Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Re the fire risk in places. Barra just a couple of days ago.

6965AAEB-1658-4B78-81CB-D5AB7402209D.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

Seen that the other day - shocking.

What is Muirburn? (Excuse my ignorance as I have no idea about this kind of thing!)

Information suggests it was a crofter who did not follow the rules?

Edit: Thanks @Norrance for the explanation below - learned something new! Much appreciated.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted

Been a few nice dry days with about half spring barley sown and sheep back to Skye. Got a lot colder today with quite a number of small wintry showers across the Firth to the north some of which made it as far as us. This made for a wintry looking sunset just now across the Firth. Currently 3c so frost looking likely

001.thumb.JPG.2f8fae14f2271594ab1a3c1d636cefc8.JPG002.thumb.JPG.40b21d17f17e99a5782e719ca1374cb7.JPG003.thumb.JPG.765b67a1adc742c058de0fe674cd6c71.JPG

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
2 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Seen that the other day - shocking.

What is Muirburn? (Excuse my ignorance as I have no idea about this kind of thing!)

Information suggests it was a crofter who did not follow the rules?

Burning the old heather to allow fresh berries and shoots for the grouse. Often gets out if control. Used to go heather burning during Easter holidays when at school in Highland Perthshire in my teens. Just takes a bit of wind to get up and easily gets out of control. Once the peat underneath gets going it is very difficult to stop as it keeps coming back and burns at a very high temp. Remember one year near me a fire took six weeks to put out completely. When you got home from the heather burning you were black from head to toe underneath no matter what you were wearing. 

• Like 6

Posted

Heather burning around my parts (no joke intended *snigger*) at the beginning of the week. Remarkable how we've gone from the most waterlogged ground in memory to wildfires in less than three weeks. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

One from yesterday on the beach with Ms HC    heart.thumb.jpg.e5d7cb561853cf160dcaaa8672f7499d.jpg  not sure if you'll be able to read the text but the message is plain and intended for everyone

then this was this evening just out at about 7 coming back up by some very shrubby gardens currant.thumb.jpg.04a7433b5bceaea73947289eee201f1d.jpg  

• Like 8

Posted

Well, that was unexpected - the biennial appearance of a northerly gale.

Downright stormy in the morning with the trampoline bobbing up and down disconcertingly, just as well the winter tethers were still in place.

Amazed the local farmer kept sowing seeds through all this as literal sandstorms were coming off the fields - the machine must place the seeds a good way into the soil.

Reminded me of the sandstorms you passed through heading into Elgin on the A96 from the east, ah the memories as that area is now a Travelodge and fledgling business park.

Anyway, copious amounts of sunshine accompanying the gale and cold with a max of 6c.  Going to be a cold night, already down to 0c outside.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 8

Posted
4 hours ago, Norrance said:

Having just recently moved away from Barra last year the fires would happen every year I lived there and most of the time always gets out of control about 2 years ago the island saw the worst fire in a long time someone started a fire and just left it uncontrolled the wind direction made the fire move across the island over hills and far away from any of the main roads which made it difficult for the fire crew to try and put it out. The fire the next morning reached the North end of the island and was closing in on some houses the fire crew from Uist another island came over on the ferry and the local airport fire engine also helped out to finally stop it. Apart from some fences being burnt no one was injured and no serious damage was done. There are people on the island that do it the proper way and keep it under control but often it's just one careless group of people that cause the fires to get out of control.

• Like 5

Posted

-1c start to the day with blue skies and scattered snow flurries. A selection of photos showing the showers to the north and the hills emerging from the cloud covered  in fresh snow right down to the sea even on the cliffs at Dunbeath. 003.thumb.JPG.a74519be3a8c0eb5b39e0be6860dcc46.JPG004.thumb.JPG.fcef658458594654e37010f7ebfd7ce4.JPG007.thumb.JPG.ed6bf1b06416294924b3fd4fe72c04b8.JPG010.thumb.JPG.e8d5c3c6e6cb0dac8ea07e79cf199053.JPG011.thumb.JPG.617fcbae715f8cd73c288f4391be48c9.JPG

Ben Wyvis also emerging from a snow shower.006.thumb.JPG.dd650dc07739dcdbe7a69c9eb2e90cbe.JPG

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

From snow to 17 C in a few days, wouldn’t want Scottish weather any other way would we?  

Possibly an 18 C near @CatchMyDrift if it keeps going it will be taps after weather  25BA1FF7-5D17-4CB6-BBB0-A4A588806366.thumb.jpeg.eb433d961382a135ba83e554e5388ee1.jpegFE409951-3E2B-48A6-9224-52102885AD19.thumb.jpeg.11a87a5bc40a683c56a92bc105d92870.jpeg

now looks like the front will be too slow moving for any thundery stuff but that means better chance of higher temps.

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

No-one wants to see me with my top off so let's hope it isn't too warm down this way Definitely looks good for a high teens here. 18C doesn't look at all ridiculous given the southerly wind direction with a small Föhn effect off the Cheviots. The biggest challenge is going to be a possible lack of sunshine, can't tell for sure until closer to the time.

think it will feel quite humid too with 10/11 C dew points and as you say if there is some cloud too, pity it isn’t June / July could have been a decent mini thundery plume  6AC80AF4-ECEE-4502-84F0-B2D53C6C61C7.thumb.jpeg.2afaf90242a2399c06a25b7896876a85.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

• Like 2

Posted

We got out for a walk this morning just as the cloud was rolling in.  A total contrast to the snowy scenes above!

This view is looking west from near the top of the Hill of Fortrose. I must have looked out here hundreds of times and never thought to take a photo before. There may be more now...     west.thumb.jpg.6abf8c4270d2b76c41e0153620873c6e.jpg    

Anyone else finding their days filled with finding new ways to do things or just plain doing weird lemon you'd never have imagined before?  Washing the shopping ;)

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
20 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

We got out for a walk this morning just as the cloud was rolling in.  A total contrast to the snowy scenes above!

This view is looking west from near the top of the Hill of Fortrose. I must have looked out here hundreds of times and never thought to take a photo before. There may be more now...     west.thumb.jpg.6abf8c4270d2b76c41e0153620873c6e.jpg    

Anyone else finding their days filled with finding new ways to do things or just plain doing weird lemon you'd never have imagined before?  Washing the shopping ;)

I keep making lists of things to do, then just not doing them Suspect I'll be one of those people who doesn't come out of quarantine with a gleaming house. Plenty of books getting read though. 

• Like 6

Posted

Well well well further upgrades on temperatures for tomorrow it could indeed be taps aff I wonder if a 20C could be reached? Looks like 2 zones, one around / near the borders / @CatchMyDrift then another Edinburgh, Fife, Perth 

9E18948F-B53D-498E-AA76-763490ECEC0E.thumb.png.361cc919e0c2c25125b43512294eead9.png7BB48A47-CB7A-44A0-88DD-6ABD4B7D9264.thumb.jpeg.eb76b0a776120d0ed397e355b174d5d6.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Currently a high of 9C here and dull drizzle

• Like 3

Posted

A bit milder here too at 8c.Mostly dull but dry.

As   I have said before the mountains especially to the west will  carry  long lasting scars of the very stormy snowy February they had. Can only just  see the mountains to the west in the middle of this photo.002.thumb.JPG.88b4cfd5665e06e72e57806dc8326f43.JPG

Ben Wyvis too will have scars of snow well into the summer.001.thumb.JPG.a0e07786fdabfbf48a0388f65019b423.JPG

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Posted
RUxNODU2MTg0NzY=.jpg
WWW.FIFETODAY.CO.UK

With the centre of Kirkcaldy on lockdown due to the coronavirus crisis we look back to another time when the High Street was...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Niceish day today, never realised how nice the A77 is with views over to Ailsa Craig. 
Very little traffic moving and most people still complying with the guidelines

Anticipating 17/18 maybe in my sheltered corner at home tomorrow, we shall see

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 3

Posted
57 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The Euro4 looks decent for many of us to have our warmest day since September:

62545816_Screenshot_20200404-194541_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.f4bb76484fbfe838edf011c35cb1c4c1.jpg

The NE looks like it's going to have a day of North Sea skank though

Groovy. I have a day near Wick tomorrow :wallbash:after today in the hills with full on dreich and drizzle this morning :blink2: .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

9c and cloudy here ,least wind has dropped off for now

• Like 2

Posted

Hazy sun here but no real warmth 8.5C. North Sea having a bit of influence though no noticeable breeze from an Easterly quadrant.

edit. Now there is a district strong breeze from the East and it is a cold one. Temp up to 10C but feels more like it has gone down.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 2