Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Occasional flashes now but by the looks of the radar I think it's the rain that's going to be the problem here. Not likely to be anywhere near the effect on Kirkcaldy  hopefully. 

• Like 1

Posted

Storm approaching here from the sw - I'd been too busy looking at the Stonehaven one on the radar.

• Like 1

Posted

Err.... I think the storms have now officially arrived in Aberdeen. Took their time arriving but absolutely here now, complete with loud thunder & now heavy/torr rain.  

Edited by Richard Taylor
  • Like 2

Posted

Welcome to storm club Aberdeen City and shire!  Just saw first flash of lightning and street lights have come back on.

Edited by howham
  • Like 3

Posted

Some very close strikes about 45mins ago knocked out the power here until now.

Biblical rain and lot of strikes now towards Aberdeen.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I assume the radar isn't lying then @Richard Taylor?

Surprised that the lights haven't even flickered here as we virtually always lose power, even if just briefly, when there's thunderstorms. Looks like the heaviest of the storm is now to our east, with Aberdeen getting clobbered. Rain eased off here and infrequent flashes/rumbles. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side

My weather station has recorded 30.2mm of rain since half 6 and the front garden is totally flooded. Probably some of the heaviest rain I can ever remember.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Yahooooo... finally.. and wow this is something else. Very intense rain, loud thunder and the lightning ?  is cool..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Well, wow that was the best lightning I've seen since I lived in a tower block in Edinburgh in the 70s and we could see as far as the May Island and Fife coast. No thunder, just silent lightning until about 3am. Power off, phones off, rain unbelievable. I opened the back door and we had a river running past. Off now to check Twitter and local news.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Rain has eased but the thunder and lightning continues on. Schools closing in some areas..

• Like 4

Posted

That was an incredible evening, exceptional in the extreme.  10 hours of electrical activity.  There was a quieter period between 1:30am to 5:30am and then an epic re-awakening.  Torrential rain out the front of the house, but relatively little wind, yet out the back of the house there was hail the size of garden peas and ferocious winds.

• Like 6

Posted

Slept through the 5.30am restart. Heard on the radio there was over an inch in an hour in Edinburgh. 

I think I wouldn't have been surprised if the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse had come swimming down my road last night.

• Like 4

Posted

Clear blue skies now to our west but a storm is still rumbling over towards Aberdeen.

Kids got to school dry which is the main thing!

Some bad flooding in Aberdeen/Stonehaven looking at the reports of the Fubar News Facebook site - https://www.facebook.com/FubarNews

Great storm, and some nice Mammatus cloud to round things off...

Snag_1be905.thumb.png.1ada92d9c405edb2d9f326a11210060f.png

Snag_1c2487.thumb.png.a1fa77ec46efb9b4cf4eadf95446e88f.png

Snag_1c54bf.thumb.png.615124f9c5cb2711e45986e902b72709.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Friends neighbours house was hit in Reddingmuirhead, family all got out OK. 

Screenshot_20200812-095519.png

• Like 1

Posted

Well! 

Was kept up most of the night by the thunder... I've never experienced anything like it! However, I'm kicking myself now as I didn't go outside to look at the storm

However, on waking this morning I saw on the news that there was a bit of flooding here in Perth, so I popped outside to have a look... and couldn't get out of my street!! 

Lots of flooding underneath the railway and across the South Inch... incredible stuff, and not really in a good way

I've taken video but it's too big to upload! 

Hope everyone is able to get cleaned up okay... a right mess this morning! 

Tim

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Some of the pics, experiences from folk in the east sound incredible. Looks exciting to watch from the safety of your home but not so good for those whose house got struck or if your car was caught up in floods.

Most of the rail network is affected by flooding this morning as well, I’d imagine lightning strikes have also played havoc.

Cloudy and muggy in Glasgow today, any prospect of a storm for us later?