Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Just a quick one. Does anybody else on here have a winter stock cupboard for when the snaw hits and the shop shelves are raided? I've just started on mine but wondering what others may stock up on?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I've always got a good stash in, living deep in the outback you never know when you might get stuck in the house. I'm also a bit of a prepper     Candles, matches, tin openers, Kelly Kettle, alternative methods of heating & cooking, bottled water, dried foods in case the power goes off and the freezer is useless.  (Our longest power cut was almost 6 days).

Get multi purpose foods like porridge oats - they will make breakfast, oatcakes, flapjacks, and thicken soups. Dried fruit for cakes and puddings. Lentils for soups. Tins of carrots and potatoes - dead cheap, and make good soup. Bread mix or flour and yeast.

I could go on andonandon. lol

• Like 5

Posted

@mardatha I've got oats by the barrel load. Tins of veg, beans and soup. Tinned corned beef and spam. Pasta, rice, noodles and packet mixes galore. I've got flour and bread mixes. Cake mixes. Bottled water and powdered milk. I also have a list for extras that I'm shopping for tomorrow. Also got a camping stove for emergency cooking.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
54 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

@mardatha I've got oats by the barrel load. Tins of veg, beans and soup. Tinned corned beef and spam. Pasta, rice, noodles and packet mixes galore. I've got flour and bread mixes. Cake mixes. Bottled water and powdered milk. I also have a list for extras that I'm shopping for tomorrow. Also got a camping stove for emergency cooking.

And, from a rather more 'elderly' perspective, you could always have each of each of those things on its own... as long as it's with Spam!:oldlaugh:

• Like 6

Posted

I've got food in the kitchen food in the back bedroom and food in the airing cupboard. Menu plans for using aforesaid food. Brexit, the virus, and winter added together don't fill me with confidence. I'm in prepping forums and the guys in there get excited by solar power, water filters and gennies, if you wanted a good forum PM me.

• Like 2

Posted

@mardatha we have a weekly menu. We'll 4 of them. One then change etc.. I've also just realised i have a bbq in the outhouse for emergency cooking .

Also Happy Friday to everybody on here..

20200821_163057.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Well the sun has come out and the wind has died down. A rather pleasant evening now.

Had a lovely meal. All cooked from scratch by myself... lucky Mrs Snaw..

20200821_181422.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
5 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

5 hours ago, mardatha said:

I've always got a good stash in, living deep in the outback you never know when you might get stuck in the house. I'm also a bit of a prepper     Candles, matches, tin openers, Kelly Kettle, alternative methods of heating & cooking, bottled water, dried foods in case the power goes off and the freezer is useless.  (Our longest power cut was almost 6 days).

Get multi purpose foods like porridge oats - they will make breakfast, oatcakes, flapjacks, and thicken soups. Dried fruit for cakes and puddings. Lentils for soups. Tins of carrots and potatoes - dead cheap, and make good soup. Bread mix or flour and yeast.

I could go on andonandon. lol

As a former brownie and guide guider, (whose organisation's motto is 'be prepared') and who lives on Deeside, notorious for it's snow, I am never prepared for winter with the exception of salt for the path and a snow shovel in the boot. Tesco is 150m down the road, Morrisons is 150m up the road and the Co-op is 150m behind the house so no need to panic unless it's for pandemic shopping in which case I'm still struggling to get flour 6 months on!

• Like 4

Posted
25 minutes ago, Sanserit said:

As a former brownie and guide guider, (whose organisation's motto is 'be prepared') and who lives on Deeside, notorious for it's snow, I am never prepared for winter with the exception of salt for the path and a snow shovel in the boot. Tesco is 150m down the road, Morrisons is 150m up the road and the Co-op is 150m behind the house so no need to panic unless it's for pandemic shopping in which case I'm still struggling to get flour 6 months on!

Flour is in plentiful supply in most shops im going in currently.. it was definitely a bit crazy for a few weeks end if March and into April.. what part of deeside are you in? Looked at a house in Ballater last year but couldn't make it work 

Posted

A right old showery day, with some torrential downpours in the early afternoon.

Nice cloudscapes though made up for the sogginess.

Remarkably low diurnal range - low of 13.8c, max of 16.2c.

Moderate wind during the day, now calm.

image.thumb.png.87646f952953329f441a8539c7b11d1d.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A real mixed bag in Inverurie today. A bit of warm sun but also a few pretty heavy showers. 

After work the wife and I managed to sneak away for the weekend in Braemar, just the two of us and the dog. We reckon it's the first time in over 10yrs that we've managed a break away without any of the 3 kids. 

The dog seems to be enjoying it... 

IMG_20200821_193635.thumb.jpg.c09484f95ecb6f7e5137ea1dd1de724d.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
3 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

Flour is in plentiful supply in most shops im going in currently.. it was definitely a bit crazy for a few weeks end if March and into April.. what part of deeside are you in? Looked at a house in Ballater last year but couldn't make it work 

I'm in Banchory, been here for 30 years now and can't imagine living anywhere else.

I think there are just too many home bakers in this neck of the woods 

• Like 3

Posted

This is my stock so far.. i add a few bits each time I go to the shops 

20200822_131339.jpg

20200822_131347.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Off to the Solway coast for a few days at my daughter's pals caravan. View is from the caravan just as the rain is clearing. 

9A92C9D2-BE2F-40CE-B13A-38AF1498EDAF.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
2 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Well it's been a dull day in Braemar but only occasional spits of rain and not feeling too cool despite a brisk wind at times. We went for a walk from Linn of Dee, along the minor road, up Glen Quioch, across to Glen Lui, then back to Linn of Dee. As usual photos probably don't do it justice, especially in the overcast light, but I can't remember seeing the Heather so purple and extensive for years, perhaps ever. 

IMG_20200822_120611.thumb.jpg.4435aacd8225344138b729582c925439.jpg IMG_20200822_143625.thumb.jpg.fdc9d2096efbfc78474e756469ea5e25.jpg

A consequence of a warm sunny spring but a cool, wet summer? Either way, it's stunning. 

I've seen loads of posts on Facebook where people are saying the Heather's very vibrant this year. I would agree, this taken on the trails behind the house. 

DSC_1800.JPG

• Like 5

Posted

Not seen a single wasp this year up here. Yet. But my buddleia is just out now and my Love in a Mist as well. Very late.

AFLOWERS (2).jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Another very dull day with bits of drizzle, very frustrating harvest weather.Hope the higher pressure forcast for next weekend materialises.Much fresher too at 14c maximum today

.Finally caught up with the 21st century when I replaced my fifteen year old basic mobile phone yesterday with a basic smartphone.Watching Phil Collins on a screen with amazing quality.No wonder people get obsessed with them.

• Like 6

Posted

Another grey day though the sun did manage to make a few fleeting appearances in the morning.

Bar a heavy shower in the early evening, dry with light winds.

Big difference in the feel of the day, felt chilly out of the sun and a max of just 13.9c.

Lovely flock of c.20 long-tailed tits descended on the garden in the afternoon, wonderfully noisy and when you get to see them up close, really rather adorably cute.

• Like 4

Posted

Write off of a weekend here due to trapped nerve/muscle spasm in my lower back but I did manage a short walk with the dogs this afternoon, primarily to pick up more pain relief. However it was a pleasant afternoon reaching a high of 20c but temperature dropped like a stone late afternoon and patio doors were firmly closed. Suspect I may need to put heating on tomorrow which doesn’t fill me with much cheer, it’s still summer for goodness sake!

• Like 2