Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

@Northernlights I can confirm that it is very stormy here now. Wet and wild.

We have 24 sky lights in this house and I think i can hear the rain hitting all of them at the same time. 

Edited by Mair Snaw
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

@QuinachMy 13yr old son came through and said what a weird coloured sky it was, he'd never seen it like that before. Can't say we noticed unfortunately as we were busy extracting honey. Total so far, from Mon and tonight is around 60lbs, and there's one hive we've still to take the honey off, so hopefully add another 15lbs or so.

Most hives (6 out of 7) now set up for winter after a very busy afternoon on Sunday. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

I think we saw what you had to the east with very stormy looking sky at sunset around 8.00pm. 20200902_200539.thumb.jpg.79378c8aa4af547bc8527b0a6ad31e20.jpg

Lovely mammatus cloud pic

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Some time in the middle of the night it came on again. I woke up to the noise and thought what the hell is that cat doing - it was rain hitting the windows really hard .

• Like 3

Posted

Wow what a difference this morning. Stunning blue skies a slight breeze and feels warmer. A good day for getting out and doing stuff.

• Like 2

Posted

that amazing orange globe called the sun amazingly has reappeared after a miserable start

• Like 4

Posted

A very pleasant day so on getting home I decided to cut the grass.... and it rained as I was half way through. I completed it, but got wet doing so. 

• Like 3

Posted
22 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

Absolutely lashing it down. That wasn't in the forecast  

Don't know about where you are, but the sky was a really funny colour here last night...if it had been winter, I'd have said it was a snow laden sky.

• Like 1

Posted

@Sanserit I had blinds down before sun set as was being a grumpy old git (so mrs Snaw says). I just heard the rain lashing down onto the skylights.. but I've seen photo's of it and yes in winter that would have been Snaw sky..

• Like 1

Posted

Bar the gusty wind that blighted the afternoon, cracking day.

Max of 18c and plenty of sunshine (especially in the morning).

Looked like a few showers passed towards our south but dry here.

The resident House Martins have been very agitated and restless the last couple of days, usually a prelude to them starting to head away for the winter.

• Like 5

Posted

Great evening out in the local park with our youth group. Wee bit chilly once the sun set but the sky made up for it.

B2D37A0A-C9C4-44BD-B085-BFC24535AA54.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted

Another beautiful morning here this morning only fly in the ointment is that pesky breeze.

In other news, we have been talking over the last few months about introducing a new member to our family and jeez the price of a puppy wow whats happened here? Last time I looked labrador pups were £600 to £1000. Now £2000 to £3000.. ouch.

Posted
3 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

Last time I looked labrador pups were £600 to £1000. Now £2000 to £3000.. ouch

That's nuts, Rua cost us £950 in March. I'm assuming Covid has stopped a lot of owners/breeders breeding. 

• Like 1

Posted

@Ravelin apparently not. never seen so many adverts for pup's before. It would seem that folk are bored and need something to pass the days away.  And breeders are more than happy to charge. A friend had a puppy deposit paid start of March fir normal prices and then the week before collection was told the price is now double due to demand being so high. Its not just labs its across the board. And most of them are not KC registered either. Breads that would normally be £300-£400 are upwards of £1000. I can see a mass of pups and dogs needing new homes once folk are back to work full-time..

Anyways in weather news, we've had a few showers here today. Sunny intervals and various amounts of cloud. All in all not a bad day.

Edited by Mair Snaw

Posted
2 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

I can see a mass of pups and dogs needing new homes once folk are back to work full-time..

Wait and you might pick one up on the cheap then, lol. As an extra bonus it should also be toilet trained and perhaps even through the "chew everything in sight" stage. 

I thought £950 was pushing the limit, £2k+ is taking the wee wee. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

Another beautiful morning here this morning only fly in the ointment is that pesky breeze.

In other news, we have been talking over the last few months about introducing a new member to our family and jeez the price of a puppy wow whats happened here? Last time I looked labrador pups were £600 to £1000. Now £2000 to £3000.. ouch.

That's the covid effect. Check out Champdogs.co.uk or the KC Assured Breeder list and steer well clear of scumtree, Pets4Homes etc. A responsible breeder producing pups from health-tested parents won't rip you off and prices shouldn't be higher that £1000-£1500.

• Like 2

Posted

@Ravelin and @Sanserit we have today had contact from a wonderful breeder in Banchory who has over 25 years of experience breeding labradors. She has a litter due in 3 weeks and we have been placed top of her list due to our reasons for wanting a pup. All pups will be KC registered and health checked. With parents elbow and hip scored etc. Very excited and within the £1000 to £1500 price range.

Also to keep it weather related.. very breezy this evening with the odd sharp shower around. Looking at the trees they are definitely starting to change colours and the nights are closing in at what seems a rather quick rate.

Edited by Mair Snaw
  • Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Wait and you might pick one up on the cheap then, lol. As an extra bonus it should also be toilet trained and perhaps even through the "chew everything in sight" stage. 

I thought £950 was pushing the limit, £2k+ is taking the wee wee. 

We have friends in the central belt who work closely with animal rescue and they are already planning for a massive intake of animals towards the end of the year once the furlough scheme ends and unemployment rockets. 

They are also expecting prices to drop drastically as they expect a glut of puppies shortly - a lot of chancers breeding for the first time having seen the potential profit of £10k per litter (based on current prices).  

In their view there are very few ethical breeders left, with even the best also hiking up prices this year.  Have to agree with their opinion that the puppy value should be just a few pounds over the cost of rearing them so generally a overall cost per puppy in the low hundreds only.  Anything more and the breeder is only interested in the tax free profit rather than the animal.  All very depressing and reflects badly on humans.

Getting back to the weather, mix of sunshine and cloud with the latter dominant, especially in the afternoon.

Pleasant max temperature of 15.8c in the light to moderate winds.

• Like 3

Posted

Another cool breezy showery day yesterday but an ideal one for stacking small bales of straw in shed.  20200904_184432.thumb.jpg.c1e7b818db6827fc2a1b7800b4d8ca7d.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Sunny, breezy, cloudy and the odd spot of rain in the air. Have a good weekend all.

• Like 1

Posted

Cool but bright at 13c with fresh west wind and occasional spits of rain in the wind.Dry enough to get last field of young grass straw baled as wind dries any spots of rain very quickly. Young Mr Northernlights 20200905_143952.thumb.jpg.8471c15e4305e3ad830e87e270e82679.jpg   following the baler taking in bales off the young grass giving it a chance to grow a bit in September.Temperature  just now on summit of Cairngorm just above freezing.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Posted

A very nice day here all round. Had a few heavy showers but nothing of any real note. I like Autumn for its colours and its variety of weather types normally a bit of everything from sun to storms and sometimes a bit of the magic white stuff.

Off for a drink at the neighbours as they are in our Bubble. Could get messy.

• Like 2