Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Decent enough day here. A light shower in the morning but then dried up for most of the day, even got some sun breaking through but cooler overall than its been. Around 6pm one of the heavy showers that were flirting around finally tracked over our house for the first water running down the road type rain for what seems like weeks at least. It was fairly short lived though so I suspect the borders in the garden will still be bone dry beneath the surface damp. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Back in clear arctic air here now with just a light breeze. Venus and the crescent moon very bright tonight. Camera in this thing doesn't do it justice I'm afraid. Pic makes crescent appear much larger and shows that Venus is round.

61748723-B19F-4B32-899D-6BEB14792675.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6

Posted

A very different day compared to the last few weeks.

Overcast and cool in the morning with a very light shower at breakfast time, just enough to dampen the concrete.

Afternoon a brighter affair with a few glimpses of sunshine, allowing temperature to rise to their max for the day of 13c.

Early evening a damp affair with two heavy and prolonged showers, though this has barely made a difference to the soil conditions as its still dust under the initial 2mm of damp soil.

Petrichor was very noticeable after the first heavy shower, another sign that summer is coming.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Ah well, it had to come sometime! Raining again, an unfamiliar sound indeed!  Just light showers so nothing to get excited about. Will do the ground a lot of good I'm sure. Will dash out between showers to plant peas and onions. Awaiting broad bean seeds and seed potatoes. Ordering online as none available in Skye just now. there's a very pleasant coolness on the face just now which I like. More dry weather to come later this week by the look of things, so more gardening and clearing up outside is on the cards. Weeds sprouting like mad. Anyone know of any kind of chemical free weedkiller or something that I could concoct at home? 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Plenty of showers rattling through here this morning, some heavy, one even with a touch of hail mixed in. @mistyqueenmy most effective weedkiller formula consists of dirty hands and a sore back, which is why it's so annoying that 2-3 days after weeding a border it again looks like I've never been at it.

• Like 3

Posted

The lack of rainfall really is incredible. Looking at the SEPA data for Torphin we have seen just 2.4mm this month. April could easily be on a par with April 2017 which only recorded 3.8mm of rainfall. If we avoid any rain this week then we could see the lowest monthly total since October 2013. Unlikely to happen given the forecast but still.....very dry spell of weather. 

• Like 3

Posted

Started sunny but cloud has filled in generally. No wind though so don't feel too bad thankfully

• Like 2

Posted

Some dark clouds on the horizon. That band of showers tantalisingly close

• Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, NUT said:

Some dark clouds on the horizon. That band of showers tantalisingly close

Finally some rain shocker! Feels good to see it again

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
5 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Petrichor?! Never heard that before. 

Fleeting hail showers in Caithness this morning, temp about 8C.

• Like 2

Posted

First rain that we've had in ages falling here now with some hail mixed in, absolutely stinks of petrichor outside 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Ross B said:

First rain that we've had in ages falling here now with some hail mixed in, absolutely stinks of petrichor outside 

Every time I see that I just think of the name 78357349-54B5-41B7-854F-D7FFD33908FC.thumb.jpeg.c2963feebd95b2bb05b3c97aa1778716.jpeg

oh and drought continues here but looks like rain on Thursday with a front.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cooler and showery here today. Some hail mixed in. Max was 10.2C in the morning sunshine. Min 2.7C.

Despite the showers a major fire in the Tay reed beds ongoing. 9 fire engines there atm.

84EE8097-2466-44BA-9DF0-588B52578064.jpeg

88B8CA23-78DE-467E-8947-BB9E0C64E972.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the SEPA stats again - no rainfall here for 17 consecutive days and even that was only 0.6mm. Quite incredible. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

So what does the petrichor smell come from? I have no sense of smell left these days but I remember it could be quite pungent, sometimes pleasant, sometimes maybe less so.

• Like 2

Posted

Well it is raining here very light drizzly stuff but enough to wet the ground.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Mostly sunshine here today with a high of 13C.

Surrounded by showers earlier - thought we might get a torrential downpour as a couple of them looked quite beefy. (Those ones missed my area)
In the end I got about two minutes of drizzle overhead which barely wet the ground. 

Was out for my standard sunset picture and could see the back of this to my North East over the Loch Lomond Hills. (Decent rain shaft visible)

C31A56F0-A857-4C92-80FB-AB7C7887E96A.thumb.jpeg.951a7177d1dedd63e2c44980ffc935e3.jpeg198D414C-4927-441D-8C4A-2C6BA553C55D.thumb.png.35753f7b12479baa0b7f6e8fef55eee3.png

At the same time to my North West:

EFF7CD66-7A7D-4029-9692-1D2640C476ED.thumb.jpeg.f618fd6e9b9e8f80ca011d57893d3cb1.jpeg

Panoramic view.

39C747DF-FFB5-485A-BEAA-F8804CD74BE7.thumb.jpeg.345bb9810571b4187e7f548e5844a4b6.jpeg

Great to see the showers blowing up on the radar today - been a long time! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 7

Posted

Coolish start to the day at 4c with some heavy showers overnight leading to some puddles on the farm tracks.The afternoon dried up and crops had a fertiliser top up so just need a few more showers this week to wash it in. Cool again tonight at 4c

Couple of photos to show showers over the Firth and the much sunnier skies this afternoon007.thumb.JPG.a4ae53b18cbc37597eb264bbe1761010.JPG003.thumb.JPG.1a46e5d69b7a715d6513c07a96ebf409.JPG

Ben Wyvis had a fresh cap of snow in the early morning which was hard to see in photos002.thumb.JPG.592cea5714e3ef9b866783550efc35e2.JPG005.thumb.JPG.6d9db879c1afd0deae7753df59b979a0.JPG

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Posted

Cool start to the day at 3c with the remnants of a very heavy  hail shower in thr middle of the night piled up against north facing walls and buildings .Top dressed fertiliser on barley yesterday will have been washed in.Great!!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Beautiful  morning up here after another widespread frost with temperatures down to freezing, I must tot up how many frosts this winter.  There has been a fresh dusting of snow over Ben Klibreck last couple mornings, not the best picture but you can just about make it out!1587982388729.thumb.jpg.da722c762b960f566c7ab9582f3373a6.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Bright start after another sunny day yesterday with Leuchars recording 11 hours of sunshine a min of -1c and max of 10.6c. The min would most likely have been higher and the max lower here! Looks like the first meaningful rain of the month this evening! 

• Like 5