Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
13 minutes ago, Marc said:

Wild primrose. 

Thanks. Debate was primrose or primula.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Please god not more cold. I've haddit wi cold. Son who has asthma texted to say he's got what he hopes is a bad cold..

• Like 1

Posted

Dank cycle to work. Not to do any work but remove the keys from the key safe outside the shutter & front door. Don't think I will go back to work for a while.

I like to be prepared in general and when I saw this situation unfolding I bought a jigsaw. I find them relaxing to do and when it is combined with a map then even better. It is now sold out via Amazon so glad a bought it 10 days ago! It The jigsaw is a 1000 piece Ordance Survey map of central Glasgow. Thought I'd bring an old jigsaw out to test run it as I haven't done any since we got our cat Florence. Wish me luck!

My sister in law Emma Pollock is on the Robin Ince (side kick to the scientist Brian Cox) show Cosmic Shambles 'The Stay At Home Festival'. One of our other artists Malcolm Middleton (Arab Strap) is also playing a live set. Starts in 15 minutes at 8.30. You can also catch up with the show later or view older episodes.
https://cosmicshambles.com/stayathome/live

3836eae7-93c0-4d1d-840e-290ebd2e0d86.__CR202,0,1013,1013_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

IMG_6019.JPG

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Mentioned earlier that it felt mild despite of clouding over. Max was 15.3C smashing the previous 2020 high of 11.9C and indeed  being the highest temp since the 24th Sept 2019 for me.

edit. That seemed a very high reading and having checked nearby reports something must be wrong. Changed batteries in my Oregon w/s last night so must be related to this I think. Will have to wait a bit longer for some heat I fear.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3

Posted

He just said he feels ill and has a smoky-feeling chest and a sore throat Catch.

Posted
8 minutes ago, mardatha said:

He just said he feels ill and has a smoky-feeling chest and a sore throat Catch.

Maybe just a usual bug. Will feel better in the morning hopefully. My daughter also has asthma which is usually quite mild but it is still a concern especially now.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, ciel said:

Stuck under frontal cloud all day, but at least it has been dry, with a temp of 10C and a noticeable cooling SW breeze.

I don't suppose there is much demand for cut flowers these days, just a few picked last week. The bulbs may be lifted later this year, but with the USA apparently being the biggest market for them, who knows?

One from my once daily exercise :oldmellow:

1292622785_daffs2.thumb.jpg.6be61a4c02ab65e8cc99fce4d8746e26.jpg

CALM here today damp and drizzly. Think I may have been talking to the farmer whose daffodils they are today an old college friend. Pickers had to be paid off and return to Lincolnshire.  Plenty of empty planes so the cut flowers could have found a market in USA as well.

• Like 4

Posted
34 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Mentioned earlier that it felt mild despite of clouding over. Max was 15.3C smashing the previous 2020 high of 11.9C and indeed  being the highest temp since the 24th Sept 2019 for me.

edit. That seemed a very high reading and having checked nearby reports something must be wrong. Changed batteries in my Oregon w/s last night so must be related to this I think. Will have to wait a bit longer for some heat I fear.

15.4°C here. Wasn't expecting that - was out in t shirt but am quite pleasantly surprised! Walking round the garden in trainers and not wellies for the first time in months. 

• Like 7

Posted

Really warm day (now, not had to say that for a while!) with a max of 14.9c.

With the wind lighter today, it felt really pleasant out.  Just a pity the sun never came out, would have been fascinating to see how high the temperature would have reached then!

Only the first few days of the lock-down and already friction between country and town - I see on the local Facebook site that over at Sauchen the farmer stuck this up .  Going to be a long year.

Snag_2b6c8fd.thumb.png.7d41d5b0235d8e849f99b5c97a7d1f4d.png

• Like 5

Posted

Bit of a shock last night to read on village community council fb group that this tiny village has several people ill at home and one serious in hospital. This is what Wiki says about this village:
"The village comprises some 150 dwellings, spread over a geographical area of around 50 square miles (130 km2), most of which is moorland. Connected to the rest of the world primarily through the A7 road"

Brings it home about how insidious this-  if you'll excuse the pun

Meanwhile the fog has just rolled in and added to ambiance

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 6

Posted

Dull and damp. 7C. Dreich just about covers it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Better here, to an extent. Cloudy, dry, calm and 8/9C. 

• Like 2

Posted

Same here Ravelin. Dry, sunny spells and currently 10.8C. 

• Like 2

Posted

Met office outlook:

Monday 30 Mar - Wednesday 8 Apr

Towards the end of March it will be largely dry, however, eastern areas will likely see showers of hail and snow at times, which will accumulate on higher ground and could give some snow and ice to lower levels during the night. A northeasterly wind will keep it cold. High pressure conditions should dominate through the beginning of April, bringing plenty of dry, fine weather with bright or sunny spells across the UK, particularly in West. Winds will be predominantly light, with any breezier weather bringing a significant wind chill, indeed it looks likely to remain colder than average with further chance of snow. Unsettled conditions will tend to gradually become more established from the northwest later, bringing spells of wind and rain.

Posted
35 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Met office outlook:

Monday 30 Mar - Wednesday 8 Apr

Towards the end of March it will be largely dry, however, eastern areas will likely see showers of hail and snow at times, which will accumulate on higher ground and could give some snow and ice to lower levels during the night. A northeasterly wind will keep it cold. High pressure conditions should dominate through the beginning of April, bringing plenty of dry, fine weather with bright or sunny spells across the UK, particularly in West. Winds will be predominantly light, with any breezier weather bringing a significant wind chill, indeed it looks likely to remain colder than average with further chance of snow. Unsettled conditions will tend to gradually become more established from the northwest later, bringing spells of wind and rain.

I think that they are talking more about SE UK for the North Easterly. More North Westerly here. Maybe if the LP to the North comes South we can get more of a Northerly or even a NE flow once the fronts go through.

79590833-DEEF-44CC-8FA6-BF45E0309543.png

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Norrance said:

I think that they are talking more about SE UK for the North Easterly. More North Westerly here. Maybe if the LP to the North comes South we can get more of a Northerly or even a NE flow once the fronts go through.

79590833-DEEF-44CC-8FA6-BF45E0309543.png

Hopefully keep more of them indoors.

Posted

Looks like the forecast was spot on. A wee shower has formed in the SW of scotland small but quite stationery for about a hour or so

• Like 2

Posted

Well it was dreich this morning but if there is such a thing it is much "dreicher" now. Mist, fine rain / drizzle, the kind that soaks through everything quickly. Still 7C with a light NE breeze.

Just reading about a climber who got injured above Glenlyon this week. Two ambulance men, one paramedic, one policeman, two police co-ordinators, one helicopter plus crew and the mountain rescue team (and a couple of local volunteers) all tied up for hours. These people may well be needed elsewhere so the message is stay away from the hills.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

A bright start in Caithness but it slowly clouded over and now we're back to drabness.

Spring is springing though. 

Elder unfurling: elder.thumb.jpg.3e074af75809d783d5fe14a5caf14772.jpg  

Hare's-tail cotton-grass flower shoots growing quickly in the bogs now 1403856855_Eriovag.thumb.jpg.33368eeace63697987b73404cbc90fb8.jpg       

And hawthorn buds swelling hawthorn.thumb.jpg.72297b11c92d5533eae63a502fae8772.jpg

Already getting cabin fever - lockdown for me means social isolation Monday to Friday, going out to solitary work then back to an empty flat.

At least I still have a job and my health!                                       

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Car was reading 18c today, felt really pleasant in the sun (True temp probs about 15/16c - albeit Cumbria registered 18c I note)

Most people are also heeding the social distancing which is very good. Eerily quiet in certain places.

Fingers crossed the next three weeks makes a difference

• Like 3

Posted

2nd April 2018 and 3rd April 2019:

IMG_20180402_163727.jpg

IMG_20190403_063357.jpg

4th April 2020???

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

@mardatha I hope your son's OK. Hubby and I have been self isolating since Sunday as he started with a dry cough followed by a tight chest and swollen glands. Cough started for me on Monday but my glands were up at the weekend. Neither of us has a fever and we've both been carrying on with work (from home). No idea if we have "the bug" or just some other random bug.

It's hard not to be able to go out, especially as we don't feel too bad but we are sticking religiously to the house as the message has well and truly sunk in for us. 

Weather's been a bit nondescript here for the last two days, looking forward to spring now.

Keep safe all. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
22 hours ago, mardatha said:

Smokey feeling chest sums up exactly how we felt earlier this week. As if you'd been out on the lash and overdone the ciggies (been 14 years since I had a cigarette but I remember that feeling). Hoping his symptoms continue as mild as ours have (whatever bug this is). 

• Like 6