Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

A dull start to this morning and there's a large puddle at the bottom of the garden after the 28mm of rain that fell over night.

Dry, ground damp, 16.4 deg.C, very light breeze, total cloud cover.

• Like 3

Posted

The rain's stopped but that breeze has really got up cor. Does feel a bit warmer that one saving grace I suppose

• Like 3

Posted

Rain finally arrived  overnight but stopped by 6.00am now overcast warmer at 16c with occasional spells of drizzle.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Rain overnight, drier morning with a few sunny spells. Cloud has increased in the last few minutes and the wind is starting to pick up.

• Like 4

Posted

@snowidea Coincidentally I’m also thinking about getting a dog but the more research I do the more indecisive I become!  Springer is near the top of the list. I do a fair bit of walking so a good fit in that sense. Nice to see @Northernlights recommendation!

Weatherwise it never cleared up today as forecast but despite the cloudy skies it’s currently 20c. Fair old wind from the SW.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

An unusual sort of day, starting damp from the overnight rain, but even at 10am the heat was noticeable when you stepped outside. There was variable amounts of cloud, even some spots of rain during the day, but it hit a max of 20.0C here and is currently still 16.6C.

With a bit of a breeze it was a great drying day for the washing. By the time you'd hung up the last item you could virtually start taking back in the first item you hung up. OK, maybe not quite that, but we got 4 loads washed, out, dried and back in between 9am and 7pm.

The next couple of days up here look similarly dry, cloudy and warm. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Thanks all, your dogs are all gorgeous. Springers are on our possible list though we're veering towards border terriers (Mr Snowidea likes the fact they can walk for miles but aren't so big you couldn't pick them up and carry them if you needed to). I'll keep you posted. 

Definitely Autumnal today, the decking is gathering fallen leaves and there's that Autumn smell in the air. 

• Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, snowidea said:

Springers are on our possible list though we're veering towards border terriers (Mr Snowidea likes the fact they can walk for miles but aren't so big you couldn't pick them up and carry them if you needed to).

We had a couple of Border Terriers (last past away a couple of years ago at 15 years old).

Great pets and a big contrast to the gundogs (Setters) we had previous to them.  The ability to pick them up is really needed as they are a feisty breed so for their own sake you need to grab them out of trouble at times!  Incredible stamina but you do need to train them well in recall - they are natural hunters and if they see a rabbit for example a poorly trained Border will be off and you will never see them again until the deed is done.  Same for most terriers actually.  If you do get one, invest in a good stripping knife as you will need to strip their coats twice a year - not a onerous job once you get the hang of it.  Oh and they love food, so make sure you hide their food well otherwise they will gooble the lot (always remember one time the two of them found the bag of complete dog food unguarded - we came back to find them with massively swollen stomachs as they ate over 0.5kg each, cue vet trip...).  

Used to be a very healthy breed but like virtually all purebred dogs these days, once they started getting popular in the early 2000's the less ethical breeders start appearing.  Hence emergence of some nasty health problems - the good breeders have been proactive though in highlighting the risks of poor breeding and there is even a dedicated group working to improve the breeds health - BorderTerrierHealth.  As long as you go to a well known and established breeder you should be fine.

Getting back to the weather, warm and humid with just glimpses of sunshine and spits and spots of rain all day.  A max of 21c at this time of year is not to be sniffed at!

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A beautiful night here.. not a cloud in the sky so took young Miss Snaw out to do some star gazing. Saw 2 shooting stars so made a wish on each. Took some photos was wondering what the bright orange thing is in picture 3.

20200913_221340.jpg

20200913_221306.jpg

20200913_221356.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
On 12/09/2020 at 20:02, snowidea said:

Totally not weather related but how many of you have dogs, how did you decide on breed and where did you get them? 

Now the kids are both in secondary school we're considering getting a dog, not rushing into anything, just doing some research at the moment. We have two cats so it'll need to be cat compatible and we're thinking of a medium sized dog (not huge but definitely not a handbag dog).

We like to walk so energetic dogs no problem. Anyone have any advice? 

Weather turning Autumnal now, leaves changing and the geese are flying south. 

I have two mini schnauzers (well three if you count the grandpup who lives with my daughter). I researched the breed on the Kennel Club website, there’s a helpful breed selector hing there which helps you narrow down breeds suitable for your circumstances. I knew I needed a non-shedding breed and wasn’t interested in a designer crossbreed, but one where I knew all the relevant health tests had been done.

in weather news, it’s been a breezy but warming day and a decent weekend overall. Kids (both over 20 but still my kids), dogs and I walked through the Crathes estate yesterday and I think Autumn has to be my favourite season for walking, it was a beautiful afternoon for it. Even warm enough for there to be a game of croquet being played on the Castle’s lawn but shadows growing much longer by the day.

A2D85229-8394-4396-BF48-0777C3030E42.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A brighter start to this morning following a decent day yesterday. Was speaking on the phone to younger daughter yesterday who was in Plockton in the pouring rain en-route from Kyle of Lochalsh to Arisaig, but due to flooding at Invergarry was being diverted 150-odd miles via Newtonmore. Didn't mention that in Alloway, where I was having lunch, the skies were clearing, the sun was shining and kids were out in t-shirts and shorts.

Now dry, ground dry, 14.9 deg.C, very light breeze, total cloud cover.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Tomorrow’s storm risk looking tricky as always but main agreement at the minute looks like toward Inverness, perhaps @Northernlights seeing something but with that front really anywhere in Scotland will be at risk which the euro4 is the most active. B757A717-A27A-4B21-9D46-3037D690DEB9.thumb.png.d94458b70f72e95093f3e6b04a748eb9.pngC71289C4-02AC-462D-A1D2-C8F98834B4E4.thumb.png.6d95fbae0a50f4f71685bef86eaf1221.png AD65D6D1-6571-4BE7-865F-A97EA03E1633.thumb.png.705a1308c7e36390d4106f12dc09b2e5.png

• Like 5

Posted

Brightening up nicely with some blue sky around, thin high cloud to the north and east and patches of thicker cloud to the south and west. Pressure had been rising for the last few days but now settled at 1021hPa. Temperature a decent enough 19.9 deg.C, which is the maximum for the day so far. No wind to speak of.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Was dull and horrible here until late on into the day. Now weather station out the back is reading 21C but it's still pretty cloudy.

• Like 3

Posted

Lovely evening here and an all around decent day. Tomorrow looks wet but then a good few dry days to come if a little cooler.

20200914_182302.jpg

20200914_182306.jpg

20200914_182309.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Dull most of the day but humid and warm - max of 21c again.

Winds light to moderate, midges out with a vengeance this evening

• Like 2

Posted

I've noticed since installing my weather station that, due to my garden being screened to the east and west by my house and a large wood, the wind direction recorder is only really of any use for telling me whether the wind is generally from the north or south. Today it's generally from the north. But hardly there at all.

Meanwhile it's raining, 1.8mm since it started at 08:00, the temperature is 14.3 deg.C with a minimum of 14.1 deg.C overnight, there's total cloud cover and 94% relative humidity.

• Like 3

Posted

A warm but cloudy day. The warmth will be gone by tomorrow. Might take a while to get brighter but it should

• Like 2

Posted

Another day where it's brightened up from a poor start. Still almost complete cloud cover but sun is momentarily shining through a small chink in its armour, temperature has risen to 20.8 deg.C, down slightly from today's max so far of 21.3 deg.C at 15:09, rain didn't last long this morning with only 2mm falling, no wind to speak of and the barometer sits at 1020.9 hPa, which is pretty consistent with this time yesterday.

• Like 2

Posted

The rain has stopped here, still mostly cloudy, despite the lack of sunshine it has turned out very warm again could even go as far as to say its muggy out.

• Like 2

Posted

Been over in the Mad house. and there is charts with Snaw on them being peddled out. mon the Snaw.

• Like 1

Posted

Apparently polar maritime air is no good for the UK... me thinks some folk need to move.

• Like 3