Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Cleared another cm of wet stuff from driveway before bed. Still light flurries but that should be the bulk of it over now, so anyone up for guessing how long my piles (of snow) last? If it freezes overnight I suspect I could have remnants into the weekend or beyond. 

• Like 8

Posted

Considering how bad December and January have been, it's been nice to see a few snowfalls over the last couple of weeks. The blizzardy showers from the west were quite exciting to watch too (10-12 February and again last Saturday)

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

wrf has snow for here and a few other places through the night but I dont know if I have the energy left to get my hopes up again  and @Mr Frost tomorrow looks a great day for you for taking cloud pics with lots of showers with sleet, snow and thunder all possible ?️ This before it melts in the morning nmm_uk1-45-14-3.thumb.png.6c74104d08a5fc25690af44b5e5fb4ab.png current temps here 1.2 C / DP 0.7 C

• Like 8

Posted

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

-4 to -2C on this mornings commute, with mist lying in the valleys. Still plenty of now slightly frozen snow lying at home but very little in Inverurie. Car was vibrating at certain speeds this morning, hopefully just frozen snow stuck somewhere and nothing more sinister after yesterdays snow plough impression. 

• Like 8

Posted

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could advise - I'm looking at getting my snow fix (just to see it on the hills this winter would be something for me)

I'm thinking of spending a long weekend in the Cairngorms. Cottage, log fire, wine - that kind of thing. Some places I've looked at are Ballater, Braemar, Tomintoul, Aviemore and Grantown-on-Spey.

Would I go wrong getting an air bnb in any of these places and travelling around the area sightseeing? 

Appreciate any insight. Thanks :-) 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
40 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could advise - I'm looking at getting my snow fix (just to see it on the hills this winter would be something for me)

I'm thinking of spending a long weekend in the Cairngorms. Cottage, log fire, wine - that kind of thing. Some places I've looked at are Ballater, Braemar, Tomintoul, Aviemore and Grantown-on-Spey.

Would I go wrong getting an air bnb in any of these places and travelling around the area sightseeing? 

Appreciate any insight. Thanks

While all are great I think that if you are going to be driving about there are more options from Speyside, especially if you want to go West at all. If you have younger family there are also more things to do and see especially for kids. Having said that Upper Deeside is beautiful and is well worth a visit.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Coopsy said:

Hi all,

Appreciate any insight. Thanks

I would tend to agree with Norrance above.

I was in Ballater and Tomintoul last Thursday, albeit before the weekend snow event, and the snow cover around there was quite sparse. A peek at the Cairngorm webcams this morning indicates quite a snowy scene there at present, and so maybe the area between Aviemore and Grantown-on-Spey would be worth considering, and as has been said, is a good starting point for exploring further west.

Edited by ciel
  • Like 3

Posted

Thank you both for your insight. I’ll take that into account. Braemar has suddenly become a top pick based on those pics! Nice ❄️ 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
4 hours ago, Coopsy said:

Thank you both for your insight. I’ll take that into account. Braemar has suddenly become a top pick based on those pics! Nice ❄️ 

Not too much to do though.... No offence tiff couldn't agree more re the guys, I have a timeshare in Aviemore which has a real buzz to it these days and plenty activities and a close drive to the cairngorm or Loch morlich and to a large city Inverness.... Really has a bit of everything. 

• Like 8

Posted
6 hours ago, Coopsy said:

Theres a good coffee shop in Braemar. Wood burning stove and great cakes. The perfect warm up if you've been up to Glenshee. 

As others have mentioned, upper Deeside is picture postcard stuff, especially during Autumn and Winter.

Consider driving the notorious Cockbridge to Tomintoul road. Stunning scenery

Enjoy your trip! 

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 6

Posted

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Let’s see how this turns out. ❄️

Had a wee light snow shower just before sunset earlier.

Edit: Stunning pictures below @Northern Strath - my personal favourites are the third, fourth and sixth one! Christmas card scenes! Glad to hear you did not get snowed in and got a perfect day for a walk about in it! ⛄

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 9

Posted

First air frost since 12 Feb tonight. Currently 0.0°C and modest snow cover. Twenty sixth this season. 

• Like 9

Posted

These showers to the west are just starting to catch my location, and they are snow. Lying on the grass, but not hard surfaces.

IMG_6048.thumb.PNG.27744cd02d621458c23b08ec348f7485.PNG

Edited by JamesM
  • Like 9