Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
12 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Imagine living through the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic. 500 million infected globally with the death toll put anywhere between 17 and 100 million.

The risk is with the current C19 virus is it mutates into something more severe. As for a vaccine, 4 of the other coronavirus, still dont have a vaccine developed. 

I did read that the Spanish Influenza mutated far faster than C19 can. Certainly not within 12 months, however, who actually knows...

I work in Emergency services so i’m going to get it which is fine but can’t see my 96 year old Nana (who doesn’t see many people bar family so a shame for her) and my Dad is 72 with (mild) COPD. Uncle is 81 and is recovering from triple heart bypass surgery. So hopefully I don’t infect those around me but hey ho, do my best

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

It feels like living through the Black Death. Or Spanish  Flu. Watching history unfolding.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
14 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Imagine living through the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic. 500 million infected globally with the death toll put anywhere between 17 and 100 million.

The risk is with the current C19 virus is it mutates into something more severe. As for a vaccine, 4 of the other coronavirus, still dont have a vaccine developed. 

Also in 1919 there were one and a half billion people in the world. Now there are five times that number so if it is similar  the casualty rate could be five times as high. Having said that in some parts of the world at least intensive care procedures are much better now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
7 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

A jolly day on the hills with some just-melting snow.  Also I saw a small flock of snow buntings, and a white hare, and heard my first golden plover of the year...  strathconon1.thumb.jpg.53a5c14fe940dcc2dd0909d351e330b5.jpg  strathconon2.thumb.jpg.71b0ead0f7e90895ac5bdb1dcbe4179d.jpg

Rather hoping my work will get shut down so I can get on with doing some other things but can't see it happening, money-grabbing bastards they are.

No deer?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
Just now, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

No deer?

Oh there were plenty, just rather camera shy. That area in general has far too may deer for the ground, maintained artificially high by winter feeding. Did I miss or forget a joke?:blink2:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
On 13/03/2020 at 19:53, shuggee said:

Thirty-third air frost last night at -0.5°C.

Really quite a nice day. 

Gawd, still on just 7 since 1st December! I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the first March I've had here without one.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
13 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Gawd, still on just 7 since 1st December! I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the first March I've had here without one.

Must be due to being up the hill a bit. Even here near theTay to the West of Dundee I have had two or three air frosts this month. 
Which hills were you up yesterday? Feel that I should recognise them but cannot place them. Laggan area?

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3

Posted

Back inside as torrential rain on and currently 6c.  Looks as though we are going back to a foot and mouth 2001 /BSE 1996  situation on the farm with little contact with other farms and our breeding heifers sold  by online streaming in mid April.(video in 2001)

• Like 6

Posted
12 hours ago, Benvironment said:

Looks like the end of the week and over next weekend should produce some more widespread frostyness. 

My weather station is on an east facing slope at 40° with the hill rising 150m above the cottage. So we are sheltered to the prevailing sw and w'ly wind which we've had a lot of! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
23 hours ago, Norrance said:

Must be due to being up the hill a bit. Even here near theTay to the West of Dundee I have had two or three air frosts this month. 
Which hills were you up yesterday? Feel that I should recognise them but cannot place them. Laggan area?

Yep on frosty nights it’s always a bit warmer up here, but for the previous nine winters the number of air frosts has been anywhere between 20 and 40. 7 is woeful in comparison. A strange year ☹️

And yep, spot on with Laggan. It’s Geal Charn

• Like 7

Posted

Fine start to the day at -1c  Mud all gone for an hour or too with ground frozen hard.March living up to its name as a  hungry month with thousands of geese going from field to field looking for feed.With all the wet and recent cold nights the grass/winter cereal  fields are bare and yellow /brown and certainly not green.No sign of sustained warm/dry weather.

Some farmers in Aberdeenshire are however sowing but they are in the minority across the UK

• Like 8

Posted

Quick photo from yesterday afternoon with my young fella - drizzly showers:

IMG_20200315_141525.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
20 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Quick photo from yesterday afternoon with my young fella - drizzly showers:

IMG_20200315_141525.jpg

A strong contender for Net weathers fittest dog.

• Like 5

Posted

Highest temperature of the day outside at the moment at 9.1c.

All academic as the strong SW wind cuts right through you making it feel well below freezing.

Dry all day with glimpses of sun; reasonable weather to start painting all of the fences (after donning the arctic jacket).

Quite a bit of colour now in the garden and only a couple of weeks until the clocks go forward.

Corydalis looking particularly good, alas flowers are short lived.

image.thumb.png.2aeb60a24d5d3a6d0de50914eca6d510.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
13 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Some farmers in Aberdeenshire are however sowing but they are in the minority across the UK

Not sure about sowing but virtually all the fields around my house are now ploughed (and the roads feel and look as if the've been ploughed too at times). 

• Like 4

Posted
35 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Not sure about sowing but virtually all the fields around my house are now ploughed (and the roads feel and look as if the've been ploughed too at times). 

They're ploughing muddy water in places in Easter Ross.

• Like 2

Posted

Nice morning here with another air frost early. Clouding over by afternoon with rain and high winds moving in. 
Supermarket quiet this afternoon but lots of bare shelves around.

CD53D9C8-5D85-40E7-A093-51D88ED41854.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Yesterday was mince! Had a gust of 60.4 mph at lunchtime, Those kind of wind speeds were not forecast! Thankfully calmer today but still a bit dreich. Temp 6.3c. Roll on the weekend when we will have some actual sunshine! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

HC I love golden plover, not heard any here for a few years. Beautiful noise and beautiful birds.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, mardatha said:

HC I love golden plover, not heard any here for a few years. Beautiful noise and beautiful birds.

I agree. They have a lovely mournful call. Breeding bird season just getting under way so more birds showing and calling now.

• Like 2