Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted

I might be down in Ayrshire, a good 70 miles from Edinburgh, but around 2am last night I popped my head out and could see constant flashing lighting up the sky all around me. I thought, are we due something? So I checked the lightning maps etc. Nowhere near me! Never in my life have I seen lightning flashes from that far away, at least from here. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Crazy storms seen in the last couple days, great photos and vids on here.

The last very very warm day, max of 29c (at my unofficial temp gauge) and humidity making that feel intense. Was not comfortable to wear uniform for work in.

Tomorrow more like the low 20s, perhaps mid 20s at work in the far SW. The sun is certainly lower in the sky these days 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, rossco89 said:

I might be down in Ayrshire, a good 70 miles from Edinburgh, but around 2am last night I popped my head out and could see constant flashing lighting up the sky all around me. I thought, are we due something? So I checked the lightning maps etc. Nowhere near me! Never in my life have I seen lightning flashes from that far away, at least from here. 

Same here in East Kilbride, i thought you couldnt see lightening from that far, Certainly no thunder could be heard even from Motherwell , Cumbernauld or Airdrie. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic

Had some time to mull over last nights storm. I'm in a good position to compare it to the experiences I had in Beaumont just a year ago and I'm convinced last nights storm wiped the floor with anything I experienced there. Here's why....whilst in Beaumont I was lucky(unlucky ) to experience being in the red warning zone for a Tornado and witnessed some incredible intensity of winds, hail, rain and thunder as well as explosive lightning, however, it was always short lived. Although the intensity  of each parameter was probably higher in Texas, the sensations experienced faded too quickly leaving you somewhat thrilled but ready for more. Last night, although the intensity of each parameter as mentioned, may not have been as explosive, it was the longevity and frequency of each that left you kinda pulverised by the end of it unbelievable scenes if I'm being honest, never thought in a month of Sundays I would be saying a storm in Scottish summertime, in Fife, would beat a red tornado warning zone storm in Texas but there you go! ?️⚠️??????? 

On a side note I managed to get to sleep at around 1am only to be woken at 3am on an emergency call from work, power loss from a lightning strike took the place down, when I arrived the plant was completely flooded, I'm talking under a foot of water everywhere. By the time I left tonight at 7pm the water was gone.... Talk about extremes! 

RIP to the lives lost today in the rail accident, need to get learning from the incident to make sure this never happens again

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Stuck in work tonight @Mr Frost so no chance 

Very sad news about the rail accident

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Even with a high of 'only' 24C in Inverurie today the sun just seemed to bore into you when outside. It felt incredibly hot, possibly because it also still felt quite humid. 

Glad there's no more storms forecast for tonight, I need some sleep. 

• Like 3

Posted

Lovely afternoon in West Lothian, very warm in the sun then off to South Queensferry as I’ve never been before, followed by a beautiful sunset this evening. What a difference a day makes.

9C0C31CB-ACF9-4CDF-A9C7-A86431A10842.jpeg

70D5F33F-6DBF-4EDC-9AC8-088DD4575C61.jpeg

19C6FAB9-82C5-4B2F-B8D6-EDF19247ABAE.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted

Just been outside and the place is being lit up again. Here was me thinking, must be due something this time, surely. Nope. It's lightning from cells over the Isle of Man and the north of Wales... 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

The total rainfall from the storms here was 94.74mm which is ridiculous the August average here is 60.9mm and my current monthly total is 143.51mm thankfully a nice bit of drier weather now, the wrf nmm EU currently shows the next rain here on the 17th possibly thundery but that's a long way off so most likely will change. A bridge at the local golf course got washed away and I know one of the local restaurants suffered significant roof damage. 

• Like 2

Posted

Sun's not managed to break through here (still warm) but a gradual cooling trend thankfully on the way (got to admit looking forward to some sort of quite fresh weather next week)

• Like 1

Posted

Here's a screenshot of the Lightning I tried to film on Tuesday night. It's a shame it didn't stay clear for long as it was quite a light show in the east - though I'm glad the storm was not overhead! Yesterday turned out to be a very warm and humid day with a hazy end of summer feel. Last night was largely clear though I was able to see distant flashes to the south - presumably from the storms near the aisle of Man. Cooler and cloudier today. 

image.thumb.jpeg.414b7ec17061ea71674d0f2f97059039.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Cloudy and cool with a fresh breeze here today. 

Mrs Snaw is looking at holiday lets for the tattie holidays. Anybody in here know of any good places? Got to be walking distance to a local pub and village.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sunny and warm here all day until a couple of hours ago when a shift in the wind brought cloud in from the North Sea. Temps dropped from 22C to 16C. Looks like this is what we are going to get for the next few days here inthe East

• Like 3

Posted

Had a good spell of sun for a few hours this afternoon but the cloud's crept in again

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
40 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Cobbled together some footage from Tuesday night. We're fortunate I think, being up so high, that we got to see pretty much every flash going!

Like a true pro.....I didn't have a fully charged battery  So had to break off a few times to charge it for 10 mins or so but otherwise it's all in real time. I'll never forget it!

Brilliant. I believe the area with the highest number of strikes in Scotland that night was around Scotlandwell so pretty close to you.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
20 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Brilliant. I believe the area with the highest number of strikes in Scotland that night was around Scotlandwell so pretty close to you.

Ah that’s interesting. We only had a handful where the bang came within a second or two but there plenty of flashes originating from somewhere off to the right (west).

• Like 4

Posted

After the stunning weather day yesterday, all back to reality today.

Overcast if not downright murky at times with a few brave attempts at sunshine in the late afternoon.

Very small diurnal range over the last 24 hours - min of 14c, max of 17c!

After having no birds at the feeders the last few days, this morning they were swamped by sparrows (20+ which is unusual for here).

• Like 3

Posted

Overcast and hazy in West Lothian this morning but by the time we got to Callander around lunchtime, it was a fairly decent day. Sadly, lost the clear skies by the time we arrived in Stirling mid-afternoon but it was bright enough. I enjoyed being able to wander around without the excessive heat of yesterday and the dogs, even more so.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Cloudy here today. Cool with a slight breeze. Looking at the bbc online it would seem that temperatures are going to be in the mid teens as we head toward the end of summer. Is that it? Summers over? When do we start looking at sea ice and QBO, MJO and all that other stuff?? 

• Like 1

Posted

Took a while but low cloud has cleared another stonking afternoon still quite warm too 

• Like 1

Posted

Cool, cloudy and grey, 16c for most of the day. Very unsummery. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

17th still looking like the next lot of rain  possibly thundery, a trough and a brisk NE wind .. the kind of setup I would prefer in winter  5AE5E9C2-9D58-49A7-A664-62FEE72402A3.thumb.png.2c51c0ac82cd2f7f442a076acc50292f.pngAD2859A5-8436-450E-A334-7FBFA6CBDADF.thumb.png.481715dc19db5dad0a7480f592234bb9.png73C81D9F-710A-429F-A1A9-10C7D44523EB.thumb.gif.d2a324df31cb73ad0ca9a425d67a1659.gif993C6F08-A186-4193-8322-217CFE3AE7C9.thumb.png.47183b8916cb284aa7ad966dd8741b8a.png

• Like 3