Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Yesterday was down to -1.5c when I got up at 5:30, a high of 11c. Felt ok in the sun.

Today got down to 0c at the same time (Still had to defrost the car), max just shy of 18c. Not far away from a real summery feel. 

As others have been discussing, not even 5mm of rain so far this month here and the next 6/7 days is varying degrees of sunny...

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

17.9C here was the max. Min nowhere near as cold as yesterday at 3C. Near wall to wall sunshine made it feel very pleasant. Ground here, at least in my garden is bone dry and has been for a couple of weeks. Grass had its first cut near the end of March but has hardly grown since so already looking like needing watering. No rain in the forecast for the foreseeable so I suspect the farmers and gardeners in the NE in particular will be looking for rain soon.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
23 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Sean Batty is going for a 20/21C in the North East tomorrow. 

Sean Batty was spot on.

Aboyne must be a great place to live for a weather lover - always gets a wee mention every year with regards to interesting stats.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 4

Posted

OK the breeze was noticeable but didn't spoil the day after that brief cloudy blip. Another absolute crackerjack. Doesn't look quite as good tomorrow perhaps

• Like 4

Posted

Gorgeous day.

Cold start with a minimum of -2c, but rocketing to 11c by 9am and reaching a max of 19.7c at teatime.

Strong sunshine for most of the day, occasionally masked by high level clouds.  More organised areas of low cloud appearing this evening in a fresh NW wind.

Grass got the first cut today but very little in the way of cuttings, goes to show that its growing slowly even with all the recent warmth.  Conversely the scarifier produced a scary amount of hay.  Sprinkler on this evening as areas of the lawn now showing drought stress

Changed times, used to be lots of planes going overhead so nobody took any notice.  Today though a military transport came over low which made the kids day.

Sea Thrift already flowering, that is weeks earlier than normal for here.

Snag_2be1594.thumb.png.d13bcc8bbcba0946d811a30aa6b99d53.png

Snag_2be7420.thumb.png.320d504756f0d07a5cc4fa509d67c484.png

Snag_2be4966.thumb.png.63af2a0ed45e74381af4b46322de5ab6.png

Snag_2beb203.thumb.png.8e9095855ecec9a731f1bc55fd69a8e9.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
9 hours ago, Quinach said:

Gorgeous day.

Cold start with a minimum of -2c, but rocketing to 11c by 9am and reaching a max of 19.7c at teatime.

The only real fault with it was it hasn't lasted. A chilly feel again this morning with a slight drizzle as I nipped out to the freezer in the garage. 

Gave my grass a second cut yesterday, although to be honest it wasn't in desperate need, just a tidy up needed. I could do with trying to see if the petrol scarifier in the garage works. It was left by the previous owners, who probably inherited it from the ones before that. There's a scary amount of moss in the lawn in places so if I do get it working it could be a big job. 

• Like 3

Posted

Appreciate i’m in the minority here but glorious day. Smidgen warmer than yesterday.

No real wind, total sunshine 14c. Max was only forecast to be 15 so expecting to get a fair bit higher. Sun feeling strong. The horrid desire to gouge my eyes out reminds me the grass hayfever season is here...

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
3 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

Appreciate i’m in the minority here but glorious day. Smidgen warmer than yesterday.

No real wind, total sunshine 14c. Max was only forecast to be 15 so expecting to get a fair bit higher. Sun feeling strong. The horrid desire to gouge my eyes out reminds me the grass hayfever season is here...

Very much the opposite over this way. Cloudy with a hint of dampness in the air and at under 9C about half the max of yesterday in the sunshine. Winds are light however but Easterly coming in off a cool north sea.

• Like 2

Posted

Fabulous spring day here blue skies and sunshine this afternoon but with a chilly NE wind off the North Sea .A   really typical April day up here currently 9c. Very clear air with great visibility to the North.

Fabulous day for weeding garden before it gets planted. Weeds shrivalling within an hour. Like to get the garden planted before I start cutting domestic grasses because usually by then there is enough grass in the fields to put cattle out full time to the grass and I get the time to do it

• Like 7

Posted

'fraid it's been a typical cool N Sea day here,

Weeds shrivalling within an hour. Love to have your magic remedy? :gathering:

Seriously, I'm struggling with weeds and a wee bit loss of old age momentum.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

No weeds up here - been too bloody cold for them! Only thing out here is my daffs.

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 5

Posted
50 minutes ago, mardatha said:

No weeds up here - been too bloody cold for them! Only thing out here is my daffs.

Daffs next to south facing dykes are already fading but ones next to north facing ones have not all come out yet        (probably ten per cent or so )

• Like 4

Posted

Must have been some significant rain overnight as the roads had some substantial puddles this morning.

Overcast in the morning and cool but the sun did try to make an appearance mid-afternoon, raising the temperature to 10.5c as a max.

Cool and cloudy again now, currently 5c and with calm conditions expect a grass frost at the minimum later.

Other half made the bi-monthly supermarket expedition today, and not a drop of flour to be found in the shops they went to.  Over a month since the mass hoarding and still shortages, goes to show how precarious food supply & distribution is in the UK.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Blue sky, chilly and a gentle to moderate southerly(ish) breeze at home, really quite pleasant in the shelter of the garden but nippy enough to need a coat on our brisk walk to the lighthouse. The daffs are still going strong. As are the weeds :wallbash:they just don't give up - there are patches already cleared that are now over-run again. Bastards.

Re the bread flour shortage. I found some in our local butcher today. £2.50 for a kg bag. Trouble is that you hear a Chinese whisper that some shop has it but unless you're prepared to jump in the car and drive 20 miles there and then, it's all gone.

@ciel and @Quinach - love the cloud photos :oldsmile:

• Like 2

Posted

Hit 18c here so a warmish feel despite a notable breeze. 
Next few days look meh before a recovery by Tuesday 

• Like 3

Posted

(Off for 6 days from tomorrow and those temperatures will be underestimates)

422B0965-E54D-4B24-A070-5EE449B6E203.jpeg

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 6

Posted

Somewhat off topic, but I have really sore hands from all the washing. Just wondering, I wash them under a running tap which gets hotter and hotter as the flow runs - the hands might be becoming semi-scalded?

Anyway, back on topic, quite a few Cus on the horizon.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, ciel said:

Somewhat off topic, but I have really sore hands from all the washing. Just wondering, I wash them under a running tap which gets hotter and hotter as the flow runs - the hands might be becoming semi-scalded?

Anyway, back on topic, quite a few Cus on the horizon.

Looks as though we may have the same problem dry skin and all this washing dries them out even more. Old family doctor in the sixties told my mother she lacked a layer of skin so I know who to blame!!!

Fabulous sunny start to the day  with a moderate Easterly breeze but chilly at 0c

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
40 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Looks as though we may have the same problem dry skin and all this washing dries them out even more. Old family doctor in the sixties told my mother she lacked a layer of skin so I know who to blame!!!

Fabulous sunny start to the day  with a moderate Easterly breeze but chilly at 0c

As you get older, the skin takes longer to produce more oils that are needed to keep it flexible, so the more you wash your hands, the more they'll dry out. Me and Ms HC have had rather sore knuckles for a while now.  Use hand cream to reduce the problem - there's some stuff called Unguentum M that is expensive but helps lots. I used to use it when I worked in a soils lab in the days before wearing gloves was obligatory. I guess everyone has their favourite cream though... 

• Like 6

Posted

Horrible day in Edinburgh, just 9C, overcast and cold easterly winds. The low clouds just keep rolling in. GFS cloud cover forecast got it wrong this time, today was supposed to be a bit brighter than yesterday, but it isn't.

More of the same tomorrow. Maybe Sunday will be a bit brighter? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Afternoon all

Hope you are all well.

It has been a wonderful Spring month so far and looks as though it will stay that way for the remainder.

Another day here with plenty of blue sky/sunshine and a current temperature of 12C. (Feeling very pleasant)

A92963C3-E263-47EF-B660-DEAD535E1EC6.thumb.jpeg.64e066905583ae67823f5ec5ccd89dbb.jpeg

Much like @SW Saltire the outlook is for more of the same. (Temperatures rising - April average here is 11C)

0A687F03-A282-4166-8D4F-F8328284BA6E.thumb.png.71cf74dd5a230c4481530cf562bdc26a.png

MeteoGroup extended below:

265822B5-B1BA-4F94-92BC-25FA837DBEA3.thumb.png.31aefaea6069085008cf3eeb9bff0dfe.png

Hopefully Summer follows a similar pattern to this! (Thunderstorms as well please )

All the best and have a good weekend! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5

Posted

A wee bit off topic again, but, of Scottish interest, I would really like to know, not the date, but whether or not there is any actual strategy or planning for our future management of this virus. I think Norway and Finland among others have committees looking at such issues.

And who are the advisory SAGE members? The lack of transparency, the afternoon grand-standing, I find concerning.

Posted

Quite cloudy and breezy but not cold. Don't look like any rain for at least the next week (and beyond?)

• Like 3