Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
14 hours ago, Quinach said:

Clear blue skies all day but its cold air, max of 8c today in generally light winds.

In the sun felt perfect as long as the fleece was on, in the shade a tad chilly.

Beautiful evening for a walk, going to be another chilly one tonight as already down to 3c.

Come to the conclusion Sparrows are the bullies of the avian world, got some Coal Tits that keep investigating one of our bird boxes.  Every time they get close, they get mobbed by Sparrows, even though they cannot fit into the box in the first place.

Snag_7a1396.thumb.png.a224afe185bbfdfacbb7577ef21e0b37.png

Robins, blackbirds, lots of common birds behave like this. Nothing compares to the extreme violence of a peregrine though peregrine.thumb.jpg.35c84355878e2b29e1b723b1c4c0d5f8.jpg (not my photo)

Blue here too - there was the remains of some vague haar over the other side first thing, long since burnt off.  It's warmer than yesterday with little wind.

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, shuggee said:

-0.2°C overnight making it my thirty eighth air frost. Crystal clear morning. Lyrid meteor shower picking up over next two nights so these skies should help enormously and with only a sliver of a crescent moon, this year might be a good one. 

Would be good if the council hadn't 'upgraded' our streetlights to these bright white dazzlers :wallbash:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

@Mr Frost This year is slacking in terms of convective / thunder I had my first thunder on 4th April last year I seriously doubt I will get anywhere near as much as last year but the main month here is usually July so plenty time. Can’t see where any rainfall is going to come from in the near future for us though with this Scandinavia high. Even with the easterly we have been doing well here for sunny days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
49 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

@Mr Frost This year is slacking in terms of convective / thunder I had my first thunder on 4th April last year I seriously doubt I will get anywhere near as much as last year but the main month here is usually July so plenty time. Can’t see where any rainfall is going to come from in the near future for us though with this Scandinavia high. Even with the easterly we have been doing well here for sunny days.

I had a few strikes overhead and nearby back in February during the big heavy wintry/snow showers - @NUT @Ross B @Stormeh (amongst others) did well if I remember correctly.

14BA754D-D563-4E4C-B44B-A0DC3BA8667F.thumb.gif.ae5cdf3cfed1747593225fffeda8161f.gif

Hopefully Summer delivers the goods once again!

Up to 14c here now so hopefully hit at least 16c later. (Chilly nights and pleasant/warm days - lovely spell of weather most of us are having)

Still plenty of snow patches on the Arrochar Alps in the distance - not nearly as much as up in Glencoe though. 

flypaper.jpeg
WWW.GLENCOEMOUNTAIN.CO.UK

Click to refresh the page Click a thumbnail to view larger webcam view  or scroll down for slideshow.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

What's a "street light"?

I play the street light
Because there's no place I can go
Street light
It's the only light I know
Street light
And there's a thousand cards to play
Street light
Until you play your light away

(etc)

(apologies to Randy Crawford)

hat, coat, door...

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted

Lovely sunny day. Still chilly though, just 9c in the easterly breeze. Meanwhile I see Prestwick and Altnaharra are at 17c.

• Like 3

Posted

Coll start at -1c but sunshine all day from cloudless skies.Reached 13c this afternoon in a cool E wind

Put cows and calves out full time today001.thumb.JPG.b75155ec0e331a362c64cbdc1305e26f.JPG but will continue to feed them silage as the frosty nights are holding back the grass and dare I say it its getting very dry for shallow rooting grass.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

b25lY21zOjM5NGE1YWM3LTY0NTYtNGI1OS1hMzFj
TRIB.AL

It was spotted roaming in Corstorphine.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Max of 16c today and not a cloud to be seen.

Sunset and post-sunset was not too bad either. 

7AD18E6F-9A24-44D8-8E02-474D2936EF30.thumb.jpeg.b05f87732f3778584b9f4b31078a38d9.jpeg

F20DFA87-8F51-4CEE-8858-CEFFD771400D.thumb.jpeg.b2927f43df79c51a20899f366c2e9582.jpeg

E453DA56-8DB8-47E6-AE8B-05E9A1AC1CDE.thumb.jpeg.1004834d41d7894880f83495c3e8a8fc.jpegBEB50124-FD6C-4438-ADC5-770A2EBF9D54.thumb.jpeg.06572c34697c1d22cb7a8797913a3789.jpeg

Perfect Spring weather.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 7

Posted
13 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

"Post sunset" = gloaming

The gloaming is always a great time to be out especially at this time of year until July. 

I should have known better!  (Being Scottish and all)

Great word! 

gloaming. A poetic word for "twilight," or the time of day immediately after the sun sets, is gloaming. ... This is a word with a strong Scottish heritage, adopted from Scottish dialect during the Middle Ages and rooted in the Old English word for "twilight," glōm.

I shall be using that in future. 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted

Another cracking day.

Very cold last night with -4c recorded, just as well the fleece was put out on the tender plants.

Clear blue skies all day until the last hour or so with low cloud drifting in from the SE.  Just in time to stop the kids meteor hunting 

A bit warmer than yesterday with a max of 12c.

Light winds to start then quite gusty in the early afternoon leading to beech leaves everywhere (the shedding of the marcescent leaves means fresh foliage is imminent).  Back to light winds now from the SE.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
11 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

As for Winter 2019/20...let’s pretend that never happened. 

It didn't! 

Cracking day with hardly a cloud to be seen as I spent most of the day on the garden. The cool breeze meant it wasn't quite t-shirt weather though. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Good morning from an endlessly sunny Skye! At least that's what it seems like! Can't remember the last time I saw clouds. Or when we last had rain. Lovely crispy clear evenings and nights. Wall to wall sunshine during the day. Looks to continue for a good few days yet. Not that I'm complaining! This weather has really lifted the gloominess that was pervading all and everything! At least I'm getting the garden cleared up slowly but surely and have a planting programme sorted out too. Got some seeds in pots on the kitchen window ledge and will plant other seeds outside when it starts to warm up a bit. Still too cold to plant outdoors yet. Might even get some pics taken, been too busy to bother with a camera! 

Enjoy the glorious weather folks and make the most of it as best you can! ☀️

• Like 4

Posted
12 hours ago, Ravelin said:

It didn't! 

Cracking day with hardly a cloud to be seen as I spent most of the day on the garden. The cool breeze meant it wasn't quite t-shirt weather though. 

I thought February was quite exciting during the gale force winds as blizzards rolled in from the west. Definitely had quite a few days with snow falling at some point here in Edinburgh. Even thundersnow in parts of Scotland. And it's not often that you get heavy snow showers moving in across the whole country on a western wind... 

Coming back to today, more glorious sunny weather in Edinburgh. Unusually clear for an eastern wind.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 hours ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

I thought February was quite exciting during the gale force winds as blizzards rolled in from the west. Definitely had quite a few days with snow falling at some point here in Edinburgh. Even thundersnow in parts of Scotland. And it's not often that you get heavy snow showers moving in across the whole country on a western wind... 

Coming back to today, more glorious sunny weather in Edinburgh. Unusually clear for an eastern wind.

I suppose I'm looking at it from a NE Scotland perspective, where those westerlies didn't really bring anything much as they were intercepted by the Cairngorms. There was only one occasion here that we got a significant accumulation of snow and a couple of earlier occasions where we had a covering that lasted for up to a week just because the temp stayed cold enough. 

Gloriously sunny here again today but the wind is stronger so not really comfortable unless you are well sheltered from it.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4

Posted

Milder start to the day at 2c followed by wall to wall sunshine and  a fresh SE wind Currently 13c. In the garden again. putting pea stakes up.

Still big scars of snow on Ben Wyvis low humidities and frosty nights are preserving it.

No doubt the western mountains would have had  had a very good spring skiing season in normal times

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sunny all day here. Max 13.7C so a couple of degrees up on yesterday and 4 up on Saturday. Always a cool breeze though. See Stornoway had more hours of sun last weekend than it had in either of the whole of January or December.     Spring is the sunniest period for the western Isles.

Anyone else notice just how bright Venus was yesterday? Some meteors possible tonight too!

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Beautiful clear day today. Could see the Crianlarich hills and Arrochar alps from Linn Park in Glasgow. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
4 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Milder start to the day at 2c followed by wall to wall sunshine and  a fresh SE wind Currently 13c. In the garden again. putting pea stakes up.

Still big scars of snow on Ben Wyvis low humidities and frosty nights are preserving it.

No doubt the western mountains would have had  had a very good spring skiing season in normal times

Here was Glencoe just a few days ago. I see someone decided to social distance by himself down the main basin! 

97A46007-5DA5-4804-A34A-23E877D35043.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted

Another gorgeous day, you really could get used to saying this...

Not as cold last night thanks to the cloud early on, with a minimum recorded of 0.5c.

Clear blue skies all day and a max of 11.5c, the temperature moderated by the fresh SE wind that was there around lunchtime.  Calm conditions now and you can feel the chill in the air, going to be another frost by the looks of things.

In long term looks like the grey murk we usually get with Easterly orientated winds will make a unwanted appearance at the end of the week.

Saw this interesting post on the Highland Astronomy Facebook site, if no meteors you can watch the manmade ones instead....

Highland Astronomy Facebook

Snag_29572ee.thumb.png.ae61e9a65e578e91d299d057f69d173b.png

• Like 3

Posted

Just been out with the dog and really the first night  I have seen the glow to the north as we head nearer to midsummers day.

Was also lucky enough to see a bright meteor too. Very surreal listening to curlew,owl, and bats fluttering round me with no background noise from the main A96 road.

• Like 6

Posted

Just been out for a ride to find a dark spot for meteors, boy is it cold now after being so warm late afternoon. No meteors. The only noise is birds (lots of linnets, yellowhammers, oystercatchers and ringed plovers around) and surf on the other side of the Ness. And some strange thumps from Fort George. We had battered peacocks and small tortoiseshells in the garden earlier.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Loving the dry weather but finding this wind, up at this height, unbearable to be out in. So spending the days inside looking out at it which isnt fun.

Husband says cars were white this morning.

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 4

Posted

A bit milder again first thing  this morning at 4c. Fabulous sunshine again but a fresh breeze. Currently 12c Sea fog visible in the Firth today though.

Still  a couple of snow drifts left on the Cawdor hills below 1500 feet005.thumb.JPG.c5a73250e1c3bb6b89bbffe93e57feb0.JPG

Ben Wyvis however has a lot of snowcover for the end of April010.thumb.JPG.d2d099181061ddfe514bf042c16858d8.JPG

Calves smiling in the sun.006.thumb.JPG.0ab922fe1269bc6d37f5e95709af2595.JPG012.thumb.JPG.6388d897076676c81dc261973e842e2a.JPG

Spring barley looking well011.thumb.JPG.29d3ae9763ebe966a6ce56b050bfde40.JPG

Twilight at 10.30pm last night004.thumb.JPG.90f38fbece0b3fa7ff12b237f4d6c85a.JPG

Mountains to the west in Wester Ross still have a lot of snow cover too020.thumb.JPG.d63d5a352e193a744a1dbb3f1fa3d945.JPG

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 9