Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Sitting in Cumbernauld watching a storm to the east I think then it looks over head that is strobe lighting for the last hour . Must be elevated nothing showing on radar 

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

2-4am I only stay up for snaw.. it will definitely be dark behind closed eyelids  😂😂😂

I have a 5 month old... 😂

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Evening all, a busy thread this evening, it seems we enjoy thunderstorms? 😉

Not too much to report here in the East Neuk, a few flashes and rumbles and some light rain but nothing compared to the likes of what @Kirkcaldy Weather is reporting. 

• Like 5

Just been out the back in the dark and @Kirkcaldy Weather was right enough, constant flickering and flashing, brightest coming from kennoway direction, but very little thunder. Reminds me of hot evenings in Germany.

Edited by tiff
  • Like 3

Some lightning been quite close to here. All cloud to cloud sheet lightning that I have seen. Despite appearing to being close thunder not too loud. Not shown up on the weather lightning radar yet either. Radar looks as if there is activity near Perth now.

• Like 2

Looking pretty lively for those through in the east! Nothing to report here in Ayrshire apart from it being very warm and humid.

• Like 1

Finally some action...beautiful light show in the clouds no visible lightning yet it seems to be all around though.

I've never seen so much flashes.

• Like 2

Haven't seen a light show like this in years. North, South, East and West. Constant lightning. Not much thunder though! Rumbling away in the distance.

• Like 4

I've chased this storm over Fife in the last few hours and it is nothing short of brilliant! Sweet spot is straight through the centre of Fife from the forth. A flash a second been happening for the last hour now, absoloute quality 😁 

• Like 4

Insane storm over Edinburgh , search #edinburgh on twitter and watch the videos . Flashes every 2 or 3 seconds and constant thunder 

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Woah, looked outside since you lot were posting about it and there's lightning flickering away to the east. I think it's the top of the storm at Biggar as I can see the cloud tops lighting up (I actually thought it may have been a supercell for a few radar frames but probs not)

Edit: multiple directions so may be Edinburgh storm too, crazy to see it from this far away! 

I can see flickers from here but it's unclear what or where or why.

Edit: it was clearer from the back bedroom, up Edinburgh way. Almost continuous flickers.

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 2

In all my 51 years I have Never seen a storm like this. It’s been directly overhead for an hour now with no signs of stopping. 

• Like 5

At my daughter’s, just outside Bathgate and loving watching the sky light up all around, east and west, heard a couple of rumbles but it’s mainly just the distant lightning. Never experienced so much electrical activity as I’m seeing tonight, daughter thinks I’m nuts. Managed to take some video on my phone but need to see what’s recorded before I share or not. Still really warm outside too, probably the warmest I’ve felt at this time of night so far this summer.

• Like 1

Seems to be lightning flashes to the east every few seconds. I can't tell there's cloud or haze overhead and whether that's reflecting the the Lightning from the storm over Edinburgh. Quite remarkable that the flashes can be seen from Ayr - it must be some storm over Edinburgh.

• Like 1