Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Good to see some members getting some storms, Ayrshire has turned into Florida this week 

Dark clouds to my south but I doubt anything will reach here. Hopefully we get a big plume event soon with overnight thunderstorms.

• Like 3

Posted

They're getting closer but have lost intensity and no more lightning. Hoping they reinvigorate but I'm not hopeful. Another band moving into the far south which will no doubt give the far south some more storms soon. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, snowlessayr said:

20200617_180718.thumb.jpg.f4983da2bf04904410b8fd6b09b7af4c.jpg                                       still very convective looking here , maybe another storm later 

I'm about 7 miles away from Ayr town centre. Few storms working their way up from the galloway hills, can hear the thunder from here already, the sky to the south is turning nice and dark with some convection ahead of it as well. Looking good!

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, rossco89 said:

I'm about 7 miles away from Ayr town centre. Few storms working their way up from the galloway hills, can hear the thunder from here already, the sky to the south is turning nice and dark with some convection ahead of it as well. Looking good!

sounds good, fingers crossed it maintains its intensity for us 

• Like 2

Posted

Let's count the amount of storms here last few days....................a great big fat 0 ;) Been very unlucky as there been some right beasties around. Maybe friday we get something as the wind changes direction.................?

• Like 2

Posted

Nothing yesterday, nothing close enough to wake me overnight although friends in Kilwinning reported it was quite lively in the early hours. 

Everything today has fizzled out before it got anywhere near here. The blob currently slap bang over Kilmarnock is about 8 miles south of me and is rumbling away in the distance.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Yes those two cells look decent - Kilmarnock area the better one!

7CAE668F-D99E-47C6-9C49-29529B664F85.thumb.png.5eeec5fd22bed249b468b9180d01c991.png9F732633-9F6B-465C-85D9-4579BFE8676C.thumb.png.af4826045c5b18db2e4ecf62ac52ac83.png

Wonder if we will see others start to explode - keep an eye out South of EK/Eaglesham ect ect!

Edit: Losing intensity now - classic pulse thunderstorm.

Ayrshire/Dumfries and Galloway again with the storms today! 

@Ross B Any pictures from the Kilmarnock storm? (Think you said before you had family down there)

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Yes those two cells look decent - Kilmarnock area the better one!

7CAE668F-D99E-47C6-9C49-29529B664F85.thumb.png.5eeec5fd22bed249b468b9180d01c991.png9F732633-9F6B-465C-85D9-4579BFE8676C.thumb.png.af4826045c5b18db2e4ecf62ac52ac83.png

Wonder if we will see others start to explode - keep an eye out South of EK/Eaglesham ect ect!

Edit: Losing intensity now - classic pulse thunderstorm.

Ayrshire/Dumfries and Galloway again with the storms today! 

@Ross B Any pictures from the Kilmarnock storm? (Think you said before you had family down there)

Yeah they're in killie but no photos, seems to have formed quickly so it'll just be photos of rain if I get them now! They are reporting loud thunder ⚡ 

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, JamesM said:

Nothing yesterday, nothing close enough to wake me overnight although friends in Kilwinning reported it was quite lively in the early hours. 

Everything today has fizzled out before it got anywhere near here. The blob currently slap bang over Kilmarnock is about 8 miles south of me and is rumbling away in the distance.

Know how you feel pal. I thought we were going to get it nice earlier but its held off, the thunder of earlier has died off. So, I'm guessing the shows over before it really got started. Ach well, we've all summer yet!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Monster storm here between 5pm and 6pm. Frequent lightning and thunder which caused panic to the dogs. Torrential rain
I was trying to get a nap in pre-nightshift so not the best, never recorded any of it.

Lovely day before and after it at a 23.5c max with sunshine

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 3

Posted

Not my photo... 

Screenshot_20200617-200208_Chrome.jpg

There's a video on the page too, it's not that big. 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Good stuff! I’m off for a look @Ross B - would love to see a funnel cloud! I remember @howham saw one last Summer!

Can you see anything from Dumfries @SW Saltire - nice storm East of you.

2EC4B1B9-D038-4213-BEB6-AD3ADC08B093.thumb.png.6526fc5c1f4a0a4ebf868672ef59354e.png9A9F54A5-3898-4D11-9EBC-0D17E91A13F6.thumb.png.0f0b6c947373a5841f571530f2405761.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
27 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Good stuff! I’m off for a look @Ross B - would love to see a funnel cloud! I remember @howham saw one last Summer!

Can you see anything from Dumfries @SW Saltire - nice storm East of you.

2EC4B1B9-D038-4213-BEB6-AD3ADC08B093.thumb.png.6526fc5c1f4a0a4ebf868672ef59354e.png9A9F54A5-3898-4D11-9EBC-0D17E91A13F6.thumb.png.0f0b6c947373a5841f571530f2405761.png

Yeah can see and hear it but tracking slightly too far to the North but looks like somewhere Lockerbie/Moffat area will have had/be getting a soaking

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Some showers here overnight but cloud broke up this morning to leave hazy sun with a max of 18.1C this afternoon. Since then it has been a battle between haar to my East and South over the river and the sun to the West. Has come and gone but the cloud eventually winning out though the thickest stuff is not here yet. Sun disappearing to the West a few minutes ago. 13C now.

074409FE-0D96-4734-965D-6D92EB5C6C14.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted

Very useable day.

Haar disappeared quickly in the morning (makes a change....) to leave a nondescript day with varying levels of sun and cloud (former more abundant late afternoon onwards).

Comfortable temperatures with a max of 20c in light winds.

Snag_28024d4.thumb.png.91f156bc7cd086bb9b6160fef6fc4797.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I think we got an hour of hazy sunshine and 20C. Then it went dark again.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Did finally get some sunshine appearing here for a time today as @Hawesy noted but wasn’t too long before the cloud started moving in again and hasn’t shifted since. 

• Like 2

Posted

I have quite enjoyed looking at all the haar pictures over the last few days - makes for quite a peaceful/calming scene!  (Also enjoyed looking at @CatchMyDrift pegs and @Northernlights strawberries)

Two questions...why is it called Haar and is it just a NE/E/SE thing in Summer? Over in the West it’s simply named fog all year round. 

One of those things I have always thought about but never asked! 

Edit: @Kirkcaldy Weather cheers for that! I should have just searched it really!  Cool story about the thunderstorm though - that would indeed be very surreal but also quite an event to experience! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

@Mr Frost 

1200px-Haar_forth_rail_bridge.jpg
EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

I remember an eerie thunderstorm about 6/7 years ago was thick haar and loud thunder very odd experience was no chance of seeing lightning tho

• Like 5

Posted

In contrast to south of the border, today is easily the best day of the week so far here - bright sunshine, refreshing breeze and 17.2C. Lovely.

• Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, shuggee said:

In contrast to south of the border, today is easily the best day of the week so far here - bright sunshine, refreshing breeze and 17.2C. Lovely.

Snap

• Like 5