Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

OOOOOOOERRRR MISSUS! Humungous hauf croon sized snawflakes falling as I type! No way did I expect that! It won't last though as ground is sodden and it's not very cold, but at least it snowed! ❄️❄️❄️

• Like 7

Posted

Wet afternoon in St Andrews. 5c/4c.

• Like 3

Posted

Reasonable day after a cold start (-1c overnight).

60:40 mix of cloud/sunshine with a light to moderate breeze, dry throughout.  When the sun was out felt very pleasant indeed.

Had to do some shopping and that was not pleasant, Costco & Aldi the busiest I have ever seen them and that was mid-morning!

• Like 4

Posted

This week so far in Dunoon has been cloudy with showers no real change then! Today was very windy for a while in the afternoon with a few heavy hail showers but mostly it's all just been rain. The snow on the hills around here has almost gone now. The good news is high pressure looks to be coming in next week giving us some drier and settled weather but how long it will last is still uncertain at the moment.

• Like 7

Posted

Turning increasingly from heavy sleet to wet snow as the temp drops. Hideous evening! One of the worst cycles home yet! Horrid!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Really solid big flakes here, blowing sideways and lying.

• Like 5

Posted
13 hours ago, Quinach said:

Reasonable day after a cold start (-1c overnight).

60:40 mix of cloud/sunshine with a light to moderate breeze, dry throughout.  When the sun was out felt very pleasant indeed.

Had to do some shopping and that was not pleasant, Costco & Aldi the busiest I have ever seen them and that was mid-morning!

I hit up Tescos Inverurie at 6an, the store is deserted. No C19 so far.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
57 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

I hit up Tescos Inverurie at 6an, the store is deserted. No C19 so far.

Not a happy state of affairs. I just wish the young people would take their personal hygiene seriously.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well we're well stocked up on loo rolls anyway, via accidental panic buys. I was at Home Bargains last week so grabbed a pack of 18, only to find wife  had done similar the previous week when I went to put them in the cupboard. That was on top of what was already there. Even for 4 of us we should be OK for quite a while, lol. 

Back on weather news, 1C with a dusting of wet looking snow on the hills around Alford this morning. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

If people are interested, at work (chemistry lab) we just made up our own hand sanitizer

You can get recipes on the internet, but it's just alcohol and a thickener / moisturizer (to stop it evaporating too quick + drying your skin too much).

We tried various mixtures and settled on 70% surgical spirit (denatured ethanol / booze alcohol) / 15% glycerin and 15% propylene glycol by volume.

Likewise aloe vera gel can be used instead of glycerin / propylene glycol if you have posh hands.

Glycerin and propylene glycol are vapouriser liquids / food grade, so you can get everything on ebay / amazon now easy.

They are both edible, but don't drink the stuff (I'm talking to you HC!) as the denatured alcohol will make you sick.

Please follow appropriate H&S, and I take no responsibility for the mess you make in the kitchen.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

If people are interested, at work (chemistry lab) we just made up our own hand sanitizer

You can get recipes on the internet, but it's just alcohol and a thickener / moisturizer (to stop it evaporating too quick + drying your skin too much).

We tried various mixtures and settled on 70% surgical spirit (denatured ethanol / booze alcohol) / 15% glycerin and 15% propylene glycol by volume.

Likewise aloe vera gel can be used instead of glycerin / propylene glycol if you have posh hands.

Glycerin and propylene glycol are vapouriser liquids / food grade, so you can get everything on ebay / amazon now easy.

They are both edible, but don't drink the stuff (I'm talking to you HC!) as the denatured alcohol will make you sick.

Please follow appropriate H&S, and I take no responsibility for the mess you make in the kitchen.

Vinegar is reputed to wipe out viruses, I've heard. Cheaper than most stuff, especially vodka and no temptation to drink it. Even with chips 

• Like 4

Posted
35 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Vinegar is reputed to wipe out viruses, I've heard. Cheaper than most stuff, especially vodka and no temptation to drink it. Even with chips 

Slapping it on your hands regularly will also aid with social distancing I imagine too. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Wonder why they haven't dug a ditch there Catch? That would fix it.

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Slapping it on your hands regularly will also aid with social distancing I imagine too. 

Well yeah, I guess. But it's more for cleaning and disinfecting door handles, light switches, toilet knobs (what do you call the things you push on the top of newer toilets anyway?) and so on, esp for viruses.

Not much weather however. Rather uneventful, as is usual at the end of winter.

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Sunny intervals and feeling cool at 4C. Hopefully make a dent in this lot before darkness sets in.

20200313_141525.jpg

Try running at it fast and taking a swing at it with a fence post? :whistling:

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Try running at it fast and taking a swing at it with a fence post? :whistling:

Graft abandoned - to cold to be messing about outside. That snowshovel hasn't seen active service since 2011.

• Like 3

Posted

Thirty-third air frost last night at -0.5°C.

Really quite a nice day. 

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Well yeah, I guess. But it's more for cleaning and disinfecting door handles, light switches, toilet knobs (what do you call the things you push on the top of newer toilets anyway?) and so on, esp for viruses.

Not much weather however. Rather uneventful, as is usual at the end of winter.

Ethanol:

1-s2.0-S0195670118X00048-cov150h.gif
WWW.SCIENCEDIRECT.COM

Ethanol is used worldwide in healthcare facilities for hand rubbing. It has been reported to have a stronger and broader virucidal activity compared w…

Vinegar:

8807274-16x9-large.jpg?v=2
WWW.ABC.NET.AU

Plenty of people swear by vinegar, but can it actually kill nasty household bugs?

Interestingly, the first mentions citric acid (the tang in lemon juice) as a good anti-viral. It smells and tastes nicer than acetic!

---

As for the weather, how come winter keeps bloody arriving when we want spring!

Charts showing beasterlies developing FGS.

t850Midlothian.png

-10 T850s!

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Lovely bright sunny day. 

Job interview went OK (I think) though its always disconcerting to know your oldest son is older than the person interviewing you. 

Virus - have moved to seriously worried mode, 90 yo mum, 80 ym mum in law, 21 yo immune compromised nephew and more (pretty sure we'll all be in this boat). 

We've not stocked up, but we already had a camping stash so no need. 

Hope all are well. 

• Like 7

Posted

Cold wet start to the day, typical given I've still 3 bags of firewood to move and dump into the wood shed.

Currently 2C windy and cold rain.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, snowidea said:

Lovely bright sunny day. 

Job interview went OK (I think) though its always disconcerting to know your oldest son is older than the person interviewing you. 

Virus - have moved to seriously worried mode, 90 yo mum, 80 ym mum in law, 21 yo immune compromised nephew and more (pretty sure we'll all be in this boat). 

We've not stocked up, but we already had a camping stash so no need. 

Hope all are well. 

Imagine living through the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic. 500 million infected globally with the death toll put anywhere between 17 and 100 million.

The risk is with the current C19 virus is it mutates into something more severe. As for a vaccine, 4 of the other coronavirus, still dont have a vaccine developed. 

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 3