Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted

The weather forgot to consult the forecast today as it turned into a fine very humid sunny afternoon with a fine sunset to the west now and no longer north west.

Just missed the best  with the camera003.thumb.JPG.fd26c9ba0292f1fd5a06901bdbe7420a.JPG.but went wow its warm out there and its currently 20c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 7

Posted

Cool start with a minimum overnight of 5.1c and a heavy autumn dew on the grass.

Thereafter a belter of a day - mainly sunny, light winds and a max of 20.2c.

• Like 4

Posted

What a cracking day it’s been! Although it was a chilly start at 5.8c, it topped out at 23.8 and made for a very pleasant lunch break. Spent the evening outdoors with the youth group but the grass was damp this week whereas the last couple of weeks we’ve been able to sit on it after dark. I hope this settled spell continues until the tattie holidays.

3801D9D1-5A99-4F25-B88D-B402CB98685A.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

It's still quite a long way out but the following keeps showing up around next weekend.... 

gfsnh-0-216.png gfsnh-1-216.png

Not sure I'm ready for that quite yet. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

A bright and sunny start to the day. At first I thought we have a clear sky but on second viewing there is some very high, thin cloud to the east.

Temperature currently 9.2 deg.C, overnight minimum 6.6 deg.C at 06:40, relative humidity 95%, no wind, barometer at 1030.5 hPa (height adjusted), and no rain recorded in the past 24 hours.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Another stunning day here. Warm sunny and a hint of a breeze. 

May have eaten too much food yesterday at dinner. One large fish and chips for me and then i finished off what the kids left. Can't stand to see food go to waste, but the equivalent of 3 portions of fish and chips plus wine and beer is probably over doing it..

Happy Friday to you all and hope the weekend brings much joy and happiness.

• Like 5

Posted

Ever so slight more of a breeze compared to yesterday but it's glorious once again. Why couldn't we get this during summer?!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Finished work for the week and sitting outside in the sun with a beer. Life doesn't get much better. Oh wait, I'm off Mon & Tue too, so it does get better. 

• Like 4

Posted

What a nice day. Max. temperature was 20.7 deg.C at 13:16, now down to 16.2 deg.C, relative humidity 65%, no wind to speak of, barometer now falling slowly 1028.8 hPa, no rain all day.

• Like 4

Posted

18.2°C high here. Pleasant with high cloud, slight breeze and not at all humid. 

IMG_20200918_162302.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Baltic this morning! Lowest overnight temp so far at 2c! Was 3c here at 7am with a decent haar that's shifting pretty quickly. Could be another beautiful day! 

• Like 2

Posted

Chilly here too, but at least it's sunny.

Temperature 8.3 deg.C up from minimum of 4.6 deg.C at 02:52, humidity 90%,  very light breeze from n.n.w., barometer at 1027.8 hPa, no rainfall recorded.

Purely of academic interest obviously but what is your preferred hangover cure?

• Like 1

Posted

Won't be another dawn to dusk clear day (low cloud's put paid to that) but the cloud is clearing now so should be another stonker of a afternoon

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, NUT said:

Won't be another dawn to dusk clear day (low cloud's put paid to that) but the cloud is clearing now so should be another stonker of a afternoon

What of modern-era years will always like this one, eh, and equinoctial stonkers become the norm? Just like in spring, it's pretty much one end the country to t'other!:oldgood:

But... nothing lasts forever!:oldsad:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
On 13/09/2020 at 22:19, Quinach said:

We had a couple of Border Terriers (last past away a couple of years ago at 15 years old).

Great pets and a big contrast to the gundogs (Setters) we had previous to them.  The ability to pick them up is really needed as they are a feisty breed so for their own sake you need to grab them out of trouble at times!  Incredible stamina but you do need to train them well in recall - they are natural hunters and if they see a rabbit for example a poorly trained Border will be off and you will never see them again until the deed is done.  Same for most terriers actually.  If you do get one, invest in a good stripping knife as you will need to strip their coats twice a year - not a onerous job once you get the hang of it.  Oh and they love food, so make sure you hide their food well otherwise they will gooble the lot (always remember one time the two of them found the bag of complete dog food unguarded - we came back to find them with massively swollen stomachs as they ate over 0.5kg each, cue vet trip...).  

Used to be a very healthy breed but like virtually all purebred dogs these days, once they started getting popular in the early 2000's the less ethical breeders start appearing.  Hence emergence of some nasty health problems - the good breeders have been proactive though in highlighting the risks of poor breeding and there is even a dedicated group working to improve the breeds health - BorderTerrierHealth.  As long as you go to a well known and established breeder you should be fine

Thanks for the advice, they do sound like very characterful dogs, just what we think we'd like. I've contacted a couple of breeders and am waiting for one to get back to me with information about their breeding program. 

Posted

From a low of 5.7c this morning and a hazy sky, it’s turned into a fabulous afternoon, currently at 22.4c. I’ve made full use of the conditions, setting up my dog groom room in my new shed, and keeping on top of the weeds in the borders. Now going to sit with a cold drink and do a bit of reading and enjoy the sunshine and heat while it lasts. If those charts and the forecast on my phone app are anything to go by, this weekend’s conditions might be the last warmth we’ll enjoy for quite some time.

That said, I’m excited for winter ❄️

• Like 2

Posted

What a pleasant day. Had lunch out with my daughters and now preparing to take the older one to the airport at the end of her eight week visit.

Temperature 18.4 deg.C, down from a max of 18.6 deg.C an hour ago, 56% humidity, only the faintest breath of wind, no rain, barometer at 1026.0 hPa and falling slowly, not a cloud in the sky. Splendid!

• Like 4

Posted

Fabulous day here too but very very humid. Aircon on tractor working overtime  as young Mr Northernlights takes in the last of the straw bales.The condenser on it has a  pipe that discharges onto the tractor wheel and the wheel is absolutely soaking.The biting insects are in abundance too so not a good day for working outside.Made it to 21c earlier in the afternoon not a breath of wind and currently 18c. Sea fog lapping the Firth so as last night will probably wake up to a pea souper. Grass is still very wet too so only weed free crops will cut this afternoon mainly ones that have been sprayed off with roundup..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Evening all

Hope all is well!

How good is this weather!? Last few days a mix of fog, sunshine galore and temperatures between 18 and 21C! Couple of pictures below through the window of morning/afternoon sum it up nicely!

EFA449DF-361F-4D77-BAAF-5DF797E93999.thumb.jpeg.5034fa27c4f56a73edb2b011eca2613a.jpeg27DFC703-A44F-45A2-BF3D-4398A9CDA06D.thumb.jpeg.22c9f02a83dfc1b72ac10855d6d9fcab.jpeg

Looks baltic for September standards later next week! 

UKMO 144:

300467D9-B961-4F32-8341-B580F331CC7B.thumb.gif.d7400049f9d972b54831b21bd5382480.gif9291F908-3F91-4508-9A8B-D4714E41939A.thumb.gif.161bc5ce8b0124fdd9e243b555c247f7.gif

Mountains outlook is fantastic:

Planning Outlook

A band of rain and strengthening wind reaching far NW Scotland on Monday, will swing erratically SE to reach England and Wales on Tuesday - though for many areas the deterioration may be late in the day (perhaps after dark). Several days of frequent rain, intermittently strong winds and lower mountain temperatures will follow as low pressure envelops Britain and then drifts east. By Thursday or Friday, particularly cold for late September, with snow lying on many Scottish summits and perhaps on some higher tops elsewhere.

https://mwis.org.uk

Have a good weekend everyone!

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 9

Posted

As expected was another belter of a afternoon. Looks like pretty similair weather tomorrow (and might just push it into monday) all change though from Tuesday onwards. Quite a shock to the system on the way

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Dropped my daughter off up in Aberdeen today as she is starting a law course having returned from the States because of Covid. Warm and sunny up there this afternoon. I did warn her that she should take advantage of the next couple of days because she might not see temperatures like this again for some time. 
Here wall to wall sunshine too but not all that hot with a shade max of 16.5C.

• Like 7

Posted

Bit of a dull start to the day as complete cloud cover is back. Hopefully it will get better later.

Current temperature 11.4 deg.C with an overnight minimum of 6.8 deg.C at 00:09, humidity is currently 91%, there's no wind, the barometer is at 1026.9 hPa and is pretty static for now and there's been no rain in the last 24 hours.

I'm going to dress the back grass today but that's just the kind of life I lead.

• Like 3