Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted

Love that little black spaniel.

I'm very much tied to my garden and will not succumb to a meander up the Glens.:closedeyes:

Absolute distancing here - break the chain as far as possible.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I've suddenly stopped getting emails from this forum. We had another dull cauld day here, sick of it.

• Like 2

Posted

and as we approach dusk you never guess what............skies starting to clear rather typical. Tomorrow could be nice though..............

• Like 4

Posted

Started to clear here at sunset as alluded by @NUT

The photo of Ben Lomond was taken from our house on the 30th of March. Doesn’t look that different this week. Enjoying have a camera that has a proper zoom function that actually zooms and stays in focus.

I was planning on painting a wall today but the really stained glass windowin cold easterly wind combined with laziness prevailed. Hats off to you folk further east who are bearing the brunt of this. You are taking one for the team like we do with the rain!

8BA6F0DC-AA0D-442D-94F0-A46047A01DCB.jpeg

7998EA43-6BCC-485B-873F-3F4133421AF2.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted

Cold and grey until late afternoon when the sun finally managed to break through, lifting temperatures to a max of 8c (in the morning was around 5c and with a fresh wind felt quite bitter).

Partially cloudy outside at the moment and temperature 4.1c.

Alas I doubt that there is going to be a fast turnaround for this virus situation, doctor friend is adamant that there will have to be a series of lockdowns for the rest of this year and a good part of next year (on the presumption that a effective vaccine actually comes out).  Goodness knows what the economy is going to be like at the end of it.  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
7 hours ago, Quinach said:

Alas I doubt that there is going to be a fast turnaround for this virus situation, doctor friend is adamant that there will have to be a series of lockdowns for the rest of this year and a good part of next year (on the presumption that a effective vaccine actually comes out).  Goodness knows what the economy is going to be like at the end of it.  

That's how I see it Quinach

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, mardatha said:

That's how I see it Quinach

Me too:nonono:

Unless, of course, the 'deadly' virus mutates and dies out before effective treatments or vaccinations are developed.

Some hope.

• Like 2

Posted

Ditto above.I think because we all of a similar age then we have seen similar  things in the past that lasted a long time. More youthful members want to see it over in a matter of weeks.We are in for the long haul. Comes across as a grumpy old farmer does" nt it

On a cheerful note this fine weather is making it  a pleasure for farm spring work. Spring barley is steadily emerging and grass is trying to grow in spite of another chilly start at 0c this morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
20 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I think a lot of people aren't understanding the virus and the fact that it is a problem we will have to learn to live with rather than something we can get rid of. Look at measles, it used to be one of the worst diseases but is now controlled a lot more. Even then it still kills 75,000 a year but it used to kill 2,600,000 a year as recently as 1980. 

A few folk even think COVID-19 is a type of weather!:oldlaugh:

• Like 2

Posted

Life does take on a bizarre slant these days ... I had a phone-call yesterday morning from a neighbour who lives 2-300yds away. He observed, 'BT Openreach are in my yard when they should have been in his' He went on to say, 'thank goodness you picked up the phone...I was thinking you'd been murdered'.

Mind, BT still can't explain why the neighbour will receive fibre broadband, and me not.

Posted

Started grey (predictably) but cloud's almost disappeared another lovely day (sounding familiar)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

The weather's all confused 

Screenshot_20200418-135045.png

• Like 2

Posted

Almost a rerun of yesterday, a grey morning with the cloud breaking up early afternoon. The sunshine is welcome but makes no difference to the temperature, just 8c in a cool easterly breeze! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
24 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

The sunshine is welcome but makes no difference to the temperature, just 8c in a cool easterly breeze! 

Typically Scottish here too i.e. warm feeling sun but cool breeze so overall effect depends on whether you are in the sun or not, and exposed to the breeze or not. In sun and sheltered from breeze and it feels more than passable for April. 

Got out for a food shop this morning, about the only thing we still can't find on the shelves now is flour. Didn't even have to queue to get in, but we were there at 9am.

Looks like I'm not back in school as expected on Monday as the particular kids I was going to be supporting aren't coming in after all. Not yet anyway. Oh well, just have to survive 'working from home' for a bit longer. Like most I expect this to be a long hail, with lots of on/off lockdown periods. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
7 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The lockdown drier spell continues:

738700724_Screenshot_20200418-094227_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.c41cd16776e3caef323eb1a1cb07576a.jpg

Another wet summer ahead post-lockdown as this cannot last.

I don't really mind the cold grey weather we get at times in the east. For many people four days of cloud or mist is far superior weather to four days of cloud & rain.  

Certainly quite different West to East. I quite like the rain, certainly a fan of humidity which it brings.

We need the rain, no doubt as you say July/August will be a write off

Yesterday at work in the far SW was 16/17c but today at home is meh.

Cloudy until about 1pm and quite a cool breeze. 13.5c the high, hopefully warmer tomorrow 

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 3

Posted

Fabulous sunny  afternoon with clear blu skies and moderate cool easterly breeze.Checking fences and sorting a couple of holes in the dykes so we can get cows and calve out sometime next week. Not a lot of grass but dry sunny weather good for them and we will feed silage every day to them until  the grass grows properly. Currently 10c

• Like 4

Posted

Clear blue skies all day but its cold air, max of 8c today in generally light winds.

In the sun felt perfect as long as the fleece was on, in the shade a tad chilly.

Beautiful evening for a walk, going to be another chilly one tonight as already down to 3c.

Come to the conclusion Sparrows are the bullies of the avian world, got some Coal Tits that keep investigating one of our bird boxes.  Every time they get close, they get mobbed by Sparrows, even though they cannot fit into the box in the first place.

Snag_7a1396.thumb.png.a224afe185bbfdfacbb7577ef21e0b37.png

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cloud broke up here mid morning and left clear blue skies. Max 11C. Always a cold breeze though and it felt cold again from late afternoon. Our end of the street had a social distancing drinks party from 4pm which broke up three hours later mostly because of the chill. Drinks got colder in the hand so ice was unnecessary.  

• Like 5

Posted

-0.2°C overnight making it my thirty eighth air frost. Crystal clear morning. Lyrid meteor shower picking up over next two nights so these skies should help enormously and with only a sliver of a crescent moon, this year might be a good one. 

• Like 9

Posted
16 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

4.4mm of rain in the last month roughly mid-March to mid-April:

1565787457_Screenshot_20200418-173905_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.09dfbbb85538a9f84f0f645af5e8107f.jpg

Has anywhere in Scotland been drier? A little game to pass some time in lockdown.

I make it 3.8mm at my local station (better known as St Monan’s rather than St Monance!). 

F38A112B-0D67-40A8-9603-FA2AF6F81F19.png

• Like 4

Posted

Sunny again ;) Just the breeze is niggling if there was no breeze around it'd be perfect

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Cracker of a day, wind much lighter. Already 12c, despite the breeze I think we’ll be making 17/18c by late afternoon

461E435B-5AF1-4D44-BB67-91C3B95CE056.jpeg

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Morning all!

I won’t add to the pictures already posted on this page - same as all the above here. (Blue sky)

Current temperature of 11c and looking at 16c this afternoon - wee bit of Spring warmth for a good few days ahead for many of us. 

That mythical weather land of Aboyne has done it again...very cold overnight.

Perfect Spring weather and I will take a repeat of Summer 2018 (heat and sunshine) or Summer 2019 (warmth and thunderstorms/convective weather) 

Summer 2018:

238CFABB-9362-41C2-A828-6C731C0AD886.thumb.gif.0941d250f71ef2f56d858777da120cba.gif23E87939-0023-4036-8D63-4AE02693CE72.thumb.gif.d929a2dd07842ec2dd0c93d41bed45d6.gif

Summer 2019:

F1A60CBB-A7AC-4C8C-A15C-436AB0622C9C.thumb.gif.b46eb233c85d3dc256ce0495b3a03b15.gifF0A82327-B3EB-4120-A0F9-B64AA734822E.thumb.gif.877eceba728cb246d748df677947d898.gif464BBE5C-7DE0-46BF-AF33-37477FD7D4AF.thumb.gif.1e9bb54435ab268a33c4117ee1e10df3.gif8A506CA0-4227-4FA6-A6EF-501F19390195.thumb.gif.25ebf07ffd86f30c8bf22870418fa572.gif

Summer 2019 was great for the above reasons, Autumn 2019 was great for the October and November below average months which had plenty of frosts, number of ice days and snowfall over higher ground. (Above average sunshine and below average rainfall here for the whole of Autumn)

As for Winter 2019/20...let’s pretend that never happened. 

Really enjoying most of our seasons nowadays! 

I’m off to enjoy the warmth/sunshine - have a good Sunday everyone.

• Like 4