Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted

Met Office automated forecast fails again - max of 8c they said, in reality just over 12c at lunchtime and currently still a respectable 10c.

Bit of sunshine first thing in the morning but now overcast (though dry).

Wind much lighter than yesterday so feeling quite pleasant outside.

Birds ravenous at the moment, going through two feeders worth a day.

• Like 3

Posted

Raining but not even bothered about the weather at the moment and the impending higher pressure on the way. Just hope this blown over sooner rather than later things can get back so some sort of normality

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Hubby and I to work from home for foreseeable future. Not going to end well as we fight over sons spare monitor. 

Weather a bit meh just now but really beyond caring. 

Keep safe all (if any of you read Pratchett - we're living in interesting times). 

• Like 5

Posted

My entire office will start working from home as of tomorrow. People were literally running out the door this afternoon with laptops, PCs and monitors. Hard to be anything but pessimistic knowing what we're facing.

Stay healthy all!

• Like 5

Posted

Came back after an errand for my father in law in Inverness today and thought we would do some shopping. Never saw the supermarkets so empty.

Dull and damp north of Inverness but dry here most of daylight hours.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I'll be surprised if they don't announce the schools closing soon. Wife reckons pupil numbers were around 30% down at her school yesterday already, and staff numbers dropping too as people self isolate. My school isn't too bad, I was down 1 pupil out of 8 who won't be back any time soon. Staffing will be 'awkward' soon. Alford Primary has closed due to staff shortages already, as have a couple of schools in Moray. 

On the up side, a nice day when out in the sun yesterday. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 3

Posted

Hello, hope everyone on here is doing ok in these strange days .. here is hoping it will pass soon .. anyhoo back to the weather we have had rain , sleet and epic hail ! And then blue skies  typical Scottish spring day 

96AE4F22-0746-428C-B97E-84C178BF9080.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted

Recent showers have been quite wintry - rain, hail and sleet. Not much else to add - dung times. Stay safe folks. 

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

^ Yep some sun and some showers here. Hope you guys are OK (and everyone else too) @CatchMyDrift  and a truly historic decision (and obviously the correct one) never been cancelled / postponed in the 700 + years it has been running and just a short walk from me "The origins for the Links Market can be traced back more than 700 years, and it is thought that it has never been cancelled in living memory."  

b25lY21zOjQyZTIwM2FiLWM4MmMtNGQzZC1hYTY0
WWW.FIFETODAY.CO.UK

Kirkcaldy’s Links Market has been postponed due to the coronavirus, in a move that comes less than 24 hours after bosses behind the event said a decision would be made in April.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

Recent showers have been quite wintry - rain, hail and sleet. Not much else to add - dung times. Stay safe folks. 

Same here - currently sleety snow. Howling wind too. :cold:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Wow, wasn't like that up here, wish it had been!

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely sunny day spoiled by a keen and bitterly cold Westerly wind.  Max of 9c and its going to be a cold night, down to 2c already.

Kids utterly delighted at getting off school "we're on holiday until the end of summer".

The innocence of childhood.

In all the gloom, parts of this twitter thread made me laugh - link

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 3

Posted

Cooler today and ground seriously drying up in the strong wind.Hope it continues. Mostly sunny all day, long may it continue to cheer up everyone.

We spent morning trying to convince .87 year old father in law to self isolate  Went to supermarket for him but could n"t  get  exactly what  he wanted and he refused our substitutes.  This is going to be a long year.  All the best to everyone on here.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, Quinach said:

Kids utterly delighted at getting off school "we're on holiday until the end of summer".

I told my son "on the quiet" that teacher had been told that the government are in discussions with Microsoft and Sony to disable online gaming for under 16s between 9am and 3pm weekdays (false) . After all even if the schools are closed us teachers are still working from home and are expected to be supplying the pupils with work for them to complete (true). Quite how well that will work in practice remains to be seen, probably not very well.

Of course he didn't believe me, knows me too well.

Still not sure either if we might be required to do other duties, like helping keep at least some provision open for the children of essential workers even if it isn't at our normal school. We might even be required to still go into work at our normal school on occasions. The details of the decision are still sketchy, especially on whether exams in Scotland will go ahead. 

Oh, chilly start to the day and kept a nip to the air even if it was gloriously sunny. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Sunny but very cold in the wind. :cold: Then a couple of nasty little showers mid afternoon.

The UK is ruled by idiots for idiots and a lot more of us are going to suffer because of them.  And the idiots who won't do the really obvious distancing. Folk stood around gossiping in little groups - no-one knows who's infected and these folk don't seem to care.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cool breeze here but lots of sunshine and just a couple of showers. Max of 7C.

Had a pleasant walk along the West beach at St Andrews this afternoon. Took advantage as I had to drop something off at my Bro-in-laws office there. Unfortunately didn't have my phone so no pics though it was glorious sunshine with a cold and strong wind blowing the dry sand about.

As an aside and talking of beaches my daughter arrived at Fort De Soto in Florida this morning just before they shut the camp/ resort to all new guests. They travelled all night which was just as well given the closure. Their thinking was that if they were going to have to self isolate for 14 days they might as well do it in warmth and at a beach. Sunset there this evening.

466B4728-2188-4072-A258-010A48F71475.png

76338077-57C4-49B6-9680-F832845A6332.png

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

C'mon chaps, it's sunny, it's not the end of the world.

<scratch-scratch-yawn> Oh, hang on. Damn, we are doomed after all.

• Like 2

Posted

Certainly starting to feel like spring outside. 9C this afternoon in Edinburgh, surprised it’s so warm considering the isotherms well below zero. Some cloud around but also plenty of sun. Latest GFS runs indicating the high pressure may be strong enough to push away the atlantic fronts... although still a fair amount of cloud around as we head into next week. “Beast from the east” most likely to impact italy, I’m concerned about the impact it will have on agriculture over there... some very low temperatures for the time of year expected if confirmed

• Like 2

Posted

Nature woke up early this year due to the exceptionally mild winter and spring, so these temperatures could still have an adverse effect. 

Models are still very undecided on where the cold air is heading, just yesterday it was meant to halt over the balkans and sink into greece. Could even end up over the UK after warming up and crossing most of europe (GFS 12) 

08E649AD-D48E-4B9C-A7A9-157B8283F1A9.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Fine day with lght winds plenty  of sunshine and an occasional light shower.Great spring light with an arctic sky and snow covered hills. My favourite weather at this time of year.Ground surface stilll drying up but still very wet underneath.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Fine day with lght winds plenty  of sunshine and an occasional light shower.Great spring light with an arctic sky and snow covered hills. My favourite weather at this time of year.Ground surface stilll drying up but still very wet underneath.

Yes absolutely. We need a few more days but tomorrow at midday is showing ‘moderate’ UV levels and I could certainly feel the sun today on my face. Glorious. Fields will hopefully dry up.

Lucky to have fields around me and access to a car so any isolation can be a fitness boost. Sadly a complete lack of guidance at work which is standard (shakes head)

- However at least my job is guaranteed so I feel thankful

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Re the Italian weather I saw snow in San Marino one May in the early nineties at what is not a particularly high altitude and not all that far North.

Here today it felt mild in the sun with a max temp of 9.7C though just managed an air frost earlier with a min of -0.1C

For the attention of @shuggee and @Benvironment that was my 31st of the winter (+Spring and Autumn), 16 of which occurred before the new year.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 4

Posted

Another respectable dry day, though a bit cloudier than yesterday. 

Max of 9c and with light winds, in the sunshine felt very pleasant indeed.

Lucky to have skylarks near the house and with the breeding season starting they are constantly soaring above the house in full song just now, one of the highlights of spring.

• Like 6