Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

Well there has at least been one good memory created in summer 2020 .A cherry tree I bought about six years ago has finally fruited to excess after years of almost nothing..Another 3 kg today.  003.thumb.JPG.0dfd757ee51f5324a1caeed865242d40.JPG    Netting for the birds has helped but all the sunshine in the spring has not been a hindrance..... A few showers earlier in the morning but sunny this afternoon and 20c

• Like 9

Once the sun came out and the strong breeze died a bit it felt quite warm here with a max of 18.8C. Unfortunately not looking good now for tomorrow so I think my first hill walking trip of the year is going to be a no no 😟

• Like 5

Was out in the park near here earlier. Nice sunny day but the breeze and temperature, couple with a somewhat subdued atmosphere in the park compared to recently for some reason gave it the feel of early September rather than late July. Only difference being the sun is still relatively high in the sky. 

September is actually a month that I like - late August and early September are the dog days as I call them. There's a particular feel to them that I can't quite put my finger on, but I like to have some decent summer first. 

• Like 5

It’s been a lovely day in Banchory today, especially once the wind died down. High of 21c and lovely view of the moon rising late afternoon. After yesterday’s torrential downpours, I was surprised that the paths through the woods where I walk my dogs were surprisingly dry.

80F454ED-685A-4E8A-BD84-22CC4D4E090B.jpeg

9E00E82E-CB10-4ECE-82AC-FAA910756328.jpeg

• Like 9

Nothing much to complain about here. Not exactly what I'd hope for from July but 18C and sunny for a large part of the day is better than most of the month. Dry too, but tomorrow is looking like a wash out from mid day onwards if the forecast is right. 

• Like 8

Snag_2365061.thumb.png.faccb35f329b4eab65645720e5427672.png

Pretty much summarizes the day, mainly sunny with a few clouds (bar one sharp shower at lunchtime).

Max of 18c with a fresh breeze.

Overall though, a poor July weatherwise - first homegrown blackberries were eaten today though, so they are ripening about the normal time.

• Like 6

A slightly damp day with over 30mm of rain so far.... The heavy rain is just moving away now though🙂

• Like 1

Should stop raining in a but but truly awful day just to go along with the theme for the month really

• Like 1

Wet, wet, wet here in Falkirk. Have had a pretty good summer though. Munros bagged so far 3 for me and the kids 4 for Mr Snowidea, boat trip to see the Corryvrekan (just awesome) and hoping to do the chain walk at Elie some time this week.

The last two hills were up at Drumochter, quite an easy climb but depressing to see the state of the hills, landrover tracks all over, bare heather, not even any braken and great big scars visible. 

DSC_1685.JPG

FB_IMG_1595859356208.jpg

FB_IMG_1595859372053.jpg

FB_IMG_1595666114592.jpg

DSC_1735.JPG

• Like 9

Still raining and tomorrow looks just as bad but with strong winds added in. Might light the stove at this rate. 🔥🔥🔥

• Like 3
6 hours ago, bigsnow said:

Horrible morning. That is all...

... That is not all... Horrible afternoon too. 

Forecast was way out. It was supposed to stay dry until around mid day but the rain was already on by the time I woke up around 8am. Has got heavier as the day has progressed (14mm current total) , reminding me that next time I take the pup out for a walk in the rain I need to get the full waterproofs on and dig out the waterproof shoes. Squelchy feet, sodden trousers and damp undies is no fun. 

• Like 9

Grim day here too although I think the rain is finally clearing through. It brightened up briefly around 5pm but then we had the heaviest rain of the day around 6pm. 

A July to forget although it may end with a fine day on Friday (fingers crossed as I am off and hope to get out on the hills again!)

• Like 5

Dreadful day from start to finish.. in fact the weather right now is by far the wettest and windiest its been in a long time.. its like mid November more than mid summer 

• Like 4
Posted (edited)

Still raining quite heavily here as it has been much of the day. There was a very brief dry interlude this evening after the wind switched from Easterly to North Westerly but that was it. Feeling cool too with temps hovering about 11 to13C   mostly. Currently 11C and raining steadily.

edit. Pouring now. We are somewhere under the red bit.

8F524720-5002-44AA-B67D-D0B0FFA655F9.png

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 7

It's been a long time since its rained constantly for 15+ hours. 🌧️🌧️

Let's hope that it will be a long time before its repeated...

Max of 13c, fresh SW backing NNW wind and over 30mm of rain (going by the deeply unscientific ruler in empty plant saucer measuring technique).

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Quinach said:

Over 30mm of rain (going by the deeply unscientific ruler in empty plant saucer measuring technique).

Probably not a bad estimate as going by the data recorded on Wunderground from the weather station belonging to the guy up the road from me there was nearly 28mm here. Total of 100mm for the month to date so nearly a third of the total was today. 

At least I won't have to worry about watering my garden for a while, even if the probably brief warm spell at the end of the week does come to pass as forecast. 

• Like 5

What a dismal day it’s been. It’s rained from since before I got up this morning and still raining now. Both dogs have point blank refused to go out today except for very necessary visits to the garden for the briefest time possible - mini schnauzers are most definitely fair weather dogs.

• Like 6

Surprised there is not a Met Office wind warning out for tomorrow morning up in the NE? Looks wild in Fraserburgh for example!

A76E9494-CAE8-4C7A-9C31-C27BE3244D55.thumb.png.4553c65fec43490b41ff8faed51f55df.png

Gales look quite widespread through parts of Northern Aberdeenshire - severe gales on the coast. 

Also looking forward to our one and only hot day of the month here (West) on Friday! 😄 (Charts subject to change of course this far out)

42B9BF3C-5980-4ED4-B9DC-180619882FAF.thumb.png.e6c3cbb63bdf9097cea2fdc83ebade3c.png6D820073-CB92-4570-9C7D-1F93749E54E5.thumb.png.48e3d7d2a798bd43129a008fe27a2c19.png

The joys of a Scottish Summer...from the recent thunderstorms, today’s heavy rain, tomorrow’s severe gales and the expected blazing sunshine with temperatures in the mid to high twenties on Friday.

Have a good week everyone.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5
18 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Surprised there is not a Met Office wind warning out for tomorrow morning up in the NE? Looks wild in Fraserburgh for example!

A76E9494-CAE8-4C7A-9C31-C27BE3244D55.thumb.png.4553c65fec43490b41ff8faed51f55df.png

Gales look quite widespread through parts of Northern Aberdeenshire - severe gales on the coast. 

Also looking forward to our one and only hot day of the month here (West) on Friday! 😄 (Charts subject to change of course this far out)

42B9BF3C-5980-4ED4-B9DC-180619882FAF.thumb.png.e6c3cbb63bdf9097cea2fdc83ebade3c.png6D820073-CB92-4570-9C7D-1F93749E54E5.thumb.png.48e3d7d2a798bd43129a008fe27a2c19.png

The joys of a Scottish Summer...from the recent thunderstorms, today’s heavy rain, tomorrow’s severe gales and the expected blazing sunshine with temperatures in the mid to high twenties on Friday.

Have a good week everyone.

Definitely not a day for hanging my undercrackers out on the line.

Wind has already picked up somewhat in the last few hours so tomorrow will be very interesting indeed..

Edited by bigsnow
  • Like 4
13 hours ago, bigsnow said:

@mardatha just thought to ask you how the hubby is. I seem to remember he had major surgery before the madness of 2020. Hope all is well.

That's kind of you MS, he took a wee while but got better. Currently finding out though that he isn't as strong as he was; had to sell the bike and is struggling with grasscutting and digging the garden. So we're working round it, getting him a smaller lighter mower and he's told the neighbours he can't carry on doing all their grass. He's nearly 74, but the only other man in this street is 90 so he was helping them all with their gardens 😄

• Like 3

Forgot to mention the weather! It's bright sun but very windy. I don't care, at least it's stopped bloody raining. Now my plants can all get blown to bits instead of drooned. God I wish I lived in Provence...

• Like 1
  • Paul locked this topic