Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted

Clear blue skies first thing after another overnight frost (-1.5c).

Fluffy white fair weather clouds now the order of the day with glimpses of sunshine. 

Pleasant enough when the sun is out, but when its not it feels cold out there thanks to the brisk SE wind.

Currently 11.8c.

Snag_f3b2e6.thumb.png.26bb57f13b44bdbf389654a10ea72d5a.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
17 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

A green hairstreak - not seen one for years! 880981256_greenhairstreak.thumb.jpg.67e0c575cf1b48ced0ad2bece799a109.jpg

Awww lovely! On the lookout for them here but there’s not much blaeberry out yet, so will be a wee while yet.

• Like 7

Posted

8.3C max in a cold persistent wind. Hat back out from the drawer. Raining properly now. You'll have had your summer.

• Like 4

Posted

Summer's over.........it's raining  First proper wet evening we've had in cor.................a while let me say that. Did rain a little yesterday and monday but this band has set in for a while (before a follow up band tomorrow)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I was up the road to Caithness again today.  I reckon traffic is back to something like 30% or so of pre-lockdown on the northern part of the A9, although rather less in the far north, compared to about 10% in the couple of weeks after lockdown started.  This isn't reflected in gov't stats. What are other peoples' observations?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
20 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

I was up the road to Caithness again today.  I reckon traffic is back to something like 30% or so of pre-lockdown on the northern part of the A9, although rather less in the far north, compared to about 10% in the couple of weeks after lockdown started.  This isn't reflected in gov't stats. What are other peoples' observations?

This week has been significantly busier compared with any others since lockdown. Not as busy during rush hour and school run but daytime traffic not that much less than pre lockdown. 
A cold day here with an Easterly breeze bringing increasing cloud and our first real rain of the month arriving this evening out with the odd shower a couple of days ago. Currently 7.3C but just scraped double figures in the late morning.

• Like 6

Posted
4 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Looking down on the A96 I would say traffic levels are up here too to around the same level but are mostly vans and lorries with cars only in evidence at commuter times . In our case we are are probably adding to this as all our food/household supplies are being delivered in and we have even had a delivery from the local garden centre which has been hit particulary hard hit  at their busiest time of year.

I have only been out in the car a few times to the vet     (vets only come out to farms for emergencies at present)   where the drugs are being arranged on the  phone with farmer/ temperature of animal/vet diagnoses sometimes using video on internet and put onto table outside practise when you arrive and you help yourself  while being observed from  behind the glass doors. One of the few times for me when everything becomes very surreal.

We are very fortunate to be working on the farm everyday as it gives a sense of normality that most people do not have

Raining here this evening and currently 6c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
4 hours ago, Norrance said:

This week has been significantly busier compared with any others since lockdown. Not as busy during rush hour and school run but daytime traffic not that much less than pre lockdown. 
A cold day here with an Easterly breeze bringing increasing cloud and our first real rain of the month arriving this evening out with the odd shower a couple of days ago. Currently 7.3C but just scraped double figures in the late morning.

I haven’t been off the hill in over a month so haven’t seen traffic, but I’ve heard it. There’s a background roar from Glenrothes and the A92 this week and last week that wasn’t there’s the first few weeks.

In other news, 10.2mm of rain today! Shame it couldn’t have come two days earlier and saved the reed beds on the Tay.

• Like 4

Posted

Some light rain overnight and some more this morning.Still cool at 9c with an E wind

Looking at the garden this morning and germination/growth is very slow as it is in the grass fields where cows and calves have had to be shifted into a fresh   field today. Will have to lose the cold nights first for growth to take off with no sign for the forseeable of night temperatures being above those needed for growth so the cool spring carries on

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cool and cloudy here with an Easterly breeze. 9C. Arthritis playing up last night for the first time in a while perhaps due to the change in the weather. 
Some pics of the fire which destroyed a two mile long stretch of the riverside reed banks taken from the local paper and showed the local helicopter pilot who dropped 77 loads of water from the Tay onto it and helped contain the fires. The article mentioned the rare bearded tits and marsh harriers that nested there and which lost eggs and chicks. The former will probably nest again nearby but the latter return to the same nest every year so may not manage to recover.

119A2C6B-3577-4308-A102-6E7CF5D00D4F.jpeg

9F42B44D-9A01-46B5-8704-851595FCDB87.png

4E68AFE7-C414-42E5-981A-7523DB35EBB4.jpeg

D3A86E85-1E7B-4853-A8B1-F2BFE1A47C3A.png

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Some light rain overnight and some more this morning.Still cool at 9c with an E wind

Looking at the garden this morning and germination/growth is very slow as it is in the grass fields where cows and calves have had to be shifted into a fresh   field today. Will have to lose the cold nights first for growth to take off with no sign for the forseeable of night temperatures being above those needed for growth so the cool spring carries on

Yep. Noticing very slow growth in the garden, in fields and on the hills so far. Warmth would be most welcome. 

• Like 4

Posted

Was away to head out for the daily exercise but the rain just won't go off. Radar shows a narrow convergence line of showers with our name in it coming in from the East. Pity this wasn't in deep winter.

C392C32F-42BF-401A-8A6C-9C9A6CCABD61.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Afternoon all

Decent shower has just arrived overhead at the moment! 

C3939CF0-D34C-427F-91B4-06BCE6119FE7.thumb.png.c7919b01ed67f1a38f36bbdd471ad99d.png

Well after the welcome bit of rain over the past couple of days the next five to seven days look lovely here. (Same for many other places)

Similar to our recent sunny/dry weather.

6DC83718-A81C-4B3E-80F6-41B0C04D90F7.thumb.png.410b5fec77f5f5d89c633fface121e23.png

I can’t see any real warmth/heat on the horizon for a few weeks yet. (20C + sustained)

Cold/chilly nights continue next week. (ECM charts)

A26544E2-C91A-46FA-81EA-FEA73F209163.thumb.png.edad5dbfe2e760da6d481d66f2866990.pngDD3A1672-B206-4DBA-9A86-13C9D56391EA.thumb.png.85847727718202eec96d235844d7ed47.png41204A16-958B-4198-AF50-7A77C57DDC81.thumb.png.8f7ec8c1568828e4ab4230f3ecfb1aaa.png1CC4D44D-5E07-44C1-A6E0-4DAB27356041.thumb.png.25ec91e8d6862325028de76da7f64b47.png

Latest GFS ends with this on the 16/05...would be nice to see charts like that become reality during Winter. 

380C90F8-FC56-4240-BF24-83EE913985EB.thumb.png.211d55a7d929b9da7537f087d4a625ec.png809F22D1-D2CC-412A-B25A-F366AB31F5B5.thumb.png.7bb138c6e084fd6c0cb2f81d9338e184.png

Snow falling on the mountains well into mid May and beyond if those charts verify! 

Let’s keep the proper heat for June, July and August!  (Hopefully!)

Finally this was up to April 26th - not a bad month at all. (Final stats released over the next couple of days)

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Very localised area of small CAPE tomorrow towards Fife but showers look to be further west so probably a waste but could be a convergence zone for Saturday might give you something else to report on @CatchMyDrift  though CAPE values nothing really so probably standard showers. BD368E42-6065-4EF2-96C2-24AF24CD9522.thumb.png.031a9ffa56652dac6af87d5c70cd5ecf.png80632CDE-E66B-4E4E-8BAF-8EE818454529.thumb.png.2bed753ffa965e1df12489acb011f412.png

• Like 4

Posted

Seems the "Gab of May "  (spelling ? )   is on its way around the 9th of May according to some of the models with some fairly  cold weather.

With all this dry weather young Mr. Northernlights has been getting the neep ground ready but I have said we will wait till after mid May to sow them as they can "bolt" (they are perennial plants developing a bulb in their first year and setting seed in their second year, bolting makes them set seed in their first year and therefore no bulb for feeding the cattle) if they germinate, emerge and get a sharp frost.

• Like 7

Posted

A good drenching few hours of rain early this morning and already the garden is looking the better for it - if for no other reason than to wash off all the dust encrusted on the foliage from the last few weeks of dry weather.

After the damp morning, drier in the afternoon with a few glimpses of the sun.

Light winds and feeling cool if not cold, with a max of 10c.

Every year have a mystery here in that you suddenly see a lot of House Martins for a day or two (as was the case last weekend) then they disappear completely before reappearing en masse a week or two later.  This year is proving no exception with none seen since Saturday.

Regarding traffic, roads round here are definitely busier than previous weeks; people are not taking things as seriously and the situation is going to get worse again with the muppets in London declaring this evening that the worst is over and all is well.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
6 hours ago, Quinach said:

Regarding traffic, roads round here are definitely busier than previous weeks; people are not taking things as seriously and the situation is going to get worse again with the muppets in London declaring this evening that the worst is over and all is well.

We were in Inverurie yesterday for the first 'big shop' in exactly 2 weeks (local co-op shop last weekend). I'd say it was slightly busier in and around the shops, but still very quiet in the main town centre. Had a moment of inspiration and finally picked up flour, how exciting is that, lol. JG Ross bakery up near Morrisons is bagging up thier bulk supply into 1kg bags and selling in the small shop there. 

The wet weather yesterday was a welcome change, enough rain to have hopefully soaked in to the borders and grass. Would prefer warm rain if possible as at 7C it felt like we were back in Dec/Jan. First day I haven't done anything in the garden for weeks. 

I'm back in work (school) this morning for the first time since the schools closed, which is going to feel very strange. No idea what pupils I'll be supporting so I will be 'winging it' for 3hrs.

• Like 5

Posted

First three house martins here yesterday which is about ten days behind normal, no swallows as yet or swifts in the house.

Some more rain overnight and currently dull and 6c

• Like 4

Posted

Very dry here in April too. In fact a very dry March too. 

No swallows or martins here yet (their nests all seem to have been adopted by sparrows) although I've seen them in other places I have visited in the last week.

Edited by Hairy Celt
the sun shines forth
  • Like 6

Posted

spacer.pngJust in from a 45 min walk mostly in sunshine but with very heavy dark clouds to the West and North which are edging this way. 13C with the rain just starting now. In fact it is bouncing hailstones!

EBC36E37-5AD2-47D1-B4A0-5B4888404238.jpeg

CAD667A1-D5CC-4AA7-8A73-4B2089DA7DDE.jpeg

B7B2BA3B-3C56-4F8D-9B7F-393F46DE45AD.jpeg

oops duplicated post and photo!

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 8

Posted

Was supposed to be a showery day here but the mountains have done their wonders everything all been deflected away from us been quite a nice day actually (Don't think next week looking too bad either)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Only a few spits here, dodging a drenching from the NW. 

Very nice sunny spells peaking at 14.5c with minimal wind so perfectly pleasant.

A good day to get into the garden and earn my keep. I’d make a class landscape gardener 

Rhododendron tree in full bloom now, a glorious Deep pink 

0D3DE70C-F40E-4D7C-9AF9-106B59F2EBCE.jpeg

52087153-D904-484F-8E2A-B1ADB6EA06A6.jpeg

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 7

Posted

Yellowman strikes again 8)

A very dull and boring day here - not cold, not warm, not sunny but not totally overcast, not windy but not flat calm, not dry but no more than a few spits and spots. No thunder, no snow, no tornados, not very much of anything really.

This pretty much says it for some folk I know just now... IMG-20200501-WA0000.thumb.jpg.bf5f2b0386cca1a8ac34ee70a98658d5.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Evening all

Lovely day here with the showers staying away. (looked lively on the radar towards @Kirkcaldy Weather @Norrance )
Also some thunder and lighting scattered throughout Scotland earlier in the day.

Great outlook for the next five to seven days here and for many of us.

AA63BE7B-2BF8-445D-9CB0-6E2565DB5813.thumb.png.d244c557ab45c9fcd91d17484aec329b.png

I see we had our sunniest ever April and third driest on record. 

Scotland's 'sunniest April on record'

_112082468_whatsubject.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Provisional Met Office figures also suggest it was the third driest on record for Scotland.

913E7C09-0580-437C-9141-CC79E8DDB4C8.thumb.png.f6f3ba118db0387c271644ca4fa46142.pngC13DFBC0-535B-4DC0-A848-3936240B00C1.thumb.png.3a9959233eaa7438d4f5fcb8fffa3b85.png

Eastern Scotland like a desert once again. 

Lovely end to the day with a nice wee bit of colour. 

B0570E1A-B91E-4BC7-938C-E6CD6EA84E46.thumb.jpeg.c81078b82e566f59529af9b25e34bc89.jpegC27953DD-F0BE-4DF5-B347-A5FD4C443077.thumb.jpeg.02a314046b971aea5e27e263aee947e4.jpeg

Have a good weekend everyone!

• Like 7