Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
On 30/05/2020 at 14:34, Northernlights said:

Just remembering back to the first week in March when were getting stuck in the mud the transformation has been phenominal with even the spring barley and clover showing signs of wilting in the hot fresh wind. Will not need to cut domestic grasses again until we get rain as it  is now yellow/brown and crisp .

Cattle here all lying on their sides in the sunshine with broad grins on their faces. Going to have  a salad tea outside in the early evening.with own garden radishes,lettuce and strawberries. .All ready a few weeks ahead of normal

@Northernlights Nice to see the cows turned out for the first after such a long and cold spring here in the Eastern Alps of Austria. A welcome appearance of the sun and warmth. Not sure its going to last long. Have you had much rain these last couple of days up in the Great North ?

101566077_3102942633104689_8890456657746722816_o.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, carinthian said:

@Northernlights Nice to see the cows turned out for the first after such a long and cold spring here in the Eastern Alps of Austria. A welcome appearance of the sun and warmth. Not sure its going to last long. Have you had much rain these last couple of days up in the Great North ?

Yes  one of the best days in the spring when you can turn out the cattle to feed themselves and also means that you can do other things at the weekend.

The rain we had two days ago wetted the talcum powder surface of the  ground to about 1.5 inches so will get the last of the neeps  (30%) germinated              .Having said that the sun yesterday afternoon soon restored the dusty surface.               More rain forecast over  the next few days  with snow at 4000 feet on Cairngorm. today.

• Like 3

Posted
55 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Yes  one of the best days in the spring when you can turn out the cattle to feed themselves and also means that you can do other things at the weekend.

The rain we had two days ago wetted the talcum powder surface of the  ground to about 1.5 inches so will get the last of the neeps  (30%) germinated              .Having said that the sun yesterday afternoon soon restored the dusty surface.               More rain forecast over  the next few days  with snow at 4000 feet on Cairngorm. today.

@Northernlights Aye, no greater sight. One of the hotel owners in a nearby villages has a farm some way to the Northeast on the Austrian/ Czech border (where farmland is half the prize compared to much of Austria ) He breeds Aberdeen Angus and uses his black Angus meat in the restaurant during the ski -ing season. I can say , its the best meat I have ever tasted and all his customers love it.  Rupert the breeder has recently just added a prize bull he bought from Rosemead Angus Breeders in Godalming Surrey. He tells me he has to work hard all year just to pay for it !His farm is 750m absl and spends his summers there.

C

Angusweide-klein.jpg

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 5

Posted

Yes @carinthian native breeds are making a bit of a comeback we returned to a Hereford bull  a year ago after 40 years with Continentals as they can convert grass better and are smaller which is what the trade wants now.Steady drizzly rain on now .Lovely Jubbly!!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

The Austrian farmers are much more technologically advanced than here. We'd make the cows walk up the hill when they are put out to pasture, but in Austria they have chairlifts for them. 

• Like 6

Posted

Loads of showers sprouted up virtually from nowhere. Be quite a wet afternoon me thinks

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Yes @carinthian native breeds are making a bit of a comeback we returned to a Hereford bull  a year ago after 40 years with Continentals as they can convert grass better and are smaller which is what the trade wants now.Steady drizzly rain on now .Lovely Jubbly!!!

You would be surprised, but there is a big love over here for all things related to British Farming. . Just caught up with The Mart shown made by BBC Scotland. Think its filmed in Aberdeenshire. One things for sure TV in the UK is far superior to anything offered on the continent.

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

You would be surprised, but there is a big love over here for all things related to British Farming. . Just caught up with The Mart shown made by BBC Scotland. Think its filmed in Aberdeenshire. One things for sure TV in the UK is far superior to anything offered on the continent.

C

Yes its made at Aberdeen and Northern Marts Thainstone Mart in Inverurie Aberdeenshire. We sell our male stores there at about 16 months old,all the  auctioneers are real characters.Its also a Coop  owned by farmers themselves and has had some very forward thinking managers including at one stage my old agri  colleges head of economics  lecturer. Not only does it auction all kinds of livestock but cars commercial vehicles and redundant/surplus North Sea oil  equipment as well

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
11 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Yes its made at Aberdeen and Northern Marts Thainstone Mart in Inverurie Aberdeenshire. We sell our male stores there at about 16 months old,all the  auctioneers are real characters.Its also a Coop  owned by farmers themselves and has had some very forward thinking managers including at one stage my old agri  colleges head of economics  lecturer. Not only does it auction all kinds of livestock but cars commercial vehicles and redundant/surplus North Sea oil  equipment as well

The son of one of the 'stars', Colin, was in the same primary school class as my youngest son. I spent many a morning chatting with him and the other school drop-off dads before he became famous (he'd hate me calling him that).  Really nice guy.

I had a trip all arranged to see a livestock auction at Thainstone Mart for my schoolkids early May, but Covid-19 put paid to that.

• Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Comes over as a well run operation with a personal touch. Nice to see the youngsters in the bidding ring as well,.

C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Mostly cloudy here with light showers. 13C.

0A1E649B-A973-4CD7-9ADE-6058492B0A3C.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted

Got soaked in a shower walking home , been a long time since that has happend. Thought it would feel cooler, still a bit of warmth.

In other news noticed wasps going in under the window cill of bedroom window. House is timber frame, worried that the wasps will eat through the interior plasterboard , that could be fatal . I take it best course is to ring up council?

• Like 4

Posted

There goes doing the garden again. Another big downpour rolling through

• Like 4

Posted
10 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Well @Northernlights our brief spell of summer did not last long. Low clouds rolled in this afternoon with a drop of temperature. Looks like a bleak day in your neck of the woods tomorrow and have noted the prospects of snow on the tops. Funny enough my wife spotted some British labelled Aberdeen Angus steaks in the local Hofer Supermarket. I told her to buy the lot as its a products that flies off the shelve over here because of limited supply. Makes a change from Polish imported EEC beef products filling up the freezes and fresh meat counter. It just goes to show British Farm Produce is the best when made available. Not sure what happens when you lot leave next year regarding supply and demand but that's another story, right or wrong.  Enjoy your day of winter tomorrow !

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 3

Posted

Never ceases to amaze me that in the spring and early summer we can go from mid summer weather to almost winter in 24hours in the north of Scotland. Very cool sky this evening with a moderate wind from the north.  An arctic sky on a June evening with scattered light showers on the horizon -1c on the top of Cairngorm just now and 8c here002.thumb.JPG.ff58b777406e683f5aef9104dbc94a99.JPG003.thumb.JPG.5e96c0f549ce788267b8ef74cbe21e7e.JPG004.thumb.JPG.9264433cd0923fa2f247422f89255ada.JPG

Really only Mid July to Mid August when the  high hills around here are totally snowfall free . My Norse ancestry always appreciates a wintry looking sky. A lot of snow still left in Glencoe for a mid summer ski from the very stormy February.  @carinthian I hope our day of winter is not too severe tomorrow and leaves us with a bit of water for the parched ground,crops and grass will really appreciate it.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 9

Posted

Better day today - there were at least some decent spells of sunshine in the late afternoon and evening.

A few showers though and downright chilly with a max of 10c in a fresh NW breeze.

If you have a android phone/tablet try out the BirdNET app - link

For a BETA product it does a good job of identifying birds by their song. 

Kids are not happy though as I'm using the phone now to hunt down new bird songs when out instead of them hogging the phone playing that infernal Pokemon GO and its PokéStops (which always seem to be in clumps of nettles and other landscape hazards).

Snag_2ff02eb.thumb.png.a7ca62b46763c75615145b37cced652a.png

• Like 6

Posted

I was woken up at 2am by a torrential downpour with hail, one of those where you think there will be some thunder... but there wasn't  it did dump 6mm of rain in a short time, so the plants and grass are now well watered! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

^ yeah had a sharp shower at around 1am here and summer?!  6D71CC35-9F20-4F18-B2ED-7E7F842B41F8.thumb.png.1ea9fff9a0633dbc4c977d7860a509c9.png

• Like 2

Posted

6c to start the day with a mostly dry breezy morning. Clouding over this afternoon and steadier rain not far away.Currently 13c

• Like 3

Posted

I hope this isn’t setting a precedent for the rest of the summer.  Max of 12.4c at Leuchars yesterday and currently 10c with winds increasing here in NE Fife. Feels more like early April! 

• Like 3

Posted

What nonsense is this.  Currently 5.5c with a howling northerly gale and moderate rain.

Got to love the variability of Scottish weather.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Briefly got up to over 12C in the late morning but mainly cloudy with a cold wind and mostly light(ish) showers.

• Like 3

Posted

Going by the rain radar and looking outside looks like the worst of the wet weather has passed through.

There were a few pulses of heavy rain but overall, not really the washout forecast by the Met Office.

Wind still very gusty though.  Managed to blow down the bird feeder which tends to only happen in the worst gales.

Repositioned temporarily under the eave of the house and surprisingly packed with visitors.  Makes photography that bit easier.

Snag_2588d26.thumb.png.922d150786a5019b079eb0b3004fe893.png

Snag_258c08a.thumb.png.d851e8fc57d51e9772d63985e5fb1382.png

Snag_258f94d.thumb.png.d5a45cb7cf19d5890e7969922fd0e51f.png

Snag_259bad8.thumb.png.475ca05b06ea9035dbcb260eac52889b.png

• Like 5

Posted

Just back from an evening exercise walk. Felt more like late Nov than June. Gale force NNW wind blowing spits and spots of rain right into your face. 8C

75C3C09A-3D57-4E4A-AF50-9C008F88A8BD.jpeg

Seeing Quinach's bird table shots reminded me that my daughter has seen a very large brown rat scavenging under ours a couple of times in the last couple of days. How do we discourage it but continue to feed the birds?

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3