Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Wondered what the noise was this morning, thought a tractor but apparently it's the Cooncil pumping water away. Down between us and the A7 is flooded.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

How you've stolen all our storms, in recent years, guys!:oldlaugh:

Throughout my 21-year stay in the Highlands, I could have counted the storms on the fingers of one hand...How things have changed... Scotland, the storm capital of the UK? Who'd a'thunk it!:yahoo:

• Like 4

Posted

Well that was fun. Six hours of it. And as others have said, that rain.... Minimum of 15.3C is quite something for here too. Got lots of video but the video compressor is on the other machine right now so will eventually post something. It was the constant rumble that got me as so unusual. And with strikes every 2 or 3 secs of course!

Looking a the overnight radar it's almost as though my house was the thunderstorm factory from which most of the cells spawned over the western Borders/South Lanarks. Very weird - shall have a late BBQ more often!!

A ten year event?

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
10 minutes ago, howham said:

Sounds like a train may have derailed south of Stonehaven.

Yes pics on news now. Lots of smoke but train in a dip behind trees so no real clue what has happened. Wonder what us burning? Lots of emergency vehicles there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
17 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Well that was fun. Six hours of it. And as others have said, that rain.... Minimum of 15.3C is quite something for here too. Got lots of video but the video compressor is on the other machine right now so will eventually post something. It was the constant rumble that got me as so unusual. And with strikes every 2 or 3 secs of course!

Looking a the overnight radar it's almost as though my house was the thunderstorm factory from which most of the cells spawned over the western Borders/South Lanarks. Very weird - shall have a late BBQ more often!!

A ten year event?

I didn't think 1st July 2015 would be rivalled but that's nothing in comparison to last night which is mental, easily the worst storms I have ever seen and many other folk saying the same possibly the worst storm Kirkcaldy has ever seen, I certainly can't see how that can be beaten potentially ever ?‍♂️

Something crazy going on with the firth of forth tho definitely intensifies the storms must be similar to the way it does it with the snow streamers. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

I got into the car this morning and noticed my dashcam was still on it captured the whole event from 22:00 hrs last night...its going to be good watching that lot.

A nice spark...

Annotation 2020-08-12 120424.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

Yes pics on news now. Lots of smoke but train in a dip behind trees so no real clue what has happened. Wonder what us burning? Lots of emergency vehicles there.

Local reports of at least one fatality

Posted
38 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Landslip/bridge collapse being suggested after the storms. Pic from Twitter.

Pic removed from Twitter now due to fatality announcement.

OMG that looks like the early local reports of one fatality are going to be grossly underestimated. Thoughts are with all affected - passengers, staff, emergency services and families

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
2 hours ago, shuggee said:

A ten year event?

Pretty much what I experienced.It probably is a 1 in 10 year type event but where I am i've never experienced that before in 30 years.Seen plenty of thunder storms but none with lightning anywhere near that often or with that type of strange distant thunder.

Wonder what part the weather actually played in the train derailment... if it was caused by water on the tracks then questions need to be asked about why it was running.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
3 hours ago, snowidea said:

Friends neighbours house was hit in Reddingmuirhead, family all got out OK. 

Screenshot_20200812-095519.png

Jeez!!

I'd only say what everyone else has been saying. Never experienced anything like that in my life. Don't know what was happening on the side of the house but one of the ceiling air vents in the bathroom deposited loads of water on the floor. And the top floor flat I rent out in Edinburgh sprung several leaks too. Power must have gone off and on a dozen times before staying off for about three hours this morning. Walking outside just now, you can't believe any of it happened!

P1180713.jpg

P1180726.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Has been declared a major incident 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I remember a storm like that in the 70s. But only one.

• Like 1

Posted

We had a similar one (in terms of lightning) up here on 19 August 2004. 

• Like 1

Posted

I thought storms are usualy supposed to like clear the air..............if anything it's like a oven again infact easily the hottest of this spell it's a absolute roaster!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, Sanserit said:

OMG that looks like the early local reports of one fatality are going to be grossly underestimated. Thoughts are with all affected - passengers, staff, emergency services and families

Latest report I saw said that there were only six passengers and six railway staff on board as it was the early Glasgow train. Took some time to be reported as it was 9.45 before emergency services arrived they said. 
Meanwhile saw this pic of the road alongside the South Inch in Perth heading to the railways station. 19,000 strikes last night apparently. 

6F12C765-D156-4BFF-AB9F-621FD8D20A0D.jpeg

0CB3FF66-A6E3-428D-9F6D-2F2417EB6D5C.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, NUT said:

I thought storms are usualy supposed to like clear the air..............if anything it's like a oven again infact easily the hottest of this spell it's a absolute roaster!

The storms were part of a Trough last night so the air mass did not change unlike it would do with Frontal rain usually. So that’s why it’s remained hot and humid as there was no fresher air behind the storms.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Latest report I saw said that there were only six passengers and six railway staff on board as it was the early Glasgow train. Took some time to be reported as it was 9.45 before emergency services arrived they said. 
Meanwhile saw this pic of the road alongside the South Inch in Perth heading to the railways station. 19,000 strikes last night apparently. 

6F12C765-D156-4BFF-AB9F-621FD8D20A0D.jpeg

0CB3FF66-A6E3-428D-9F6D-2F2417EB6D5C.jpeg

Yep... that's it! I'm just behind this street and thankfully was unaffected... however, several other areas of Perth were very badly flooded... not nice at all!

Tim

• Like 2

Posted

Storm over Ayrshire heading north on route to East Kilbride /Glasgow area but I doubt it will make it personally... 

Edit:nearly dead already!! 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1