Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted

The rain has went through. Back to sun and a decent breeze. Tomorrow still looking dire

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Is it normal to have 50mph winds at this time of year?

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like there's plenty of high cloud starting to stream in ahead of this weather feature for tomorrow

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
1 hour ago, mardatha said:

Not really, but I've known it to happen at almost any time of the year on occasion. I recall a particuarly bad wind storm in August around 2011 or 2012?

EDIT: Just seen the post above by catchmydrift - he'll know better than me how likely it is.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A little rain earlier this morning but a fairly sunny afternoon made it feel quite warm with a max of 19C. A bit heavier rain early tomorrow I think. Certainly the garden needs it.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

There's usually at least one weak-ish stormy spell between late spring and late summer.If there was a stronger one at this time of year it would be more problematic with a lot of trees down but this weekend doesn't look that severe.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, mardatha said:

End of May 2011. Wasn't there a 90mph gust inland? 

17.5°C this afternoon. 

IMG_20200521_133724.jpg

IMG_20200520_143848.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

That's it Catch. Nasty wee low pressure:

NOAA_1_2011052312_1.png

I might be off on one, but I've also a memory that it's a named phenomenon to have a deep depression at this time of year? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

124kph (77mph) at Drumalbin on the 23rd May 2011 so it would be possible that somewhere else got 90mph? 

Apparently that was quite a powerful storm that day, I can't remember it at all.

It was surreal....cos it was mild and sunny but VERY windy. I vividly remember how loud it was. Much noisier than winter storms up here due to all the leaves on the trees, and we watched several large limbs fall off the big sycamores out front. I’d need to check but I think we had sustained winds over 60mph for a spell that day.

In other news, yesterday was our first ‘20C or above’ since 27th August!

• Like 5

Posted

Another lovely day.

Forecast mentioned a hour or two of rain in the morning, in reality not a drop fell from the sky - just overcast conditions.

Afternoon a brighter affair with some good breaks in the cloud allowing temperatures to get up to 19c.  In the sun, that felt very nice indeed.

Winds light and another cracking sunset this evening, though phone struggled to capture the subtleties of the colour right.  Really need to invest in a better camera phone.

sunset.thumb.jpg.b05232c07781e49c839a27acdb86f488.jpg

Snag_31dfad6.thumb.png.b062318774c0788079f94e39c7669fac.png

• Like 9

Posted

1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

That certainly sounds like a thing, doesn't it?

I am not convinced the wind is going to be the problem over the next couple of days, look at the expected rainfall:

915128905_Screenshot_20200522-101414_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.704fa5ce590d94e27933bccbea8e2422.jpg

Meanwhie here with a very strong wind today after a night with only a few outbreaks of rain the crops in the ground are  being sucked dry and are already showing signs of wilting and by the looks of the above chart its going to carry on .

The mountains have a lot to answer for.

Very glad crop sprayed for weeds between the showers yesterday in humid quieter conditions.

Currently sunny and 17c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Checked my weather data and yep, we had a gust of 71.6mph up here on 23rd May 2011, with max sustained speeds around 55mph. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Well we had heavy rain through the night but not really much today. The wind is pretty bad. Blew my garden swing right across my garden and it halved in two.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Very windy here too. Bridge down to cars and single decker buses only so gusts are over 60mph. Despite the wind it felt quite mild with a top temp of 18.9C. Only a couple of lightish showers made it through today despite forecasts showing  some heavy ones coming. Washing certainly dried quickly in the wind. Min last night was 7.8C with a spell of heavier rain around 4AM. Pic is looking West this evening and like much of the day there is cloud out there that mostly breaks up as it approaches.

F60EFCA6-5FF5-4B07-B549-8B823841404F.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Quite the windy squall came through the south side of Glasgow there...

• Like 3

Posted

Very windy again this evening most unseasonal.

Quick question.  Does everyone have the reduced number of swallows 3 (20-30) sand martins 4 (10-20) and swifts  3 (10-20)  like we have?.  Usual figures in brackets?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Winds have been strong enough through the day here but looks like the worst is yet to come 218A4FA7-466D-48DE-9431-3F7DC2421F8E.thumb.gif.824e18058407f28df6e7d6efdab8298b.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Were you to try and guess what the time of year was going by sound, you would have had today down as October or November going by the howling gale that has been here all day.

Some heavy rain first thing in the morning but dry thereafter, notionally a max of 15c but it felt bitter out thanks to that wind.

Not doing nature any favours, already seen a few toppled crow nests and the kids are fuming as the gale has shredded their sunflowers.  Back to the seed packet to start again there.

Some impressive rainfall totals must now be appearing around Kyle of Lochalsh, that area has been hammered with red and yellow rainfall echos all day long.

Snag_340c5a2.thumb.png.23bbde31582f3f0bf601c16401fe91b5.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
6 hours ago, Quinach said:

Not doing nature any favours, already seen a few toppled crow nests and the kids are fuming as the gale has shredded their sunflowers.  Back to the seed packet to start again there

Not doing the wild cherry trees much good here either, and just as the bees were getting some warm weather to buzz all over the blossom on them. Our two apple trees had just started flowering too. Looks like it's snowing outside at times with all the blossom flying around. 

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all,

The wind is still blowing hard here in NE Fife. Reminds me of the May storm we had several years ago (can’t remember exactly when) that desiccated the leaves on the trees. Really ugly weather for the time of year.

Still relatively dry locally, 17mm of rainfall for the month of May at Leuchars.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Morning all

What an absolute stinker of a day. (Add yesterday to that as well)

It has basically rained since 9am yesterday with a short break last night - currently pelting down with SW/WSW gales - gusts between 45 to 50mph.

94E48151-2CC5-4022-AD17-D85CC1239506.thumb.png.67486bb8f1fd907c753b879715555022.png

Current temperature of 9C...feels like temperature is 5C. 

West is most definitely NOT best. 

Enjoy the rest of yer weekend!

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Not overly cold nor has it been as windy as further North-West however last 36 hours from SEPA shows 15mm of very welcome rain has fallen! 

• Like 3

Posted

WET! Wettest weather we've had for quite some time and looking at the radar it's set in too (still very windy)

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

How about that for sparking a memory? I remember the year the leaves turned brown due to the storm and it could well have been 2011 as I hadn't moved to the Borders by then. Forgot all about that, getting old

Yep that sounds right. Can’t believe it was 9 years ago! 

Dry here but we do have the gale force winds.

• Like 3

Posted

Well what a wind. 50+mph at Drumalbin but the funneling down the upper Tweed Valley meant I nearly, uncomfortably nearly, got blown into the water.... And this wee film wasn't even one of the sporadic gusty spells:

• Like 8