Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
24 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Wow that warning is unreal! Supercells, tornados, frequent lightning, large hail 

I am prepared to travel if necessary 

Looks like the Western Isles may see a spectacular show. Fingers crossed we all see something special.

Love your pictures @Mr Frost

Cheers mate! 

Lovely sunset tonight! I should have gone a wee walk down!

890AA4C3-B7DB-4654-A435-677211CE84BE.thumb.jpeg.e2f01b9005c9a6d04be29231cd809e9b.jpeg

With regards to the Western Isles...if we had been living under normal circumstances I would have been straight on the ferry tomorrow heading out there!  (You could head to the NW coast as per @Kirkcaldy Weather post)

I am sure we have one or two members who live over there. 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 8

Posted

Oh well, as ever this part of Aberdeenshire looks like the place to live for Astraphobia sufferers - hope to see some good reports of the fireworks in the west in the next few days.

Meanwhile, absolute cracker of a day with a max of 25.3c accompanied by plentiful sunshine and a very warm Westerly wind. 

Dead calm outside just now and surprisingly the temperature is already cooler than last night's overnight low at 12.4c.

Fingers crossed there will be more days like this over the rest of the summer.

Random shot of the sky at lunchtime to give you a flavour of the conditions here.

Snag_2e1735a.thumb.png.4e55b7bd65af40442c4f8301ddc291fc.png

• Like 5

Posted

Lovely night tonight and it looks like we could be in for an interesting couple of days. Last year Glasgow reached 29Cand the year before it exceeded 31C and with 29C forecast for tomorrow it seems summer 2020 might join the list of very high temperatures in Glasgow. Like last summer it hasn't been anything special in terms of temperatures and sunshine so far but when we do get a spell of hot weather it tends to be very hot. 

I've just read the convective weather forecast which is interesting to say the least. Last year was very active in terms of convection and 2018 had a couple of decent storms but the last proper storm I can remember was 2006. I don't think I've experienced a supercell or a severe thunderstorm with large hail and gusty winds although I might have seen a funnel cloud once. I doubt there'll be widespread thunderstorm activity tomorrow but where they do occur they could be intense.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Storms already kicking off over Islay and pushing North. Lots of sferic returns on the lightning detector. This is surely a great sign for later on? The atmosphere must be very unstable over the country and should be even more so after today’s heat.

A6D129C9-B0BE-47DD-A82F-09D075FAE764.thumb.jpeg.a71c328b2e678d118119b39649d456e2.jpeg

I will finish work in East Kilbride at 11pm and may travel down to the Ayrshire coast. It all depends on how things are looking on the radar later on. 

BCAF9D16-D6B9-469B-B839-F072C17B5944.thumb.jpeg.fde9f4140605d46d73a7d904c05c52e9.jpeg7807BF1C-F3C6-4BB9-824D-37C503053711.thumb.jpeg.41f07309756dd3b4cc29064a6db81b97.jpeg

In these setups it’s usually only south of the border that has the chance of seeing any storms. It’s great to see some real potential for a good lightning display for some of us here in Scotland. If I do miss out I won’t be disappointed but it’s great to be in with a good chance, fingers crossed for everyone hoping for a big storm  

• Like 8

Posted
8 hours ago, A Winter's Tale said:

Lovely night tonight and it looks like we could be in for an interesting couple of days. Last year Glasgow reached 29Cand the year before it exceeded 31C and with 29C forecast for tomorrow it seems summer 2020 might join the list of very high temperatures in Glasgow. Like last summer it hasn't been anything special in terms of temperatures and sunshine so far but when we do get a spell of hot weather it tends to be very hot. 

I've just read the convective weather forecast which is interesting to say the least. Last year was very active in terms of convection and 2018 had a couple of decent storms but the last proper storm I can remember was 2006. I don't think I've experienced a supercell or a severe thunderstorm with large hail and gusty winds although I might have seen a funnel cloud once. I doubt there'll be widespread thunderstorm activity tomorrow but where they do occur they could be intense.

We seem to get 29c or 30c but only for a day or so .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

It's got awfy dark oot there! Was going to do some wedding but the midges haven't fed yet and I don't fancy being their breakfast. It's 15.1c just now and not a breath of wind. Lightning strikes currently hitting Mull and heading slowly north. Might get a touch of the old crash, bang, wallop later on! Keeping an eye on the Netweather lightning map! Good viewing there! ⚡⚡

• Like 3

Posted

Strong breeze here which is making it more bearable outside thankfully but it's still HOT! All gonna go bang though.................

• Like 3

Posted

A couple of the Traffic Scotland weather stations already close to 25c across the south-west at 10:30! It's a bit cooler further north so far but the heat will build quickly. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Just heard my first rumble here. Rained earlier on so that put paid to the weeding. I think the south and east of the island is getting it just now. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

As others have said, roasting! 
nearest weather station, Threave, at midday (15 miles West) reported 27.2c

Carlisle was at 27.8c at the same time.

V good chance we will get 30c, perhaps even fairly widespread. 
As much as it’s nice, not great to work in and I prefer 22-25c. Shame it’s to be 15c on Sunday!! One extreme to the other 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Nice looking cell in the NW with decent hail core looks to be N/NE of Applecross. AD2F8652-FA8D-4DBB-B45A-53B0273E2BDE.thumb.jpeg.c46f59a7fe50fb460ae9239fa560d305.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Afternoon all,

17c here in a freshening easterly breeze so around 6c cooler than yesterday. Sunshine is hazy and there was haar first thing. Still, a pleasant enough day. 

Will be interesting to see If somewhere reaches 30c, always a notable event in our maritime climate!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
11 minutes ago, snowlessayr said:

28.2 at Prestwick, will we reach 30? 

Wind his picked up here. My nearest weather station was 28.0c at 1300. Touch and go...

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 4

Posted

26.9C in my garden. Far too hot. Staying indoors. Bah humbug. Grumble.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

28C here shuggee and I'm inside at a fan.

• Like 3

Posted

Must be spectacular by Tiree right now:

Tiree.PNG

• Like 3

Posted

Quite pleasent sitting outside working here, 26/27c but with a nice breeze. I've been watching the cumulus starting to become more widespread and grow a little higher, let's hope that's a good sign for later....

Edit: it's 28c, need to get a new weather station! 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 3

Posted

Fog and low cloud cleared about an hour ago very humid and 19c.  Come inside  this afternoon as sun very strong. Got all domestic grasses and garden dutch hoed this morning if we are in for a spell of wet weather. Even cut a few acres for hay Was going  to cut more but forecast put me off . Can wrap it for hayledge Sunday/Monday if weather really poor. Will go out again in the evening to do some more outside jobs when it cools off.

• Like 5

Posted

29.5c on the A77 at Ayr according to traffic Scotland, surely Prestwick is heading for 30/31c!

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 3