Jump to content
Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Nr Sauchen, Aberdeenshire, 100m ASL
  • Location: Nr Sauchen, Aberdeenshire, 100m ASL

    Reasonable day after a cold start (-1c overnight).

    60:40 mix of cloud/sunshine with a light to moderate breeze, dry throughout.  When the sun was out felt very pleasant indeed.

    Had to do some shopping and that was not pleasant, Costco & Aldi the busiest I have ever seen them and that was mid-morning!

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 5.6k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

    Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

    The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Dunoon, Argyll, Scotland
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and Snow
  • Location: Dunoon, Argyll, Scotland

    This week so far in Dunoon has been cloudy with showers no real change then! Today was very windy for a while in the afternoon with a few heavy hail showers but mostly it's all just been rain. The snow on the hills around here has almost gone now. The good news is high pressure looks to be coming in next week giving us some drier and settled weather but how long it will last is still uncertain at the moment.

    • Like 7
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Currie, SW Edinburgh, 140m (459ft) asl
  • Location: Currie, SW Edinburgh, 140m (459ft) asl

    Turning increasingly from heavy sleet to wet snow as the temp drops. Hideous evening! One of the worst cycles home yet! Horrid!

    • Like 8
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: West Aberdeenshire
  • Location: West Aberdeenshire
    13 hours ago, Quinach said:

    Reasonable day after a cold start (-1c overnight).

    60:40 mix of cloud/sunshine with a light to moderate breeze, dry throughout.  When the sun was out felt very pleasant indeed.

    Had to do some shopping and that was not pleasant, Costco & Aldi the busiest I have ever seen them and that was mid-morning!

    I hit up Tescos Inverurie at 6an, the store is deserted. No C19 so far.

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: NH7256
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
  • Location: NH7256
    57 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

    I hit up Tescos Inverurie at 6an, the store is deserted. No C19 so far.

    Not a happy state of affairs. I just wish the young people would take their personal hygiene seriously.

    • Like 5
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Tullynessle/Inverurie
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
  • Location: Tullynessle/Inverurie

    Well we're well stocked up on loo rolls anyway, via accidental panic buys. I was at Home Bargains last week so grabbed a pack of 18, only to find wife  had done similar the previous week when I went to put them in the cupboard. That was on top of what was already there. Even for 4 of us we should be OK for quite a while, lol. 

    Back on weather news, 1C with a dusting of wet looking snow on the hills around Alford this morning. 

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Near Lauder, SE Scotland, 175 m asl
  • Location: Near Lauder, SE Scotland, 175 m asl

    If people are interested, at work (chemistry lab) we just made up our own hand sanitizer

    You can get recipes on the internet, but it's just alcohol and a thickener / moisturizer (to stop it evaporating too quick + drying your skin too much).

    We tried various mixtures and settled on 70% surgical spirit (denatured ethanol / booze alcohol) / 15% glycerin and 15% propylene glycol by volume.

    Likewise aloe vera gel can be used instead of glycerin / propylene glycol if you have posh hands.

    Glycerin and propylene glycol are vapouriser liquids / food grade, so you can get everything on ebay / amazon now easy.

    They are both edible, but don't drink the stuff (I'm talking to you HC!) as the denatured alcohol will make you sick.

    Please follow appropriate H&S, and I take no responsibility for the mess you make in the kitchen. ?

    Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 8
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: NH7256
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
  • Location: NH7256
    1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

    If people are interested, at work (chemistry lab) we just made up our own hand sanitizer

    You can get recipes on the internet, but it's just alcohol and a thickener / moisturizer (to stop it evaporating too quick + drying your skin too much).

    We tried various mixtures and settled on 70% surgical spirit (denatured ethanol / booze alcohol) / 15% glycerin and 15% propylene glycol by volume.

    Likewise aloe vera gel can be used instead of glycerin / propylene glycol if you have posh hands.

    Glycerin and propylene glycol are vapouriser liquids / food grade, so you can get everything on ebay / amazon now easy.

    They are both edible, but don't drink the stuff (I'm talking to you HC!) as the denatured alcohol will make you sick.

    Please follow appropriate H&S, and I take no responsibility for the mess you make in the kitchen. ?

    Vinegar is reputed to wipe out viruses, I've heard. Cheaper than most stuff, especially vodka and no temptation to drink it. Even with chips ?

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Near Lauder, SE Scotland, 175 m asl
  • Location: Near Lauder, SE Scotland, 175 m asl
    35 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

    Vinegar is reputed to wipe out viruses, I've heard. Cheaper than most stuff, especially vodka and no temptation to drink it. Even with chips ?

    Slapping it on your hands regularly will also aid with social distancing I imagine too. ?

    • Like 5
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada (1230m asl)
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
  • Location: Calgary, Canada (1230m asl)

    The sogfest continues with more rain overnight topping everything up again:

    20200313_093208.thumb.jpg.fff6c9e4df828ec049470a49ddf90fec.jpg

    All the ground is saturated, puddles everywhere. The grass in the garden has started to get slime growing in the mud patches. This stretch of road has now been flooded for three months, it does go down slowly but then just refills every time it rains. It's not supposed to be like this here.

    • Like 6
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada (1230m asl)
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
  • Location: Calgary, Canada (1230m asl)
    44 minutes ago, mardatha said:

    Wonder why they haven't dug a ditch there Catch? That would fix it.

    Aye, there is a drain through the wall to the left of the pic. Just needs a trench dug.

    20200301_081920.thumb.jpg.6e1c3396c941c45341d932616e5ba6a9.jpg

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: NH7256
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
  • Location: NH7256
    6 hours ago, scottish skier said:

    Slapping it on your hands regularly will also aid with social distancing I imagine too. ?

    Well yeah, I guess. But it's more for cleaning and disinfecting door handles, light switches, toilet knobs (what do you call the things you push on the top of newer toilets anyway?) and so on, esp for viruses.

    Not much weather however. Rather uneventful, as is usual at the end of winter.

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: NH7256
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
  • Location: NH7256
    3 hours ago, Sceptical said:

    Sunny intervals and feeling cool at 4C. Hopefully make a dent in this lot before darkness sets in.

     

    20200313_141525.jpg

    Try running at it fast and taking a swing at it with a fence post? :whistling:

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: West Aberdeenshire
  • Location: West Aberdeenshire
    9 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

    Try running at it fast and taking a swing at it with a fence post? :whistling:

    Graft abandoned - to cold to be messing about outside. That snowshovel hasn't seen active service since 2011.

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Upper Tweeddale, Scottish Borders 240m ASL
  • Location: Upper Tweeddale, Scottish Borders 240m ASL

    Thirty-third air frost last night at -0.5°C.

    Really quite a nice day. 

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Near Lauder, SE Scotland, 175 m asl
  • Location: Near Lauder, SE Scotland, 175 m asl
    3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

    Well yeah, I guess. But it's more for cleaning and disinfecting door handles, light switches, toilet knobs (what do you call the things you push on the top of newer toilets anyway?) and so on, esp for viruses.

    Not much weather however. Rather uneventful, as is usual at the end of winter.

    Ethanol:

    1-s2.0-S0195670118X00048-cov150h.gif
    WWW.SCIENCEDIRECT.COM

    Ethanol is used worldwide in healthcare facilities for hand rubbing. It has been reported to have a stronger and broader virucidal activity compared w…

    Vinegar:

    8807274-16x9-large.jpg?v=2
    WWW.ABC.NET.AU

    Plenty of people swear by vinegar, but can it actually kill nasty household bugs?

    Interestingly, the first mentions citric acid (the tang in lemon juice) as a good anti-viral. It smells and tastes nicer than acetic!

    ---

    As for the weather, how come winter keeps bloody arriving when we want spring!

    Charts showing beasterlies developing FGS.

    t850Midlothian.png

    -10 T850s!

     

    Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 9
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: South Falkirk 111m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
  • Location: South Falkirk 111m asl

    Lovely bright sunny day. 

    Job interview went OK (I think) though its always disconcerting to know your oldest son is older than the person interviewing you. 

    Virus - have moved to seriously worried mode, 90 yo mum, 80 ym mum in law, 21 yo immune compromised nephew and more (pretty sure we'll all be in this boat). 

    We've not stocked up, but we already had a camping stash so no need. 

    Hope all are well. 

     

    • Like 7
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: West Aberdeenshire
  • Location: West Aberdeenshire

    Cold wet start to the day, typical given I've still 3 bags of firewood to move and dump into the wood shed.

    Currently 2C windy and cold rain.

    Edited by Sceptical
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: West Aberdeenshire
  • Location: West Aberdeenshire
    6 hours ago, snowidea said:

    Lovely bright sunny day. 

    Job interview went OK (I think) though its always disconcerting to know your oldest son is older than the person interviewing you. 

    Virus - have moved to seriously worried mode, 90 yo mum, 80 ym mum in law, 21 yo immune compromised nephew and more (pretty sure we'll all be in this boat). 

    We've not stocked up, but we already had a camping stash so no need. 

    Hope all are well. 

     

    Imagine living through the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic. 500 million infected globally with the death toll put anywhere between 17 and 100 million.

    The risk is with the current C19 virus is it mutates into something more severe. As for a vaccine, 4 of the other coronavirus, still dont have a vaccine developed. 

    Edited by Sceptical
    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
    • Flooding threat as more heavy rain and thunderstorms arrive from France

      There has already been heavy rain and storms this week for the SE with rain this morning across more of England. With further episodes, there is the risk of flooding this weekend. Read the full update here

      Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      More heavy, thundery rain for England

      Further pulses of heavy rain will move up from the south in the coming days with the threat of torrential downpours from thunderstorms. Read the full update here

      Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts
      Latest weather updates from Netweather 1

      UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

      UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2021-06-16 23:15:36 Valid: 17/06/2021 0600 - 18/06/2021 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 17TH JUNE 2021 Click here for the full forecast

      Nick F
      Nick F
      Latest weather updates from Netweather
    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...