Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted

Very warm humid day with lots of itchy corn lice about my favourite insect . Spraying whins  along side fences today as they seem to have germinated very well in the dry soil conditions over summer.

Geese starting to head south. Autumn tree colours now  are just fabulous probably down to basically very dry soils  over the summer and I think are earlier than usual too.Being  so  warm with an autumnal looking countryside did not seem right today. Currently 14c

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Very warm humid day with lots of itchy corn lice about my favourite insect . Spraying whins  along side fences today as they seem to have germinated very well in the dry soil conditions over summer.

Geese starting to head south. Autumn tree colours now  are just fabulous probably down to basically very dry soils  over the summer and I think are earlier than usual too.Being  so  warm with an autumnal looking countryside did not seem right today. Currently 14c

Quick update now steady rain.Dog has just come in absolutely drenched.

Still a bit to harvest in the area so dryer weather in the coming days will help but lower temperatures will not dry up the grain so well.

• Like 2

Posted

Here's a question for you more knowledgeable folks! Is it possible to get a small scale, very localised, foehn type effect from a not very high set of hills?

Reason I ask is I was cycling up in the Pentlands tonight and took a new descent between 2 hills. The wind I felt in that area was noticeably warmer than any other part of my cycle. It was bizarre!

I'm sure I probably imagined it and I'm 100% certain the answer is no - hills not high enough, synoptics not right etc. but thought I'd ask anyway

Edited by 101_North

Posted

Grey, cool and wet in the morning then a clearance after lunchtime to a mix of sunshine and cloud.

Temperatures rocketing in the afternoon thanks to the sunshine to a max of 20c.  All in all its actually been a remarkably warm period recently. 

Lawn responding, needing to cut it every week at the moment whereas the rest of the summer and the spring it only needed a fortnightly trim.

Long may the weather remain reasonable so the kids can play outside, the Covid situation is making the coming winter a challenging proposition.

Snag_31f4a0a.thumb.png.42f3cd535fbc5a60aa47b4fa697271e7.png

Snag_31f81a5.thumb.png.133f262933ac81f670a7d9f43c92cc6d.png

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Dull start again but dry and a bit chilly.

Temperature currently 12.2 deg.C up from an overnight minimum of 10.8 deg.C at 00:57, 85% relative humidity, barometer at 1028.9 hPa, very light breeze from the southwest-ish and no rain so far since midnight.

Nothing to see here, move along now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Dull, cool and just all round rubbish this morning.. a little drizzle in the air.

Posted

The cold front doing exactly as it says on the tin. Really does feel chilly compared to Monday and yesterday

Posted

Much fresher and cooler today at 12 c Mostly dull however. Still have swallows with about 50 on telephone wire this morning.Good to see they have bred well this year.Geese going over daily so autumn is really here.

• Like 6

Posted

Swallows still around here too, especially by the Tweed. Walked the old railway into Biggar yesterday with that hound called Finn. 21C and dripping sweat it was that humid. Quite the chat with everyone I passed - phwaorr it's a warm one was the theme. 

IMG_20200915_131154.jpg

IMG_20200915_130645.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

I think that's every day this week that has brightened up in the afternoon to give some impression of a half decent day. Cloud not quite 8/8 and thinner than this morning. Now 13.5 deg.C with no wind or rain, 80% r.h. and pressure up to 1032.5 hPa.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cloudy all day here and feeling quite cool. Todays max of 16C was at midnight last night!

• Like 3

Posted

Well that was a chilly one but at least it stayed dry. Had dropped to 12.8 by time I took dogs for their evening walk at 6pm but it was a pleasant enough evening. Spring bulbs have been delivered so hoping for a dry weekend to get them planted and start lifting some of the summer bedding plants that are past their best.

• Like 1

Posted

At last, a bright start to the day. Only 5/8 cloud cover this morning with largely clear sky to my east allowing the sun to shine.

10.2 deg.C now with a minimum overnight of 7.6 deg.C at 03:42, 88% r.h, no wind, pressure 1033.4 hPa, and no rain in the last 24 hours.

This has the makings of a lovely day.

• Like 2

Posted

MUCH better day today. Sun in full flow should be quite a bit warmer than yesterday and the wind's gone too

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Sunshine, a bit of cloud and still the breeze as always. Looks like being a nice day for a trip out.

• Like 2

Posted

Currently 18.4 deg.C and wall to wall sunshine! If it gets to 20 I'll be out the back with a beer in my pants. Which, as Chick Murray would have said, is a strange place to keep your beer.

• Like 4

Posted

Been a LONG time since we had a afternoon as glorious as this. It's beautiful out there. Easily should be like this for a few days

• Like 3

Posted

Well that was very pleasant but the sun is sinking behind the trees now so time to come back in. Still, I put my time to good use out there and built a fire pit, which it turns out is of Russian manufacture and the stuff that they call paint has all transferred from the metalwork to my hands and clothes. No wonder they didn't bother to paint their T34s before they left the factory.

• Like 4