Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

That was an incredible evening, exceptional in the extreme.  10 hours of electrical activity.  There was a quieter period between 1:30am to 5:30am and then an epic re-awakening.  Torrential rain out the front of the house, but relatively little wind, yet out the back of the house there was hail the size of garden peas and ferocious winds.

• Like 6

Slept through the 5.30am restart. Heard on the radio there was over an inch in an hour in Edinburgh. 

I think I wouldn't have been surprised if the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse had come swimming down my road last night.

• Like 4

Clear blue skies now to our west but a storm is still rumbling over towards Aberdeen.

Kids got to school dry which is the main thing!

Some bad flooding in Aberdeen/Stonehaven looking at the reports of the Fubar News Facebook site - https://www.facebook.com/FubarNews

Great storm, and some nice Mammatus cloud to round things off...

Snag_1be905.thumb.png.1ada92d9c405edb2d9f326a11210060f.png

Snag_1c2487.thumb.png.a1fa77ec46efb9b4cf4eadf95446e88f.png

Snag_1c54bf.thumb.png.615124f9c5cb2711e45986e902b72709.png

• Like 7

Well! 

Was kept up most of the night by the thunder... I've never experienced anything like it! However, I'm kicking myself now as I didn't go outside to look at the storm 😞

However, on waking this morning I saw on the news that there was a bit of flooding here in Perth, so I popped outside to have a look... and couldn't get out of my street!! 

Lots of flooding underneath the railway and across the South Inch... incredible stuff, and not really in a good way 😞

I've taken video but it's too big to upload! 

Hope everyone is able to get cleaned up okay... a right mess this morning! 

Tim

• Like 4

Some of the pics, experiences from folk in the east sound incredible. Looks exciting to watch from the safety of your home but not so good for those whose house got struck or if your car was caught up in floods.

Most of the rail network is affected by flooding this morning as well, I’d imagine lightning strikes have also played havoc.

Cloudy and muggy in Glasgow today, any prospect of a storm for us later?

Wondered what the noise was this morning, thought a tractor but apparently it's the Cooncil pumping water away. Down between us and the A7 is flooded.

• Like 2

How you've stolen all our storms, in recent years, guys!:oldlaugh:

Throughout my 21-year stay in the Highlands, I could have counted the storms on the fingers of one hand...How things have changed... Scotland, the storm capital of the UK? Who'd a'thunk it!:yahoo:

• Like 4

Well that was fun. Six hours of it. And as others have said, that rain.... Minimum of 15.3C is quite something for here too. Got lots of video but the video compressor is on the other machine right now so will eventually post something. It was the constant rumble that got me as so unusual. And with strikes every 2 or 3 secs of course!

Looking a the overnight radar it's almost as though my house was the thunderstorm factory from which most of the cells spawned over the western Borders/South Lanarks. Very weird - shall have a late BBQ more often!!

A ten year event?

• Like 8
10 minutes ago, howham said:

Sounds like a train may have derailed south of Stonehaven.

Yes pics on news now. Lots of smoke but train in a dip behind trees so no real clue what has happened. Wonder what us burning? Lots of emergency vehicles there.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Well that was fun. Six hours of it. And as others have said, that rain.... Minimum of 15.3C is quite something for here too. Got lots of video but the video compressor is on the other machine right now so will eventually post something. It was the constant rumble that got me as so unusual. And with strikes every 2 or 3 secs of course!

Looking a the overnight radar it's almost as though my house was the thunderstorm factory from which most of the cells spawned over the western Borders/South Lanarks. Very weird - shall have a late BBQ more often!!

A ten year event?

I didn't think 1st July 2015 would be rivalled but that's nothing in comparison to last night which is mental, easily the worst storms I have ever seen and many other folk saying the same possibly the worst storm Kirkcaldy has ever seen, I certainly can't see how that can be beaten potentially ever 🤷‍♂️

Something crazy going on with the firth of forth tho definitely intensifies the storms must be similar to the way it does it with the snow streamers. 

• Like 5

I got into the car this morning and noticed my dashcam was still on it captured the whole event from 22:00 hrs last night...its going to be good watching that lot.

A nice spark...

Annotation 2020-08-12 120424.jpg

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

Yes pics on news now. Lots of smoke but train in a dip behind trees so no real clue what has happened. Wonder what us burning? Lots of emergency vehicles there.

Local reports of at least one fatality 😔

• Sad 3
38 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Landslip/bridge collapse being suggested after the storms. Pic from Twitter.

Pic removed from Twitter now due to fatality announcement.

OMG that looks like the early local reports of one fatality are going to be grossly underestimated. Thoughts are with all affected - passengers, staff, emergency services and families 😔

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
2 hours ago, shuggee said:

A ten year event?

Pretty much what I experienced.It probably is a 1 in 10 year type event but where I am i've never experienced that before in 30 years.Seen plenty of thunder storms but none with lightning anywhere near that often or with that type of strange distant thunder.

Wonder what part the weather actually played in the train derailment... if it was caused by water on the tracks then questions need to be asked about why it was running.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, snowidea said:

Friends neighbours house was hit in Reddingmuirhead, family all got out OK. 

Screenshot_20200812-095519.png

Jeez!!

I'd only say what everyone else has been saying. Never experienced anything like that in my life. Don't know what was happening on the side of the house but one of the ceiling air vents in the bathroom deposited loads of water on the floor. And the top floor flat I rent out in Edinburgh sprung several leaks too. Power must have gone off and on a dozen times before staying off for about three hours this morning. Walking outside just now, you can't believe any of it happened!

P1180713.jpg

P1180726.jpg

• Like 5