Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter, hot summer

Interestingly Monday will be 10 years exactly since what was an epic snow event for some parts.

• Like 6

Posted

Still very windy with odd sleet and snow showers. Curently 1.5c  Some snow in very sheltered parts has lain all day since this morning so the days are gradually getting colder A maximum of about 5c today. Mini lakes/lochs in every field. Seriously in need of some frost or drying weather

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I'd like to know what to expect on Mon too. Son needs to get to docs urgently.

Posted

Was just looking at the rainfall figures for the month so far: 359mm in Tulloch Bridge. God knows what western mountains will have seen!

Only 32mm in Aberdeen, they must be wondering what all the fuss is about!

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html

• Like 5

Posted

February 2020 is currently the 5th wettest month in the last 10 years at my local station. 44mm more and it will be the 3rd.

Grim,

My watch has a rechargeable battery and with the lack of sunshine and a house full of LED lights, it hasn't worked for 3 weeks 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
52 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

And there's the Edinburgh snow shield

That's what I was thinking!

It may well snow in Glasgow but similar to th snowfall we have had so far, I expect it to melt immediately.

• Like 2

Posted
54 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Was just looking at the rainfall figures for the month so far: 359mm in Tulloch Bridge. God knows what western mountains will have seen!

Only 32mm in Aberdeen, they must be wondering what all the fuss is about!

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html

Western mountains must be buried in lots of snow , spring skiing should last until June with 100 mile an hour winds burying gullies . The scars on the mountains in late spring should be impressive and prove that at least the mountains had a winter.

Rain has nearly always made it to us in large quantities.Last nght was no exception Normally Nairnshire is very dry but this winter we are not far enough east. I think east of Elgin has been where the rain begins to fade out.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 7

Posted

Meh! Hideous day really. Windy, wet, cold, sleety pish, haily(?) pish, rain, wet snow, next to bugger all settling! Rubbish as expected

• Like 7

Posted

Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss snow on Monday. 0C over the forth Monday morning even as the milder uppers flow in, hopefully GFS is right. Reminds me a bit of the snow event we had in December 2018 where uppers were hovering around 0 and ground temperatures stayed very low on eastern winds. 

39-778UK.gif

• Like 7

Posted

Looking north this afternoon. Looked outside at 10pm and said it is basws outside. Totally confused my wife and she looked out knew what I meant. 88427B36-AC89-4D59-8B15-652E618AA55B.thumb.jpeg.6c3363541e8ea03872ee282570b0aa9f.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
3 hours ago, mardatha said:

I'd like to know what to expect on Mon too. Son needs to get to docs urgently.

Will get the best idea through tomorrows runs but ATM models showing wide area of at least 5cm it is due to a developing low moving into the colder air 20200222.1649.PPVI89.png and given the timing likely to be through the morning rush I wonder if an amber warning will be issued, though knowing the MO they will wait til cars are struggling before that happens  

• Like 8

Posted

The precipitation is much more organised than I expected for the central belt South at the moment based on forecasts I've seen, although I haven't look at the charts....could help to lower the freezing level. 

Lots of accidents reported on the M77 this evening due to the heavy hailstorms and snow. 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
36 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Significant snow upgrades for this area during Monday:

Screenshot_20200223-070208_Met Office.jpg

I was just going to post that, now showing heavy snow all the way from 11:00 through 19:00. First time this winter we've had anything like that appearing in the forecast, and with winds from the east there's no mountains in the way. 

Only one problem, its arriving to late to 'interfere' with my ability to get to work, but easily early enough to have time to give me problems getting home. 

• Like 4

Posted

Am worried sick about tomorrow. Son is on essential meds and has to collect them tomorrow. The surgery is 10 miles down the A7 and the buses won't be running as the moor will shut for sure. He just started a great new job and he needs these pills tomorrow as he leaves tomorrow night for 4 days with work. He uses a motorbike for transport which is a hell of a lot of use in this weather. So unless he trudges 10 miles in a blizzard or can hitch a lift from a passing local in a 4x4, he's in dire trouble. I've been up half the night worrying about it which didnt help at all

• Like 4

Posted
29 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Am worried sick about tomorrow. Son is on essential meds and has to collect them tomorrow. The surgery is 10 miles down the A7 and the buses won't be running as the moor will shut for sure. He just started a great new job and he needs these pills tomorrow as he leaves tomorrow night for 4 days with work. He uses a motorbike for transport which is a hell of a lot of use in this weather. So unless he trudges 10 miles in a blizzard or can hitch a lift from a passing local in a 4x4, he's in dire trouble. I've been up half the night worrying about it which didnt help at all

Maybe book a cheap gaff near the surgery for one night? Not ideal but puts him where he needs to be.

• Like 7

Posted

Forecast locally for tomorrow is the usual garbage of 'Sleet and snow with coastal rain". These frontal affairs rarely produce for round here so I'm tempering my expectations

• Like 2

Posted
39 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Maybe book a cheap gaff near the surgery for one night? Not ideal but puts him where he needs to be.

I just thought of that after I posted, thanks thanks north xxx

• Like 4