Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Yes those two cells look decent - Kilmarnock area the better one!

7CAE668F-D99E-47C6-9C49-29529B664F85.thumb.png.5eeec5fd22bed249b468b9180d01c991.png9F732633-9F6B-465C-85D9-4579BFE8676C.thumb.png.af4826045c5b18db2e4ecf62ac52ac83.png

Wonder if we will see others start to explode - keep an eye out South of EK/Eaglesham ect ect!

Edit: Losing intensity now - classic pulse thunderstorm.

Ayrshire/Dumfries and Galloway again with the storms today! ?

@Ross B Any pictures from the Kilmarnock storm? (Think you said before you had family down there)

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Yes those two cells look decent - Kilmarnock area the better one!

7CAE668F-D99E-47C6-9C49-29529B664F85.thumb.png.5eeec5fd22bed249b468b9180d01c991.png9F732633-9F6B-465C-85D9-4579BFE8676C.thumb.png.af4826045c5b18db2e4ecf62ac52ac83.png

Wonder if we will see others start to explode - keep an eye out South of EK/Eaglesham ect ect!

Edit: Losing intensity now - classic pulse thunderstorm.

Ayrshire/Dumfries and Galloway again with the storms today! ?

@Ross B Any pictures from the Kilmarnock storm? (Think you said before you had family down there)

Yeah they're in killie but no photos, seems to have formed quickly so it'll just be photos of rain if I get them now! They are reporting loud thunder  

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, JamesM said:

Nothing yesterday, nothing close enough to wake me overnight although friends in Kilwinning reported it was quite lively in the early hours. 

Everything today has fizzled out before it got anywhere near here. The blob currently slap bang over Kilmarnock is about 8 miles south of me and is rumbling away in the distance.

Know how you feel pal. I thought we were going to get it nice earlier but its held off, the thunder of earlier has died off. So, I'm guessing the shows over before it really got started. Ach well, we've all summer yet!

• Like 2

Monster storm here between 5pm and 6pm. Frequent lightning and thunder which caused panic to the dogs. Torrential rain
I was trying to get a nap in pre-nightshift so not the best, never recorded any of it.

Lovely day before and after it at a 23.5c max with sunshine

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 3

Not my photo... 

Screenshot_20200617-200208_Chrome.jpg

There's a video on the page too, it's not that big. 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 6
27 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Good stuff! I’m off for a look @Ross B - would love to see a funnel cloud! I remember @howham saw one last Summer!

Can you see anything from Dumfries @SW Saltire - nice storm East of you.

2EC4B1B9-D038-4213-BEB6-AD3ADC08B093.thumb.png.6526fc5c1f4a0a4ebf868672ef59354e.png9A9F54A5-3898-4D11-9EBC-0D17E91A13F6.thumb.png.0f0b6c947373a5841f571530f2405761.png

Yeah can see and hear it but tracking slightly too far to the North but looks like somewhere Lockerbie/Moffat area will have had/be getting a soaking

• Like 3

Some showers here overnight but cloud broke up this morning to leave hazy sun with a max of 18.1C this afternoon. Since then it has been a battle between haar to my East and South over the river and the sun to the West. Has come and gone but the cloud eventually winning out though the thickest stuff is not here yet. Sun disappearing to the West a few minutes ago. 13C now.

074409FE-0D96-4734-965D-6D92EB5C6C14.jpeg

• Like 5

Very useable day.

Haar disappeared quickly in the morning (makes a change....) to leave a nondescript day with varying levels of sun and cloud (former more abundant late afternoon onwards).

Comfortable temperatures with a max of 20c in light winds.

Snag_28024d4.thumb.png.91f156bc7cd086bb9b6160fef6fc4797.png

• Like 4

I have quite enjoyed looking at all the haar pictures over the last few days - makes for quite a peaceful/calming scene! ? (Also enjoyed looking at @CatchMyDrift pegs and @Northernlights strawberries)

Two questions...why is it called Haar and is it just a NE/E/SE thing in Summer? Over in the West it’s simply named fog all year round. 

One of those things I have always thought about but never asked! ?

Edit: @Kirkcaldy Weather cheers for that! I should have just searched it really! ? Cool story about the thunderstorm though - that would indeed be very surreal but also quite an event to experience! ?

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

In contrast to south of the border, today is easily the best day of the week so far here - bright sunshine, refreshing breeze and 17.2C. Lovely.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, shuggee said:

In contrast to south of the border, today is easily the best day of the week so far here - bright sunshine, refreshing breeze and 17.2C. Lovely.

Snap

• Like 5

We had about 5 hours of sun yesterday here in Pittenweem while the haar was still rolling in at Crail just a few miles away - shows you just how unpredictable and localised it can be. It returned around 4pm and hasn't shifted since although it's not as thick currently. Yesterday's sun allowed temps to get up to the giddy heights of 16c! ?

@Mr Frost  I always think haar seems more interesting/atmospheric to those who don't regularly experience it. ? It's a pain in the neck, particularly because you know there's good weather close at hand, not sure if the likes of @Kirkcaldy Weather or other east/NE coasties would agree? Interesting to hear about the thunderstorm 6/7 years ago - as I mentioned above in the thread I had a similar experience in Crail in 2007 with an epic thunderstorm in the haar which blew my neighbour's radiator off the wall in a lightning strike. No other storm I've experienced in this country has come close to being as impressive.

Edit: sun trying hard to break through here now.

• Like 7

Maybe @Benvironment should play this when the haar is next on the horizon 

? possibly a chance of some thundery showers later tomorrow as that front moves across the country will have to see what later runs show.

• Like 7

Been a lovely day after the low cloud cleared (which didn't last long) hazy sun now though unsurprising considering that rain band. It's been a surprisingly better week than you would have thought. Tomorrow though could give us a storm or 2.....................(maybe)

• Like 4

Lovely day with plenty of sunshine and a high of 21C.

Nice wee sky at the moment:

3221CA55-0F1D-49E9-9936-8055BA11BA88.thumb.jpeg.27dd1ec00b98be3d5e1381a5b148e72c.jpeg

Convective weather latest for tomorrow:

935908D0-B022-4B9F-A1CF-D52A3C9D9693.thumb.png.9526617eaf03ef8de096637d6b29ec34.png

socialmedialogo.png
WWW.CONVECTIVEWEATHER.CO.UK

Forecasting thunderstorms and severe convective weather across the British Isles and Ireland for up to the next 5 days.

A few funnel clouds possible over Argyll and Ayrshire mentioned in the above.

Met Office:

FDC4E00F-EDE6-4765-9AB2-DEF328030F4D.thumb.png.eda8b255e406f352bc2896b5d68fbda6.pngEB6DAF0D-2A20-489C-9CEC-233370F9F9B4.thumb.png.e4d55397fc7294492483dfc2ba8fefe2.png

Heavy showers quite widespread tomorrow compared to the previous few days - temperature expected here 18/19C and sun should be shining by early afternoon. 

We go again...? 

Edit: @Stormeh agreed! I would love a bit of this overhead! ? (Funnel cloud @Ross B posted about the other day)

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 7

I was just waiting on your post regarding tomorrow @Mr Frost ?

Certainly looks more promising for many areas tomorrow for some heavy showers. Hopefully a few thunderstorms and maybe a even funnel cloud would be cool ?

• Like 3

Return to Aberdeenshire Permagloom™  ?

Day started with such potential with blue skies and sunshine.

Then by 08:30 the rot started with waves of Haar marching overhead until obscuring the sun completely by 10am.

Sun made a valiant attempt to break through the gloom at teatime but the Haar overcame that challenge.

Max temperature was 19c, recorded at 09:45 - thereafter the temperature remained stagnant at around 14/15c before slipping back further this evening (currently 12c).

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Is it too early to start on the gin? If somebody could wake me up in Octorber..

? Yes even by recent standards today is grim. Haar, drizzle, dreich and cool.

I see it got to 24.5c at Tyndrum yesterday, max was 14,9c at Leuchars.

June rapidly turning into a month to forget over here.

• Like 2
  • Paul locked this topic