Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

long hail session here about 12:30, still lingering on glass now. Quite a change . Super showers going past east Lothian this morning

hailsept.jpg

sept24radarhail2.png

• Like 6

Posted

Dry but overcast (bar fleeting appearance of the sun around teatime).

Cold start with overnight low of 4c; max of 11c.

Always impressed at how quickly a flock of starlings can strip a tree of berries - one of our 15ft+ high rowans was descended upon by a flock in the morning and was stripped by late afternoon.  Noisy eaters as well!

Nice sunset this evening.

Snag_6d0359.thumb.png.422c38d7f59c7bc6a72e8577bd0853d3.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Another cracking morning with clear skies, bright sunlight and an autumnal crispness in the air.

Temperature now 5.4 deg.C after an overnight low of 2.2 deg.C at 04:55, 84% relative humidity, no wind, no rain, no cloud and pressure at 1010.1 hPa.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Chilly this morning.. a mix of showers and sunshine. Breezy still and I woke to the heating having kick in overnight . Which means the temperature has dropped below 18c inside. Not all bad tho as my floors are now toasty and warm.

Looks like a cool weekend coming up, if only it was winter proper could have been some fun and games being had. Oh well plenty of time for that to come.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Pretty much the same temperature today as in the last couple of days.  However is mostly cloudy and that NNE wind has a real edge to it now. 11C. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
2 hours ago, Norrance said:

Pretty much the same temperature today as in the last couple of days.  However is mostly cloudy and that NNE wind has a real edge to it now. 11C. 

Peaked at 12C here, and coupled with the lengthening shadows it does make it feel more seasonal. It was about time we got some single digit nights up here as the persistence of mild nights was pushing the month to be the mildest of the ten Septembers I've had here in the Lomonds. But thankfully the run of cooler days is bringing it back down to something closer to average. Same happened last month with August. It was set to be the mildest I'd recorded but then the final week brought it down a tad.

Edited by Benvironment
  • Like 3

Posted

It's been a decent day. The cloud built up by lunchtime to about five or six eighths cover, the wind has averaged 2mph from the north or just west of north with a gust of 17mph at 12:51, r.h. at 64%, pressure at 1013.7 hPa. Temperature now 11.7 deg.C with a maximum of 14.4 deg.C at 14:30.

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
  • Like 5

Posted

Just been out to the bin shed.. blimey that wind is cold. A shock to the system.

• Like 3

Posted

What a difference a week makes!

However, it was a real pleasure to see so many different species of bird at my newest feeder this morning including chaffinches, blue tits, spurdies and either a green or gold finch which I’ve never seen in my garden before. Although that may just be because I’ve been away at work rather than working from home and have just missed them. Dogs were also fascinated...patio doors is there own personal tv screen

C4E6C442-C0A7-4616-8900-81591186E4F8.png

AE81E0C4-6646-4A6C-AF08-4790BE7F7760.jpeg

65A204E6-E50A-42F2-BE87-AEB7207B8196.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted

Winter arrived today in terms of wind chill, absolutely baltic feeling in the strong NE wind which has been here all day.

Max of 9.5c so the first single digit max of the autumn.

Some good sunny periods though so actually felt pleasant enough out of the wind - in the greenhouse lovely and warm at 22c!

Another nice sunset this evening, see there is also a outside chance of some aurora as well - up in Shetland its spectacular looking at the Eshaness Lighthouse - https://www.shetlandwebcams.com/eshaness-lighthouse/

Snag_30afa46.thumb.png.a00797ac0720a04e0abedd2cf33ca65b.png

Snag_309ede7.thumb.png.ffaf17faf3363b6ea893162ea47b45eb.png

Snag_30a2523.thumb.png.10956abab0d04398e055dc0ad3b9a9e0.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
7 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

@Benvironment whats a Ked??

I sort of thought a Ked was another Scottish term for a horse fly (cleg) , which are bloody annoying and have a nasty bite, but it appears they are deer fly... 

https://scotland-species.nbnatlas.org/species/NBNSYS0000030997

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Yet another cracking morning. This is unbelievable. Wall to wall sunshine and not a cloud to be seen. Another great day to get out and about.

Temperature 2.4 deg.C with a minimum overnight of -0.6 deg.C at 06:12, 94% relative humidity, no wind, pressure at 1019.0 hPa, and no rain in the last 24 hours.

• Like 4

Posted

@Puffy MacCloud total opposite here.. wall to wall cloud no sunshine to be seen and a strong gusty wind..

The only good thing about this mornjng was tattie scones, bacon and eggs for breakfast.

Edited by Mair Snaw
  • Like 3

Posted

Wintry sunrise this morning with some cumulus clouds coming in off the Firth from the NE on a fresh wind. Very cool feeling.

Sudden change in weather means partial winter feeding has started for cattle outside as grass at these temperatures has very little mineral content.This was demonstrated by a newly calved cow with "staggers" yesterday morning necessitating visit by vet and iv magesium and calcium. From a collapsed state to sitting up in 30 minutes but we were lucky as we could easily have lost her.Calf is fine and both are now inside for two days. Lots of molassed(sugar) mineral buckets in field but she may have not taken enough as she was calving .

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, Mair Snaw said:

@Puffy MacCloud total opposite here.. wall to wall cloud no sunshine to be seen and a strong gusty wind..

The only good thing about this mornjng was tattie scones, bacon and eggs for breakfast.

I'm sorry that the weather gods aren't smiling on you but at least you had a good breakfast. I'm on my fourth large mug of tea that still hasn't touched the sides of my hangover; the idea of food is not appealing.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Mostly sunny here this morning but clouding over now in the light Northerly breeze.  First visible ground frost here today though the air temp didn't get below 2C. Now up to 10.3C. 
edit. Wind no longer light and it is quite gusty making it feel cold with pretty much complete cloud cover now.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 4

Posted

Second air frost with min of 0.0°C. Beautiful day walking up Glenholm this afternoon 

PXL_20200926_143338616.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Grey and more grey today infact I'm sure somebody wrote a book about different grey shades. Im sure I've seen all of them today.

The strong wind has slowly died down so that's at least something.

• Like 2

Posted

Following a dawn to dusk cracker of a day yesterday, this morning is again dry, sunny and crisp.

Temperature currently -0.7 deg.C up from a minimum of -1.4 deg.C at 06:41, relative humidity is 95%, there's no wind, pressure is 1020.3 hPa and steady, and there's been no rain in the last 24 hours.

There's a definite frost on the ground this morning so I think I'll advance my usual 1st of October date for putting out the bird feeders.

• Like 6