Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

wasn't paying attention to the temperature here but noticed it is 23.3 C and was 22.4 C yesterday so 2 warmest days of the year here.  also current dew point is 11.9 C gonna be a big difference tomorrow 

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 2

Posted

Oh, that rarest of Aberdeenshire weather - a thunderstorm (well two rumbles worth).  Very wet and clammy feeling

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

News, good and bad, guys.  My shift first thing tomorrow cancelled due to the weather.  Good means I can sleep in my own bed tonight, bad cos I won't get the required snow shots.

We have a moat here  now, first time since February.

• Like 5

Posted

Posted this before but @Mr Frost asked for snow below 200m in Scotland in May. Photo is from 1995 (Thanks @CatchMyDrift for reminding me of the actual year) and it is probably 25 years ago to the day. Snow and trees in full leaf does look odd! Might look at the archive charts to confirm the date. 
A7521898-83D4-454D-B88D-B056D1DDD5BA.thumb.jpeg.6fa14da872669253e4b077cfbe2f8059.jpeg

Decided to have a wander round the local golf courses while we still can. Amazing views from them all. First is from Linn Park Golf Course looking north. Photo from the same position a few days later is of my sister in Queens Park waving at me from over two miles away.
06504988-2344-4452-A4DB-5992776BAC8F.thumb.jpeg.bd1d8b2293b1e46512008eaf5be7cf73.jpeg02E00D2F-64DA-4DCE-9326-8230193D9951.thumb.jpeg.ce839899f88f75945a902b6ab310fe2e.jpeg

Next is Williamwood Golf Course which is at the end of our road. Seems like a different world on our doorstep. 
BD87B1B8-F0C3-47B3-AA4B-9A87289A46FE.thumb.jpeg.1a5ec58f615ed30c10546819a59638c0.jpeg

Today we went to Cathcart Castle Golf Course. View is looking west. 
3D2C3C05-307B-4906-86E2-CA79D8CA86A9.thumb.jpeg.7815ee21aa7c31a58b420647b56661db.jpeg

If you have any golf courses near you then I recommend a walk if it is permitted. Golf will probably be one of the first outdoor sports that comes back so take the chance while you can. Please don’t walk on the greens or play in the bunkers! 

• Like 9

Posted

@chemikal - by coincidence, we're just back from a very wet stroll round our local golf course. I have always found golf courses rather depressing places, not being a player and always thinking what interesting plants could grow on them and then what birds and small animals would move in. I'm sure our local groundsmen (or whatever they're called) remove birds nests first thing in the morning, and this probably happens on many courses. Illegally of course. This evening I found meadow saxifrage on the edge of a fairway - just waiting for the next mowing to come along. Bah.

Still hammering down but the radar suggests it might clear out before too long. Now 6.5C.

• Like 4

Posted

Snow showers likely to low levels tomorrow evening in N Scotland through night even possibly temporary accumulations. 

3BFE16C7-4624-46FB-B638-A7DB5F79C3D3.thumb.png.999410d0ca4a96cbd00f6a02de787d8b.png

• Like 2

Posted

Warm dull start to the day at 12 c.Rain started about 2.00pm and got heavier as afternoon went on. Temperature gradually falling too  to 6c currently . Cattle given freedom to move to a more sheltered field yesterday but only went through the gate this afternoon as a cool wind wind came in from the north . Animals ar not daft.

Spent the morning blowing out the tractors filters from the last weeks work cultivating turnip ground and driving out dung in very dusty conditions .No problems with dust tonight so with the dusty jobs finished  gave the whole tractor a good blow down( radiators etc....). Needed a shower afterwards.(Wore a mask)

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, snowidea said:

Hot, sunny, beautiful. Mr Snowidea proving irresistible to some dribbly steers, despite his lockdown stubble.

FB_IMG_1589042556348.jpg

So who is hot, sunny & beautiful? :whistling:

Erm, now 4.5C but the rain's off.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

@chemikal - by coincidence, we're just back from a very wet stroll round our local golf course. I have always found golf courses rather depressing places, not being a player and always thinking what interesting plants could grow on them and then what birds and small animals would move in. I'm sure our local groundsmen (or whatever they're called) remove birds nests first thing in the morning, and this probably happens on many courses. Illegally of course. This evening I found meadow saxifrage on the edge of a fairway - just waiting for the next mowing to come along. Bah.

Still hammering down but the radar suggests it might clear out before too long. Now 6.5C.

I know what you mean for different reasons. It is depressing that a beautiful place is limited to those who play because they like golf and can pay the annual fees. If it wasn’t a golf course then it would have been taken up by housing which is worse. 

That is crap if groundsmen remove birds nests but it wouldn’t surprise me. In Williamwood I saw birds that I’d never seen near my house. Anyone care to let me know what this one is? I also inadvertently intervened in nature by saving a baby grey squirrel from being picked off as it scurried to dense trees and being chased by a crow. Ran towards them and the clapping scared the crow away. 

When I’m walking on the golf courses I do think of the Michael Douglas scene in ‘Falling Down’. I hope this never happens.

AA48478C-C2DA-471F-A1A4-D0E73E858238.jpeg

Edited by chemikal
  • Like 2

Posted

That very unusual sound of rain hammering against the window is happening been so long since we had well..................anything! (won't last) but ushers in the change

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
7 hours ago, Quinach said:

Oh, that rarest of Aberdeenshire weather - a thunderstorm (well two rumbles worth).  Very wet and clammy feeling

I must have missed the thunder but there were certainly a couple of torrential downpours over my house this afternoon. Day had started cloudy but warm and muggy. We took the puppy out for a walk this morning before 9am, togged up ready for a cool feel, only to have to strip off the jackets as soon as we started walking. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Thought I would check the radar before bed...turning sleety up North.

DF245978-20C9-41BA-AB3D-62009D1FB7F7.thumb.png.5bf8da64ef4ede67549f7a9be8b3945f.png

Here is the bold Sean Batty’s latest on it:

We shall see in the morning what becomes of it all - hopefully a snow picture or two in here! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Currently snowing lightly, but the ground is so wet from yesterday that it would have to get a lot heavier or a lot colder to stand much chance of lying. Doubt that you'd see much of I took a photo. 

• Like 9

Posted

Cold bright and sunny here at 2c. Strong NE wind making  it feel and sound wintry as it whistles round the house.

Morven in Caithness is white this morning as are some of the other hills to the north across the Firth including Ben More in Sutherland. Going for a walk later and will see what Ben Wyvis looks like as well.

• Like 6

Posted

Classic winter in spring conditions today with light flurries of soft hail and snow coming in off the Firth from the north east on a fresh wind.Hills all round the Firth have a covering of various amounts down to 750 feet. Think we will get more wintry showers this afternoon as the sun gets stronger. Currently 3c and its -7c on the top of Cairngorm

A selection of photos002.thumb.JPG.dd8d2a64f80837b8cf29b84875360c3b.JPG003.thumb.JPG.0a55b796e25106f93efe991633df40e7.JPG010.thumb.JPG.ee339a78bac4a6d78e5849f18e3273ba.JPG015.thumb.JPG.10101034cd8d4e6128be11fbb7454b15.JPG021.thumb.JPG.c4b354d1315e17cf301bee6cda0c8d8d.JPG023.thumb.JPG.70e40695b6b696ee69aaf24e8c328a4a.JPG017.thumb.JPG.48c1700057715aef6186a1923bdf5abf.JPG

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Early cloud has drifted off to the South now leaving mostly sunny skies. Deceptive though as there is a cold strong NNE breeze . 5C

1A14DAAA-B1EF-40C0-97CA-9FC333175B64.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 7

Posted

Temperature got down to 3.8°C at 10.30am. The NE wind has blown much of the mayflower off the trees, so doing a good impression of a dusting. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Morning all

Lovely scene on the Loch Morlich webcam/live stream currently.

Mountains looking great as we approach Summer!

og-image.jpg
WWW.LOCHMORLICH.COM

A stunning beach, renting of equipment of a variety of activities, lessons, and all in the beautiful settings of the Cairngorms and Glenmore Forest

Still got those wintry showers moving in from the North - glad to see some of you have seen snowfall at least.

424F6819-5380-4DB7-805A-CF8D5C598374.thumb.png.b65c438df36037c81a7bdece1a742375.png

Closer to home a very cold night ahead for many of us! (Even I might see a frost!)

Not a bad week ahead at all - plenty of sunshine at times, mainly dry (North/North East most at risk of showers - mainly light) and temperatures below average but recovering later in the week/weekend to average/slightly above.

Have a good Sunday.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 9

Posted

We're averaging about 90% cloud cover this morning although no ppn of any sort since yesterday evening and no sign of white locally at all. Quite breezy and feels like February out there, not May.  Got all the delicate babies tucked up in the porch last night so they're safe. Now to get some layers on...

• Like 6

Posted

Graupel heavier for a bit there. Very short showers. Beers in the garden yesterday, shorts, t-shirt and now getting the hats and gloves on the kids for our daily ramble up the hills

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 7