Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
47 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

All five Scottish ski centres have taken the decision to close for the season due to coronavirus.

That is a shame despite great conditions at all (bar the Lecht). No choice in the circumstances though. If someone had an accident up there it would take away probably much needed emergency resources.

• Like 7

Posted

Very cold  start to the day at -5c with a sunny start. Then it became overcast and very windy. Not a great day to be working outside. Currently still very  cold and windy at 5c.

Ground dryng out but still wet underneath and in sheltered areas. No hurry to sow crops with such low air and soil temperatures. Young Mr Northernlights taking stones off today and will try to get lime spread next week. No grass growing and all livestock on full winter diet. Had a feeling for a long time that this spring would be cold.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Posted

No frost last night but on the highest Southern Uplands visible locally there was a dusting of snow this morning through to midday. Saw this cheeky wee fella on our daily walk:

IMG_20200321_134604.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
27 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Round about this time most years I start to notice caravans and campervans appearing on Highland roads, and have a quiet resigned 'here we go again' moment.

This year I'm just plain astonished then very cross that anyone should be travelling around for the hell of it now. I can see there are pros and cons but we are now 2 weeks behind Italy so anyone reading this thinking of any unnecessary travel - the advice from the government and health service is quite simple - just don't.

The day stayed grey today....

Just found this on BBC news, seems your concerns, justified, are shared.

BBC News - Coronavirus: People urged not to visit Highlands to flee virus

_111382918_campers.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Communities urge those trying to escape the city not to travel north to avoid the coronavirus outbreak.

• Like 5

Posted
20 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Round about this time most years I start to notice caravans and campervans appearing on Highland roads, and have a quiet resigned 'here we go again' moment.

This year I'm just plain astonished then very cross that anyone should be travelling around for the hell of it now. I can see there are pros and cons but we are now 2 weeks behind Italy so anyone reading this thinking of any unnecessary travel - the advice from the government and health service is quite simple - just don't.

I agree, and maybe was I guilty as well last Thursday tripping up to the Glens. The roads were very quiet and at least 50% of the traffic was camper/motorhome vehicles.

However, I did take a packed lunch that day and on home purchased from the very local shop, just milk and a loaf of organic brown bread (newly baked that morning) so I was told, and which the owner/manager was pressing me to buy.

• Like 5

Posted

For far to many, the message isn't getting through: Completely retarded.

BBC News - Coronavirus: Seaside visitors defy social distancing advice

_111381093_hove.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

One beach has been forced to shut, while a police commissioner calls for arcades to close.

Edited by Sceptical

Posted

Grassmarket, Edinburgh 2pm (from a pal):

IMG-20200321-WA0000.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

deleted

Edited by ciel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

I quoted in the corona virus thread that a pal from Argyll mentioned that through the week they had two tour buses  filled with pensioners stopped in the village. Another who runs the village shop in Kenmore noticed loads of camper vans in the area, many calling in for supplies and not keeping safe Social distances. Until the pubs closed they too were busy with early CV tourists. The fact that the caravan sites and timeshares are open does not help.

Pleas from the MPs up in the Hebridies.

391DDD00-4C2A-4CD5-82CE-B2F8386905BB.png

• Like 8

Posted

Cold, grey but dry with very fleeting glimpses of the sun in the afternoon.

Max of 8c but it felt a lot colder than that in the brisk wind.

Just praying for a good spring and summer of weather (and maybe autumn, gulp); kids at each others throats already and its only day one of the shut-in.  

Home schooling from Monday is going to be fun (honest) - impressed actually at how well the local school has been in getting things organised considering the short notice they got.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
3 hours ago, Quinach said:

Home schooling from Monday is going to be fun (honest) - impressed actually at how well the local school has been in getting things organised considering the short notice they got.

There were some very tired teachers by Friday evening. I'm relatively new at it but my wife has been doing it for much longer and she said today it's the most exhausted she's ever felt due to work. 

I think most/all schools are having staff meetings on Monday morning. Hopefully we'll get some clarity on how things are going to work going forward as it's severely lacking at the moment, understandably. 

On our trip to Ayrshire and back we were also surprised to see quite a few motorhomes on the road, and at least one caravan. The Caravan and Camping Club still have most sites open, but all thier facility blocks are closed so you'd need to use your on board facilities for pooping, peeing and washing. 

Weather across the country was bland today. Cool, dry but largely cloudy. Looks like a brief warm up coming mid week followed by a chilly weekend again. Rain likely to be rare. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 6

Posted

-1.4°C overnight, so thirty fifth air frost. Lovely sunny start to the day - chickens seem happy. I'll be happy if tesco has some chicken left later. 

• Like 4

Posted
38 minutes ago, shuggee said:

-1.4°C overnight, so thirty fifth air frost. Lovely sunny start to the day - chickens seem happy. I'll be happy if tesco has some chicken left later. 

Must confess, I started salivating when I read this post. Chickens and loo roll are the new gold/gods.

Weather wise, its lovely. Sat outside, well wrapped up, cup of coffe in hand. Sunny with temperature around 5C.

Not a soul going about, a few cars and a cyclist is all I've seen in the last couple of hours. Hopefully it stays that way!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

Another nice sunny day this is more like it...cold start though.

I saw this on the charts for next weekend...if it comes off that'll be a bitter wind.

Annotation 2020-03-22 111948.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Another breezy cool  overcast day with a temperature of 7c   currently.

Mrs Northernlights was down early today in Sainsburys for her father and came back saying that they had most things but there was now a new isle that had been stripped. She aked me to guess and I got  it in two, now its the great booze stock up along with toilet rolls.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I must be sitting on a gold mine. We managed to get 40 rolls of loo roll from an office cleaning supplies company and I've got a whole chicken & a pack of chicken in the freezer.

Excellent.

Local co-op this morning 7am.

No milk, no loo rolls, not much veg, no blueberries (devastated). 

I did manage to get Chicken....sort off. Chicken Cojouns.....they look a bit ropey and I'm considering leaving them out for the farm cats.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Role reversal here this morning. My daughter is home and wouldn't let us go to the shop so off she went at 8AM. Problem is she only picked up what was on my wife's shopping list and didn't think of things that we usually pick up automatically like milk, bread and rolls plus loo roll. When asked "it wasn't on the list". No problems with anything else though and she brought back chicken, mince and veg amongst other non food items. 
Back to clear and frosty here this morning. -0.5C min. Light breeze and pure sunshine.

Gorgeous photo of the NW Highlands taken from Lewis on the Western Isles weather page yesterday.

85132B74-F703-44CC-A27D-E3DE24D5BFB9.jpeg

That is a stunning picture

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I think we could all be doing with some early heat given what is going on.

• Like 1

Posted

Lots of hazy sunshine today but still feeling darned cold thanks to the brisk wind (max of 7c).

Surprised at the number of people out walking the local fields, incurring the wrath of the farmer going by the raised voices and language I was hearing!

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 2

Posted

Weather has been nice the past few days. Back to windy and wet from tomorrow, although still unclear just how far SE the fronts will push. At the moment next weekend is looking very bright as the winds turn from the north, but cold. Until then, damp, miserable and windy for us all. Hopefully it will put off people from going out. 

• Like 2