Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted

Starting to think next week will be less bright that i anticipated...a great deal of cloud around according to models, often around midday too, despite the high pressure. Possibly some wintry showers on saturday/sunday?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Hoping like hell it is a bug snowidea. But he just came back from two weeks working in London.

I just want some nice warm sunny weather. Could I put in an order for 6 months of it please? Delivery asap!

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, SW Saltire said:

Car was reading 18c today, felt really pleasant in the sun (True temp probs about 15/16c - albeit Cumbria registered 18c I note)

Most people are also heeding the social distancing which is very good. Eerily quiet in certain places.

Fingers crossed the next three weeks makes a difference

According to ICL the virus will peak in the UK in around 14 days. Today there are reports that some hospitals are already at capacity with IC beds.

Beginning to think the UK lockdown should have happened sooner and been more robust.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
33 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

According to ICL the virus will peak in the UK in around 14 days. Today there are reports that some hospitals are already at capacity with IC beds.

Beginning to think the UK lockdown should have happened sooner and been more robust.

Yes it’s not good, particularly how Italy seem to only be seeing a plateau of sorts. Spain is still rising quickly and I feel like France locked down before us and yet their situation continues to worsen.

I do feel sorry for those in New York though. 

We just have to hope and do what we can. Luckily I live rurally so it’s easy to avoid going stir crazy. 
I’m relaxed though as one of the bosses said in a morning briefing in response to a question regarding lack of PPE - ‘You’re all at risk. You signed a contract saying you’d go into places that others are running away from. You get paid good money so go deal with it’ and I fully agree. 

I hear too many people making excuses in other public sector organisations. Imagine expecting to get full pay and sit at home, surely it’s obvious you’ll get asked to plug the gaps.  

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I'm calm and fine with things really - but I rely on online deliveries from Sainsbugs, have had a weekly delivery for years. Now the site is refusing to give me anything because I'm not identified as vulnerable. Tells me to click on this link and register, I try it and it tells me it only applies to England. I can;t find out where or how to register in Scotland. So I'm not sure what to do next as I can't walk round a big store, just not physically able to.

• Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Yes it’s not good, particularly how Italy seem to only be seeing a plateau of sorts. Spain is still rising quickly and I feel like France locked down before us and yet their situation continues to worsen.

I do feel sorry for those in New York though. 

We just have to hope and do what we can. Luckily I live rurally so it’s easy to avoid going stir crazy. 
I’m relaxed though as one of the bosses said in a morning briefing in response to a question regarding lack of PPE - ‘You’re all at risk. You signed a contract saying you’d go into places that others are running away from. You get paid good money so go deal with it’ and I fully agree. 

I hear too many people making excuses in other public sector organisations. Imagine expecting to get full pay and sit at home, surely it’s obvious you’ll get asked to plug the gaps.  

Its frustrating to read our brave NHS giys and girls dont have the PPE they need to carry out their work as safely as possible. I really  hope this issue is sorted out quickly.

Found this article suggesting the UK lockdown is 10 days to late.

skynews-coronavirus-uk-crowded-london-tu
NEWS.SKY.COM

Walter Ricciardi, who called Italy's lockdown, tells Sky News the UK is at risk of a worse infection rate than his home country.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

with apologies if you've already seen this a million times, but it tickled me...  pooh.thumb.jpg.7b160950a96dfd2a3eb369288dbab761.jpg  , 

I hear accounts of public sector workers putting in long shifts trying to reallocate resources, making sure vulnerable people are safe, then going home and checking on elderly neighbours etc. Some folk are rising to the challenges in extraordinary ways already.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

Its frustrating to read our brave NHS giys and girls dont have the PPE they need to carry out their work as safely as possible. I really  hope this issue is sorted out quickly.

Found this article suggesting the UK lockdown is 10 days to late.

skynews-coronavirus-uk-crowded-london-tu
NEWS.SKY.COM

Walter Ricciardi, who called Italy's lockdown, tells Sky News the UK is at risk of a worse infection rate than his home country.

What we can say with confidence is I doubt this will be over in the next 2/3 weeks. 
However it’s hard to say what trajectory we are on (ie as bad as Italy and now Spain) imo. I think to some degree we can overanalyse the situation, if we all do our bit we will come through this. 
If that means folk need the jail then so be it haha but doubt it’ll come to that

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Peeplings from ( for the second day in a row! :yahoo:) a very sunny Skye! It was just gorgeous yesterday, although not too warm so I did my once weekly supermarket run for myself and also a friend. Have to report that the Co-op in Broadford was pretty well stocked, better than I thought it would be. It's impossible to practice social distancing in there as the aisles are simply too narrow, but folks were trying their best. Only shelf gaps I could see were the obligatory bog roll, kitchen roll and paper hankies, no evaporated milk, ( Scandalous! It's what I have on my porridge of a morning! :nonono:), very little pasta, but I did manage to get two packs of macaroni. Plenty of fresh produce reduced too so I got a couple of bargains. Then home to my friends house for a sociable, but  discreetly distant, cup of tea and shortbread!  A walk will be the order of the day today, something I've not been able to do much of recently. Making the most of it while it lasts! 

• Like 8

Posted

Horrible weather the last few days. Drizzly, misty pish! I hate a slack easterly at this time of year. Days on end of depressing muck!

Hope you are all doing OK! I must admit I'm struggling with trying to do a full days work from home and also home school 3 kids. Mum is out working as her school is open for key workers kids. Can't grumble too much though as her role is essential in helping the even more essential others in the health service etc. stay working. This first week is trying to find a balance which, so far, isn't being found

I have enjoyed my daily cycle into the Pentlands in the evenings. I'm looking forward to that more than anything at the minute as it's good for my head. It's dark and very quiet up there - with a good light on the bike it's perfect! Seen some deer and owls last few nights which is a nice bonus

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 6

Posted
17 hours ago, shuggee said:

2nd April 2018 and 3rd April 2019:

IMG_20180402_163727.jpg

IMG_20190403_063357.jpg

4th April 2020???

4th April 2018

IMG_20180404_164855-1392x1856.jpg.1791f45725cbfb0b491e5cbc0da98b45.thumb.jpg.ee7cca3ac808d06d141c108b81ba6cc4.jpg

IMG_20180404_164558-1392x1856.jpg.d4df31a539a2693314367ce626e0d0e0.thumb.jpg.1bcfa6e55ecf6db31a3215f38757c835.jpg

IMG_20180404_164901-1856x1392.jpg.e1478e1583747baa991eec1405ff7f22.thumb.jpg.717da8217148e04aa753bdb3d5445dca.jpg

IMG_20180404_183301-1392x1856.thumb.jpg.c3039e9782a3893e0a1c53e5d61beb23.jpg.16fb2067a50d47a47cc687e6d7a13189.jpg

IMG_20180404_195242-1392x1856.jpg.03557746521754fbb3ff68d2b405c7bd.thumb.jpg.0b1c37300d26a166cfa823591e101862.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, 101_North said:

Horrible weather the last few days. Drizzly, misty pish! I hate a slack easterly at this time of year. Days on end of depressing muck!

Hope you are all doing OK! I must admit I'm struggling with trying to do a full days work from home and also home school 3 kids. Mum is out working as her school is open for key workers kids. Can't grumble too much though as her role is essential in helping the even more essential others in the health service etc. stay working. This first week is trying to find a balance which, so far, isn't being found

I have enjoyed my daily cycle into the Pentlands in the evenings. I'm looking forward to that more than anything at the minute as it's good for my head. It's dark and very quiet up there - with a good light on the bike it's perfect! Seen some deer and owls last few nights which is a nice bonus

I agree, i’m sick of this miserable non-weather. Don’t look at the met office forecast, never seen so many black clouds on the forecast for days and days to come

• Like 2

Posted

Just rolls of grey cloud here at present.

Actually, anything better than gales, storms, snow  and rain would be appreciated. Of course a smidgeon of sun (vitD) would benefit us, the poor scots.

Today, I have dusted off the violin cases, retrieved from the hinderparts of cupboards, 6 bars of nice hand-crafted bars of soap and several tubes/bottles of bath/shower gel etc from Xmas pressies from yore. :closedeyes: and that's all before I start on the Fairy Liquid hand-wash..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Drizzly here this morning but improved as the day went on. Hardly a cloud in the sky now. 

• Like 2

Posted

Fine blue sky day here. Very clear arctic air with few small showers to the north over the Firth.Wind was light between N and E. Fabulous spring day warm in sun and in tractor cab but cool in shade. Currently 6c

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
7 hours ago, 101_North said:

4th April 2018

IMG_20180404_164855-1392x1856.jpg.1791f45725cbfb0b491e5cbc0da98b45.thumb.jpg.ee7cca3ac808d06d141c108b81ba6cc4.jpg

IMG_20180404_164558-1392x1856.jpg.d4df31a539a2693314367ce626e0d0e0.thumb.jpg.1bcfa6e55ecf6db31a3215f38757c835.jpg

IMG_20180404_164901-1856x1392.jpg.e1478e1583747baa991eec1405ff7f22.thumb.jpg.717da8217148e04aa753bdb3d5445dca.jpg

IMG_20180404_183301-1392x1856.thumb.jpg.c3039e9782a3893e0a1c53e5d61beb23.jpg.16fb2067a50d47a47cc687e6d7a13189.jpg

IMG_20180404_195242-1392x1856.jpg.03557746521754fbb3ff68d2b405c7bd.thumb.jpg.0b1c37300d26a166cfa823591e101862.jpg

4th April 2019 produced a gust front and thundery shower here. 

A03A6799-63F9-4651-88AA-DC1D96A26C89.thumb.jpeg.9ee5c09b48f4e7169c8e6e5f057ae5eb.jpeg4F810CA8-23BB-4FD8-AAC8-CC96546EC778.thumb.jpeg.f9d2e6aa651980ea08171be9bdf53bd6.jpeg
Last week or so has had plenty of sunny dry weather here (typical you get good weather and you can’t go out and enjoy it ) Looks like some big tornadoes in Illinois tomorrow will be updating this thread 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Fine blue sky day here. Very clear arctic air with few small showers to the north over the Firth.Wind was light between N and E. Fabulous spring day warm in sun and in tractor cab but cool in shade. Currently 6c

Anything but fine blue sky day here. East coast murk.....but it's just notched down to 4.9C, which is the first time in 26 hours that it hasn't been 5.something!

• Like 4

Posted

Depressingly overcast for most of the day and noticeably colder than recently with a max of 7c.

But then a clearance from the NE leaving clear blue skies for the last hour of daylight - what a difference it makes to everyone's mood when the sun is out.

Calm and dry throughout.

The species Narcissus are now in full bloom (variety is Jetfire, common as muck but a good reliable variety here unlike the larger varieties that really struggle for some reason). 

Still to see any bees of any variety to take advantage of all the flowering bulbs.

Snag_329c0ff.thumb.png.b8f837d847687dff7e31c0330dc34456.png

• Like 4

Posted
6 hours ago, Quinach said:

Still to see any bees of any variety to take advantage of all the flowering bulbs.

Still too cold for honey bees most days. Ours ventured out of the hives for a bit earlier in the week when we had some decent max temps, but not for long.

Not seen a bumblebee yet though. I'd have expected to have seen at least see the odd big queen out foraging or looking for somewhere to nest as they will fly in cooler temperatures. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 5

Posted

Wintry showers rattling through this morning on a strong wind. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Ravelin said:

Wintry showers rattling through this morning on a strong wind. 

Aye, looks like snow this evening.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Wet hail here a while ago. Otherwise just a cold grey & breezy morning with just a few small blue patches now and again.

• Like 3

Posted

After the miserable week ahead, looks like some very significant rainfall could be heading our way in the longer term. Low pressure blocked from moving east, with south-westerlies over the UK, in particular scotland. As if we needed more rain. 

3B26FC57-2A55-4EA9-AB8B-9E5168DD34FF.png

• Like 1