Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Got woken up by Torriental rain at 3 o’clock this morning. Only the Met Office had predicted heavy rain 3 and 4am and it was spot on (others said dry). Heaviest rain I’ve had here this summer. Looking at the radar it gained intensity heading south over the Campsies and over Glasgow and Lanarkshire. 

• Like 6
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

A lovely morning here again today, but can it stay that way?

It's started like this most days this week before heading rapidly downhill towards clouds and showers, one of which yesterday afternoon was pretty torrential. At least I'm not having to water the garden, but I could do with it drying off a bit as the grass desperately needs cut again. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Last day in Glencoe today, has been a fab little trip. Loads of walks and kids bagged their 7th Munro Buachaille Etive Beag Stob Dubh (they did Stob Coire Raineach a few years ago). I'm still sore today. Weather's been mixed and hardly seen a midge. 

DSC_1643.JPG

DSC_1639.JPG

DSC_1589.JPG

DSC_1610.JPG

• Like 9

Cool fresh start to the day after overnight showers,Currently 15c Still some fair patches of snow on  Ben Wyvis.004.thumb.JPG.3f60eb644bc2fecc30b3e082f065e7f1.JPG As much as I have seen approaching mid July in a number of years. If they are still there in  August  they may make it to lasting snow in the late autumn.

• Like 8

After some heavy showers this afternoon with sleet on the high tops it has become a cool almost wintry sunset arounf the Firth.

A couple of photos one to the south east 006.thumb.JPG.ee2a8c7a6f943bb2b64ed9fdb9a489ef.JPGand one to the north 007.thumb.JPG.fb8619ff962144793fc856ea125c4fb4.JPGacross the Firth. Currently 10.5c

• Like 8

Best weather of the week, though that wouldn't be difficult!

Max of 15.2c and still quite a few showers but the difference today is that there were some decent spells of sunshine as well.

Combined with light winds, in the sunny spells feeling very pleasant.

Some lovely cloudscapes as well.

Snag_12e2b58.thumb.png.2f53f807f3e0a838a76cd8272fd2ff52.png

Snag_12e5c6b.thumb.png.025c528a86988c4f5a2aeed364b27ba0.png

• Like 7

Wee bit of sun today but mostly cloudy. Looks like it might eventually cheer up next week...............

• Like 4

Very useable day - no rain!

Not that much sunshine but appreciably warmer with a max of 18.2c and light winds throughout.

Lovely sunset again, though alas you can tell now that the nights are starting to lengthen.

Snag_2583179.thumb.png.a1185d49734e45198bc28cec1221d82d.png

• Like 6

What a lovely day. 18.8°C sunny periods. BBQ a success. Knackered and caught the sunshine 😎

• Like 6

A better couple of days over here. Yesterday the temperature crept up to 21.8c under sunny spells, easily the highest of the month so far. Clear sunny start this morning and though that won’t last we should get the best of the weather this week in the westerly set up.

• Like 4

We were definitely in the right spot today. 9 hours of sun and a max of 20c. 👍

• Like 3

Mostly dry and dull today but warmish at 18c allowing us to turn hay.

A comment about climate change.On the last small bowl of strawberries for tea today so season over.    40 years ago we still had the same variety Cambridge Favourite and they started fruiting around the begining of July and ended in the first week of August .Now they start and finish around two weeks earlier from mid June to mid July. Always remember watching Wimbledon with my mother and seeing them eat strawberries at the begining when ours were still flowering or just green. and as Wimbledon finished ours were just starting to fruit properly     Remember buying a punnet of strwberries in Aberdeen  as a treat   when I was at college in the third week of June which had been grown in England.

Neeps too in the field started to touch leaves across the rows in the first week of July this year somethng that normally happened in the first week of August back then.

A photo of  young Mr Northernlights002.thumb.JPG.a2f39e61447151b1ced7c567828faf8c.JPG roguinging the last of the wild oats  in the spring barley this week a job I started forty years ago.Had to spray them they were so thick in the seventies but now down to a handful of  plants in each field now    Roguieng is thousands of pounds cheaper than spraying.

• Like 9
5 hours ago, bomdabass said:

Hi folks, any way to find out what the number of sunshine hours has been so far for July at Met Office weather stations?

Hi, you can from here most don't offer sunshine statistics but Glasgow does poor going 48 hours to 14th.

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Résumé mensuel des observations météo ( températures minimales et maximales, précipitations et ensoleillement) de la station Glasgow (UK) ( United Kingdom )

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Mostly dry and dull today but warmish at 18c allowing us to turn hay.

A comment about climate change.On the last small bowl of strawberries for tea today so season over.    40 years ago we still had the same variety Cambridge Favourite and they started fruiting around the begining of July and ended in the first week of August .Now they start and finish around two weeks earlier from mid June to mid July. Always remember watching Wimbledon with my mother and seeing them eat strawberries at the begining when ours were still flowering or just green. and as Wimbledon finished ours were just starting to fruit properly     Remember buying a punnet of strwberries in Aberdeen  as a treat   when I was at college in the third week of June which had been grown in England.

Neeps too in the field started to touch leaves across the rows in the first week of July this year somethng that normally happened in the first week of August back then.

A photo of  young Mr Northernlights002.thumb.JPG.a2f39e61447151b1ced7c567828faf8c.JPG roguinging the last of the wild oats  in the spring barley this week a job I started forty years ago.Had to spray them they were so thick in the seventies but now down to a handful of  plants in each field now    Roguieng is thousands of pounds cheaper than spraying.

As if to back me up just read this on BBC news online

_113407729_gettyimages-1217494673.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The heatwave would have been almost impossible without human-caused climate change, a study says.

• Like 3

Warmish here, certainly no heatwave though, but disappointingly cloudy with more frequent drizzly showers than forecast (a few fairly heavy but short lived). 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, bomdabass said:

Hi folks, any way to find out what the number of sunshine hours has been so far for July at Met Office weather stations?

Some stats in the link below too though not every site has sunshine hours. Aviemore sitting on a meagre 34 hours for the month so far. 

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html

• Like 1
  • Paul locked this topic