Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

@mardatha just thought to ask you how the hubby is. I seem to remember he had major surgery before the madness of 2020. Hope all is well.

• Like 1

Posted

Grim day here too although I think the rain is finally clearing through. It brightened up briefly around 5pm but then we had the heaviest rain of the day around 6pm. 

A July to forget although it may end with a fine day on Friday (fingers crossed as I am off and hope to get out on the hills again!)

• Like 5

Posted

Dreadful day from start to finish.. in fact the weather right now is by far the wettest and windiest its been in a long time.. its like mid November more than mid summer 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Still raining quite heavily here as it has been much of the day. There was a very brief dry interlude this evening after the wind switched from Easterly to North Westerly but that was it. Feeling cool too with temps hovering about 11 to13C   mostly. Currently 11C and raining steadily.

edit. Pouring now. We are somewhere under the red bit.

8F524720-5002-44AA-B67D-D0B0FFA655F9.png

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 7

Posted

It's been a long time since its rained constantly for 15+ hours. ?️?️

Let's hope that it will be a long time before its repeated...

Max of 13c, fresh SW backing NNW wind and over 30mm of rain (going by the deeply unscientific ruler in empty plant saucer measuring technique).

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 minute ago, Quinach said:

Over 30mm of rain (going by the deeply unscientific ruler in empty plant saucer measuring technique).

Probably not a bad estimate as going by the data recorded on Wunderground from the weather station belonging to the guy up the road from me there was nearly 28mm here. Total of 100mm for the month to date so nearly a third of the total was today. 

At least I won't have to worry about watering my garden for a while, even if the probably brief warm spell at the end of the week does come to pass as forecast. 

• Like 5

Posted

What a dismal day it’s been. It’s rained from since before I got up this morning and still raining now. Both dogs have point blank refused to go out today except for very necessary visits to the garden for the briefest time possible - mini schnauzers are most definitely fair weather dogs.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Surprised there is not a Met Office wind warning out for tomorrow morning up in the NE? Looks wild in Fraserburgh for example!

A76E9494-CAE8-4C7A-9C31-C27BE3244D55.thumb.png.4553c65fec43490b41ff8faed51f55df.png

Gales look quite widespread through parts of Northern Aberdeenshire - severe gales on the coast. 

Also looking forward to our one and only hot day of the month here (West) on Friday!  (Charts subject to change of course this far out)

42B9BF3C-5980-4ED4-B9DC-180619882FAF.thumb.png.e6c3cbb63bdf9097cea2fdc83ebade3c.png6D820073-CB92-4570-9C7D-1F93749E54E5.thumb.png.48e3d7d2a798bd43129a008fe27a2c19.png

The joys of a Scottish Summer...from the recent thunderstorms, today’s heavy rain, tomorrow’s severe gales and the expected blazing sunshine with temperatures in the mid to high twenties on Friday.

Have a good week everyone.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5

Posted
18 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Surprised there is not a Met Office wind warning out for tomorrow morning up in the NE? Looks wild in Fraserburgh for example!

A76E9494-CAE8-4C7A-9C31-C27BE3244D55.thumb.png.4553c65fec43490b41ff8faed51f55df.png

Gales look quite widespread through parts of Northern Aberdeenshire - severe gales on the coast. 

Also looking forward to our one and only hot day of the month here (West) on Friday!  (Charts subject to change of course this far out)

42B9BF3C-5980-4ED4-B9DC-180619882FAF.thumb.png.e6c3cbb63bdf9097cea2fdc83ebade3c.png6D820073-CB92-4570-9C7D-1F93749E54E5.thumb.png.48e3d7d2a798bd43129a008fe27a2c19.png

The joys of a Scottish Summer...from the recent thunderstorms, today’s heavy rain, tomorrow’s severe gales and the expected blazing sunshine with temperatures in the mid to high twenties on Friday.

Have a good week everyone.

Definitely not a day for hanging my undercrackers out on the line.

Wind has already picked up somewhat in the last few hours so tomorrow will be very interesting indeed..

Edited by bigsnow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
13 hours ago, bigsnow said:

@mardatha just thought to ask you how the hubby is. I seem to remember he had major surgery before the madness of 2020. Hope all is well.

That's kind of you MS, he took a wee while but got better. Currently finding out though that he isn't as strong as he was; had to sell the bike and is struggling with grasscutting and digging the garden. So we're working round it, getting him a smaller lighter mower and he's told the neighbours he can't carry on doing all their grass. He's nearly 74, but the only other man in this street is 90 so he was helping them all with their gardens

• Like 3

Posted

Forgot to mention the weather! It's bright sun but very windy. I don't care, at least it's stopped bloody raining. Now my plants can all get blown to bits instead of drooned. God I wish I lived in Provence...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, mardatha said:

Forgot to mention the weather! It's bright sun but very windy. I don't care, at least it's stopped bloody raining. Now my plants can all get blown to bits instead of drooned. God I wish I lived in Provence...

We live in such a beautiful country, but the weather does really suck much of the time. Its probably why we're so obsessed with it. 

It's stopped raining here too. Windy and not much sign of the sun. We have friends coming over later for a BBQ, looks like it will be a cook outdoors but eat indoors affair. 

• Like 5

Posted

Very sunny here, but windy and 14C.

• Like 4

Posted
5 hours ago, mardatha said:

That's kind of you MS, he took a wee while but got better. Currently finding out though that he isn't as strong as he was; had to sell the bike and is struggling with grasscutting and digging the garden. So we're working round it, getting him a smaller lighter mower and he's told the neighbours he can't carry on doing all their grass. He's nearly 74, but the only other man in this street is 90 so he was helping them all with their gardens

Thats good to hear he doing well.. shame about the other stuff tho.. who's gonna dig the snaw out this winter??

• Like 2

Posted

After a very wet night and early morning its dried out and the sun is actually trying to break through the clouds as I type. Very windy over night and that has continued today.

How long till we find out how much snaw we are all getting this winter?? Do i dare go into the mad house and ask?? Might be a bit early for that fun and games tho..

• Like 2

Posted

Any snaw oot there this winter can bliddy well stay there!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Feeling pretty Autumnal today (though not quite snowy yet) with a strong gusty NW wind. Been mostly dry but only a couple of glimpses of the sun. Temp has crept up to 14.5C now but the wind still has an edge to it.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3

Posted

The sun is breaking through and the washing is out on the line, about the best I can say about today! 16c isn't what you'd expect on Deeside in late July 

• Like 2

Posted

Better enjoy friday's heat it's a quick blink and you miss it affair still 1 not bad day out of 31 in July that something I suppose ;)

• Like 2

Posted

Cool showery day here with a maximum of 13c with  a fresh NW wind.        Have  always describe these kind of  days as Orkney weather. Just 2c on Cairngorm summit just now.

• Like 5

Posted

Just a quick thought what with all this covid lock down stuff and the 3 or 4 months that the climate has had a break from the rubbish human kind bung into the atmosphere etc... could it have an effect on the coming seasons?? Summer has definitely seemed cooler than the last few. Could the climate respond that quickly? No idea myself but interested to know if anybody else here has any thoughts on it.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, bigsnow said:

Just a quick thought what with all this covid lock down stuff and the 3 or 4 months that the climate has had a break from the rubbish human kind bung into the atmosphere etc... could it have an effect on the coming seasons?? Summer has definitely seemed cooler than the last few. Could the climate respond that quickly? No idea myself but interested to know if anybody else here has any thoughts on it.

Aurora Storm and I discussed this and we agreed that it might have some effect but probably not huge and would have to be  sustained to give a greater effect.I might be more inclined to think that we have still to see the lag effect of the low solar minimum and the coming winter may benefit from this if it is cold/snow you are after.  Add this to the extreme weather events  we see nowadays (Within the space of 10 years we had November/December 2010 and The Beast From The East both with lake effect snow off the North Sea) then some cold/snowy periods cannot be ruled out in upcoming winters of the next few years.

• Like 7

Posted

Kids asked to go home early from the park as they were freezing cold (even with two layers on).

Never thought I would see that happen in July!

Thermometer said max of 15c but with the strong and gusty Northerly wind, in reality it felt positively Baltic, even when the sun was out.

Disastrous day for the roses and sunflowers thanks to the wind, the former shedding petals everywhere and the latter's leaves shredded.

• Like 2

Posted

Much better day. 

Not much in the way of sunshine but dry and warmer at 16c. 

Feeling very pleasant thanks to the light wind.

Dragged the kids out to Leith Hall, always colourful at this time of year...

Snag_15a410d.thumb.png.0b1c620bcd3bba88a80c0564c165e473.png

Snag_15a7c32.thumb.png.602395b39c6c167b326c60f93cb58cb6.png

• Like 7

Posted

Wouldn't think we gonna get our one day heat blast tomorrow with how terrible it is outside atm breezy misty drizzly not very inspiring

• Like 2