here (still warm) but a gradual cooling trend thankfully on the way (got to admit looking forward to some sort of quite fresh weather next week)

• Like 1

Here's a screenshot of the Lightning I tried to film on Tuesday night. It's a shame it didn't stay clear for long as it was quite a light show in the east - though I'm glad the storm was not overhead! Yesterday turned out to be a very warm and humid day with a hazy end of summer feel. Last night was largely clear though I was able to see distant flashes to the south - presumably from the storms near the aisle of Man. Cooler and cloudier today. 

image.thumb.jpeg.414b7ec17061ea71674d0f2f97059039.jpeg

• Like 4

Cloudy and cool with a fresh breeze here today. 

Mrs Snaw is looking at holiday lets for the tattie holidays. Anybody in here know of any good places? Got to be walking distance to a local pub and village.

Sunny and warm here all day until a couple of hours ago when a shift in the wind brought cloud in from the North Sea. Temps dropped from 22C to 16C. Looks like this is what we are going to get for the next few days here inthe East😟

• Like 3

Had a good spell of sun for a few hours this afternoon but the cloud's crept in again

• Like 3
  • Paul locked this topic