Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Dreich start to the day, verging on gey dreich. I've still got the lights on, and the heating.

Light rain, 15.1 deg.C, moderate breeze, total cloud cover.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
36 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Very windy start to the day at 14c.Occasional bursts of rain too but out west looks much worse. Glad the barley harvest is over as heads would be landing on the ground today

Is that heads of barley NL, or you getting miffed at the tractor drivers?

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, mardatha said:

Is that heads of barley NL, or you getting miffed at the tractor drivers?

Barley heads!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

My new weather station arrived at 2pm and following a dash to B&Q in the middle of a squall to get some clips to strap the external unit to a clothes pole, I read the instructions, put it all together and installed the various bits. Obviously, at the moment I switched it on, the wind dropped to zero and the rain went off so it's not showing nuffing now. Hey ho.1315045313_DavisVantageVueConsole.thumb.jpg.bf6b9f41bb600dad448380027e30f97c.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Also it Friday night so what's everybody upto?? Me im suffering from a heavy cold so just drinking a few of these this evening 

20200911_170732.jpg

20200910_214811.jpg

20200911_194420.jpg

20200911_194431.jpg

20200911_194445.jpg

20200911_204000.jpg

Edited by Mair Snaw
  • Like 9

Posted
2 hours ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

My new weather station arrived at 2pm and following a dash to B&Q in the middle of a squall to get some clips to strap the external unit to a clothes pole, I read the instructions, put it all together and installed the various bits. Obviously, at the moment I switched it on, the wind dropped to zero and the rain went off so it's not showing nuffing now. Hey ho.1315045313_DavisVantageVueConsole.thumb.jpg.bf6b9f41bb600dad448380027e30f97c.jpg

inside 25c... you need to turn off the heating and open some windows..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I don't drink any more but that Dark Island is a gorgeous beer, I have filtered many of them through the old kidneys and liver.

Used to be one of my favourites but I've found as I've aged I prefer a lighter, fruitier beer. Normal tipple these days though is brandy & lemonade, so I've probably officially become 'old'. 

A day of two half here weather wise. Cool and cloudy in the morning but much brighter and warmer in the afternoon. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
2 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

Also it Friday night so what's everybody upto?? Me im suffering from a heavy cold so just drinking a few of these this evening 

20200911_170732.jpg

20200910_214811.jpg

20200911_194420.jpg

20200911_194431.jpg

20200911_194445.jpg

20200911_204000.jpg

Heavy cold for me too. Still managed a bottle of Sauvignon and then a mug of hot honey and lemon with a tot of whisky before bed to clear the airwaves. 
A wet morning here before a bright and breezy afternoon. Max of 16.2C in the sun this afternoon.

• Like 3

Posted

@CatchMyDrift definitely not the coronavirus that has already been and gone asymptomatic so i was lucky I guess.This cold is worse so far, maybe it's man flu. Mrs snaw has no sympathy at all..

Oh yes this is a weather forum. So i guess I best talk about that. 

Its a beautiful morning here, clear skies  a slight breeze and sunshine is this the mega heatwave they have been going on about in the mad house?? I bet it rains later

Have a great weekend all im away for a lemsip and maybe something added  

• Like 3

Posted

@CatchMyDrift I was very lucky, 3 kids had 2 or 3 days of fever and a cough one of them had headache and total loss of taste etc..  mrs snaw was in bed for a week very unwell. She was very lucky considering her long list of health problems..

And in weather news that burning glowing ball in the sky continues to shine in the sky. Wind has picked up a bit in the last hour or so..

Posted

Guess who has the heaviest shower in scotland rolling through at the moment ;) it's not very inspiring at all

• Like 2

Posted

Very autumnal today with a  strong wind and one sharp shower.Now clouding over from the west and 12c.Still combines going but getting higher up the hill where crops are later. Making it feel even more autumnal is me cutting the old beech hedge. Always leave it  till a cooler /windy day as its the itchiest job on earth and you want as much debris as possible blowing away from you. Just the top to do which young Mr Northernlights can help me  with another day

• Like 3

Posted

Well the rain has just about reached here but seems to fade out as it reaches us  and it has done this several times in the last hour.The mountains to the west are stealing a lot of it. The rain shadow effect in full operation.

I am sure it will get here eventually but at least its giving the farm where young Mr Northernlights is working today carting grain a chance to finish harvest.    Its the contractors final field of combining this harvest so I hope it holds off long enough for them to finish. Super dry grain after such a windy day.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Well the rain has just about reached here but seems to fade out as it reaches us  and it has done this several times in the last hour.The mountains to the west are stealing a lot of it. The rain shadow effect in full operation.

I am sure it will get here eventually but at least its giving the farm where young Mr Northernlights is working today carting grain a chance to finish harvest.    Its the contractors final field of combining this harvest so I hope it holds off long enough for them to finish. Super dry grain after such a windy day.

Still dry, quite interesting looking at the radar as rain  dissolves just about over us.Can hear the hum of combines brought to us on the fresh west wind.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Totally not weather related but how many of you have dogs, how did you decide on breed and where did you get them? 

Now the kids are both in secondary school we're considering getting a dog, not rushing into anything, just doing some research at the moment. We have two cats so it'll need to be cat compatible and we're thinking of a medium sized dog (not huge but definitely not a handbag dog).

We like to walk so energetic dogs no problem. Anyone have any advice? 

Weather turning Autumnal now, leaves changing and the geese are flying south. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Still dry, quite interesting looking at the radar as rain  dissolves just about over us.Can hear the hum of combines brought to us on the fresh west wind.

We like to walk so energetic dogs no problem. Anyone have any advice? 

It has looked as if heavy rain was close for much of the day here but it has only recently started raining. Max of 16.1C and breezy.
@snowidea

Our last dog was a Cocker Spaniel and we found that it was both good with the cat and also needed a good walking mileage. Ours wasn't keen on heavy rain so we could get away without getting drenched if it was pouring too!

Edited by Norrance
  • Thanks 1

Posted

@snowideaWe have a springer spaniel the fourth  one I have had after three previous cocker spaniels. They never fail to greet you with great exuberence and are always happy. Need lots of walks and in the the words of an old vet only calm down at about ten years of age but if you want a very bright happy dog they are the best.

Snow photo is from the Beast from the East in 2018 when we just had a little snow but she just loves the snow20180302_153248.thumb.jpg.0f7bf7e2795d6a1afc25fc9599bb0ac4.jpg and water as well at the beach065.thumb.JPG.c865e907741fb3641d5b6eafad8cd10c.JPG

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

We have friends with cockers/springers and they are indeed mad (as is the one belonging to our neighbour, about 1/2 mile away, who occasionally pays a visit). I fancied a springer this time, after our last dog died a couple of years previously, but I was overruled. 

We've ended up with a Fox Red Lab, Rua. Our last dog was a Black Lab, the one before an Alsation cross. Rua is 7mths old, 20kg, and we don't think she'll get much bigger/heavier. She's substantially smaller than our previous Lab, who was around 35kg and a big daft softie, so it shows that even within a breed there can be quite a difference. Both our previous dogs would easily out walk most fit people, at least until the they got to thier old ages.

On a recent weekend away, on a 4hr walk Rua probably covered twice the distance we did but when put on the lead again near the end she still had the energy to pull. In fact, the black lab, Saffy, I used to take up the Munros, including at least one occasion where I cycled in and back part of the way, with her running beside me. I think most med-large sized dogs will out last all but the fittest of humans. 

Decent day here weather wise. A bit breezy, not overly warm, but dry and sunny. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

16c since 2am and currently 17c. Should be a pleasant morning if it wasn't for that wretched gale that seems to be a permanent fixture these days! Should be a useable day though so looking forward to a decent walk up the Pentlands at some point.

• Like 2