Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

What a crap day this has turned out to be! Low cloud and minging fine heavy rain. Almost tempted to skip my hour's ration of beyond-the-gate activity!

• Like 5

Posted

Glorious morning and afternoon in Edinburgh, 17.5C at the moment. Here is a pic from my daily exercise today. Bright blue skies. The best April day we’ve had so far, at least in terms of sunshine. Last sunday was warmer, but the sun was often hazy with lots of high cloud around...

45C26602-4BD8-4183-9994-C9F5B8F1BDB3.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted

Fine morning  but has gone downhill this afternoon with heavy drizzle and occasionally moderate rain. Into sowing spring barley in the  last field after neeps with 480 horsepower between three tractors but in the end the heavier bursts of rain stopped the sower and young Mr Northernlights who was taking off stones leaving just the plough. Currently 7c so feeling a bit chilly in the moderate wind

005.JPG

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Cracking morning with no cloud and light winds. We even sat outside for a cup of tea around 10am and it felt very pleasant. As the day progressed however into the afternoon its got progressively cloudier and breezier, to the point it felt chilly. Still spent most of the day working on the garden though. 

• Like 4

Posted

Fantastic shots @Hawesy- look at that blue sky!

Has been the same here and we got to 17.5C.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Can't believe the pictures I'm seeing here. It's getting worse here - cloudbase pretty well at sea level now, possibly the poorest day of the year so far... and absolutely lashing against the east-facing windows.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted

Stunning day again. Shame it's downhill from here for a few days but at least may keep the numpties from congregating 

Magnolia tree starting to flower for first time since I planted it a few years ago 

20200407_125351.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Up to about 3 o clock it was glorious then eventually did cloud in but we had a much better day than expected. Unlikely tomorrow will be the same

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Looks like the next thundery risk is Friday, temps up to 18C in places and enough CAPE and instability only slight issue is the trigger, met office fax charts don’t have troughs / fronts until Saturday but I expect that to be corrected to Friday through tomorrow? 3C7C7A44-140D-4DB3-B314-40306746ACC6.thumb.png.3bd14179b84d016df6f2ec2485022de5.png6F1EF8E0-73D9-4A9D-8AD2-2F588D55629B.thumb.png.22a442678db484ae58d00038296f6eb1.png3D50AB57-02A7-44B7-A211-33CEBDE74A4D.thumb.png.75fd2e9a8b3b82f71ca80d625ba5c216.png44190F19-8C2B-4E6C-A705-11D19C67B9D8.thumb.gif.ee0c578797264d5200895607acaa65bf.gif

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The weather that @Hairy Celt and others had further North has reached here now. 8.5C with low cloud, a thick drizzle and Northeasterly breeze is quite a contrast from the 16C in bright sunshine up to late afternoon.

edit. Change that to quite heavy soaking rain and 7.8C

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 7

Posted

A day of two seasons.

Morning was gorgeous with plenty sunshine, light winds and a new high temperature for the year for here at 16c - a summers day.

Then autumn arrived abruptly in the early afternoon with cloud rapidly rolling in leading to a wet evening and plummeting temperatures - was 16c just after noon but was down to 5c at teatime.

Currently 3.9c so its going to be a cold night.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Yesterday was what I can only describe as utter pish! Low cloud and drizzle, cool and clammy. Morphed into an absolutely beautiful evening so I took a turn around the garden deciding which of the smallish jobs I should tackle first. Too many to choose from, but I'll hopefully make a start today. Weather better this morning, sun trying to break through light cloud, very calm, temp hovering around the 6.5 - 7c mark. If it stays like this over the next few days I should get quite a bit done but I promise not to overdo it! Dreading the Easter break, plenty of touroids already here and I'd bet my last quid there's more on the way! I really hope there will be a police presence at the bridge soon to turn back holiday makers and camper vans. We really don't need them right now!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Glorious day yesterday (well most of it) so glad we live on the edge of town and have plenty of quiet trails to walk on. I keep thinking how different this experience would be if I still lived in Cornwall. My last home was in Truro which was a great place to live at the time but you needed to drive for any decent walks. Loving all the moon pictures. 

DSC_1230.JPG

DSC_1229.JPG

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Luminous bright mist up here, 9C. A gentle soft morning so far.

• Like 6

Posted

Back to grey skies/breeze/drizzle..............Pish basically

• Like 5

Posted

Bit pish earlier but brightening up a bit now. The good weather recently has been very welcome. I can only imagine this lockdown situation with the endless wet weather we experienced earlier in the year! I'd go cycling regardless in the evenings but getting the kids outside and exercised is a daily requirement and this is making it so much easier. They are in a routine now and the first thing they ask in the morning is "where are we walking/cycling to today". How long their goodwill lasts is anyone's guess 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
41 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Bit pish earlier but brightening up a bit now. The good weather recently has been very welcome. I can only imagine this lockdown situation with the endless wet weather we experienced earlier in the year! I'd go cycling regardless in the evenings but getting the kids outside and exercised is a daily requirement and this is making it so much easier. They are in a routine now and the first thing they ask in the morning is "where are we walking/cycling to today". How long their goodwill lasts is anyone's guess 

Longing to get out for a walk and enjoy the weather. But son is triply immune suppressed, wife his main carer. Not allowed to go out and it looks like this will be the case for many weeks to come

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, DR(S)NO said:

Longing to get out for a walk and enjoy the weather. But son is triply immune suppressed, wife his main carer. Not allowed to go out and it looks like this will be the case for many weeks to come

My sympathies to you .My son with a kidney transplant 11 years ago means we are stuck at home but we are fortunate that he can get out to work on the farm with wide open spaces. We have to have supplies delivered in but here it just feels  just like foot and mouth(cattle) from 2001. Have got the old post  out from 2001 out again.

First  farm buisness hiccup will probably be us not being able to sell breeding heifers next week but an online sale using video looks as though it may happen later. 

Aurora Storm gave me a link to this professor who I think talks a lot of sense. https://twitter.com/devisridhar.

Very cold overnight at 1.5c  early am but overcast

• Like 8

Posted

Bit of a contrast to yesterday. Gone are the blue skies and sunshine, replaced by cool and grey cloudy skies courtesy of an easterly breeze. About 9c cooler than yesterday at 7c! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Well it’s an interesting one for tomorrow, will there ever be a straight forward thundery forecast I doubt it

fax charts still not bringing fronts in so I wonder if it could be a rare day of home grown cells, basically the way the charts are looking suggest to me that lifting from southern uplands will help cells develop also wrf 2km shows little surface based CAPE but enough MUCAPE which means elevated cells which especially in the summer are the more lightning producers, still don’t think there will be any big storms but probably edging more into the thunderstorm category rather than thundery shower. Looks like I could be well placed here with most runs showing a cell over Fife and a few other cells scattered across the country. Also temperatures showing a 20 C eastern borders, 19 C through central belt and up near Inverness. 6245D877-51CA-46AC-BB87-9C7A9BC179A8.thumb.gif.f3856a8a4667c9526c7bfd926f39fd33.gifEC051F9A-0783-48BA-ACDF-13EE9D00E613.thumb.png.30c067531e780d2e61c34779ad0cf493.png843998E3-E096-4EA2-B27B-9E5D4B2FFB3D.thumb.gif.c6422cd27f7bc014fa8e9ee1f0818ca2.gifFEBE52A9-913B-4662-81DA-AC663697C004.thumb.gif.a309dc4a6952b5f9edbf8bb52fe89073.gif

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Aurora Storm gave me a link to this professor who I think talks a lot of sense. https://twitter.com/devisridhar.

That doctor is excellent NL, I follow her on Twitter.

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, mardatha said:

That doctor is excellent NL, I follow her on Twitter.

And @Northernlights

She does talk with knowledge, experience and sense - I linked to her a while back on one of the main virus threads, but I don't think it went down too well.:oldmellow:

Under a grey sky today, cool, 8C with a slight E/SE breeze.

Remaining under strict isolation.

• Like 1

Posted

I haven't seen any virus threads - but I just discovered Twitter and am now finding it makes me reallyreallyREALLY crabbit so maybe am best staying on the weather one

• Like 3